You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Michael Robinson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 11:15am
Great watching that clip.

I liked Jimmy Magee but he's a bit disingenuous with his remarks about Robinsons Irish qualification.
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
Sponsored Links

Neil Armstrong View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cyavan Cyunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Armstrong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 11:21am
yeah and there we are bleating on about a certain manager getting the sack, this puts it all in perspective I loved Michael Robinson my stand out moment 1981 ROI 3-2 France he puts us three one up, my late Father and older brother were at it and I got to watch in School thru Religion class still have the programme somewhere my father and second eldest brother were both diagnose with cancer within 3 months of each other in 2016, brother passed away March 2017 53, my father passed away the end of January this year 79, cancer can fcuk off!
Ulster Champions 2020 our 40th Title. Take that all ye Moanaghan ***ts!
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 11:48am
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

I liked Jimmy Magee but he's a bit disingenuous with his remarks about Robinsons Irish qualification.

Bit embarrassing the way he gives himself credit for changing McDonagh's name to Seamus as well.
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 12:27pm
Really liked Robbo as a player, a marauding, strong and really honest lad who scored some cracking goals for us and always left everything on the pitch.

Pretty grim prognosis. Cry
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
irelandshirts View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
I love Ireland jerseys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandshirts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 1:43pm
Very sad news to hear about Michael Robinson. As FW says a very grim prognosis. We wish him well with the road ahead.

This is the Irish shirt Micheal wore v Norway on the 17th October 1984 in a World Cup qualifier in Oslo.

WWW.IRELANDSOCCERSHIRTS.COM

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

Bit embarrassing the way he gives himself credit for changing McDonagh's name to Seamus as well.
Completely out of character for Jim...
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by irelandshirts irelandshirts wrote:

Very sad news to hear about Michael Robinson. As FW says a very grim prognosis. We wish him well with the road ahead.

This is the Irish shirt Micheal wore v Norway on the 17th October 1984 in a World Cup qualifier in Oslo.

After getting off to a great start, beating the Soviet Union at home, the 1986 world cup qualifying campaign was a huge disappointment. Ouch

TeamPldWDLGFGAGDPts
 Denmark8512176+1111
 Soviet Union8422138+510
  Switzerland8242510−58
 Republic of Ireland8224510−56
 Norway8134410−65

irelandshirts View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
I love Ireland jerseys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandshirts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2018 at 11:59am
Yes certainly a disappointing campaign given the Russian result and the players that were in and around that squad:

McDonagh,Bonner,Langan, Moran,McCarthy,Lawrenson, O Callaghan, Daly, O Leary, Beglin, Brady, Grealish, Robinson, Whelan, Stapelton, McGrath, Hughton, Galvin, Sheedy, Cascarino

Many of these players probably grew into international football during Eoin Hands reign and when Jack arrived in 1986 the likes of Bonner,Hughton Moran,McGrath,Lawrenson,Whelan,Sheedy,Galvin,Stapelton were in or around their prime from 1986-1990.

The really incredible thing was the amount of different O Neills kits that the Irish team wore from 1983 to 1985. Many for only one game.

Edited by irelandshirts - 19 Dec 2018 at 12:13pm
WWW.IRELANDSOCCERSHIRTS.COM

skylarking View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skylarking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2018 at 12:43pm
@irelandshirts - Some beauties in there! Bring back O'Neills - drop the gammy sponsor.

Very sad to hear about Michael Robinson. He was the starting striker in my first ever Irish international match. 
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2018 at 8:51pm
He famously set up Mickey Walsh's goal against the USSR in September 1984 too......went on a charging run down the right and whipped in the cross for him

zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 8:33am
Just announced on his Twitter account (in spanish) that he's passed away.i think he was suffering from cancer. RIP
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 8:39am
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

He famously set up Mickey Walsh's goal against the USSR in September 1984 too......went on a charging run down the right and whipped in the cross for him

one of my earlier memories - jumping around the living room when that one went in. RIP.
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 8:47am
Very sad

RIP
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 9:16am
Very sad news indeed. Got into the squad just after I starting attending games as a boy. Scored a couple of big goals against Holland and France in the 82 qualifiers and would have played in that Worhd Cup had we not been robbed of our rightful place. It was also his goal that was disallowed for no reason whatsoever away to France in that campaign. Unfortunately no one got to see it as the feed from Paris failed just before it and all we had was commentary. 

Was actually part of the team who won the famous Icelandic tournament that led to David O'Leary's exclusion but never got another chance under Jack. European Cup winner with Liverpool as well. RIP.

Edited by Drumcondra 69er - 28 Apr 2020 at 9:25am
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 9:23am
Sad news. He was a big personality and reinvented himself in Spain and had a very successful career as a pundit. 

RIP
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Daragho View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daragho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 9:32am
RIP. I remember him well from those games in the early '80s. A friend who lives in Barcelona said he was the go-to pundit on TV for him, very insightful and not full of the one-sided bluster that a lot of the other pundits were guilty of.
packiesglove View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote packiesglove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 9:59am
so sorry to hear this . Fine player. R.I.P ❤️
When you're chewing on life's gristle, don't worry give a whistle....
fochie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fochie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 10:02am
Ar Dheis de go raibh a anam.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic