You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Michael O'Neill - An Uncle Tom

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangere_here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2021 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

I know quite a few from a RC background who support NI.  I don't really know their politics.

Some of it is an age thing.  We had very few fans from north of the border until the past 30 years or so.  It is mainly anecdotal but you wouldn't hear northern accents in the 70's & 80's at Lansdowne.  There were 3 or 4 Cliftonville fans who followed us away in the 80's.  Now we have probably proportionally more home and away fans from north of the border than south of it.     

Some of this is down to northern born players playing for us in the 1990's as that hadn't happened since the 1940's.  

Now our side is seen very much as representing the whole island.  This was definitely not the case until recently.  

There was also widespread support south of the border for NI in the 82 & 86 World Cups.  I know in 93 a lot of the hurt over NI wanting to win so badly rankled with those who cheered them on in the 80's.  I did point out I know loads of England fans who want us to win but........ "Ah but that's different"

This. Even during the Troubles, there were fan buses from the quays in Dublin up to Windsor Park back in the day, as uncomfortable as that will be to stomach for some here.

Edited by dangere_here - 14 Dec 2021 at 2:52pm
Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011
  Share Topic