Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Michael Obafemi

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9192939495 125>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 11:25am
confident he'll show up
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Sponsored Links

Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 11:31am
100% included and 90% will show up.

I really hope he's played in a game (more than 1, as a starter at CF) and we put this to bed and move onto the next one Big smile

Edited by Fozz - 24 May 2022 at 11:34am
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 11:51am
A few Irish player tracker entities have fairly put it out there that he's going to be so they and their sources will look pretty stupid if he doesn't for a start.

Still have this nagging feeling he won't be but all logic dictates he should be. He would be a real asset in these 4 games coming up and would be perfect to play up top. We do lack a player to play that role he played at Swansea up top.

Edited by kevin100 - 24 May 2022 at 11:52am
Pinginí View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinginí Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 11:59am
I think he'll be included but I'm 50/50 on whether he commits. Nagging felling is something is off with his relationship with Ireland/Kenny. I hope to be proven very wrong and can't wait to see him at the Aviva in a few weeks.

He'll get some reception when he makes his home debut.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 12:16pm
We have to bear in mind that Armenia will sit back and absorb, so we need to be clever in this first match to unlock them.
I'd pick Obafemi as our best CF but am not sure he's best suited to this opening match.

Possibly go Parrott up top in this one, as he's a more technical player who is happy to come deep and make things happen.

Robinson is a flat-track bully so play him left and I guess Ogbene right.
Stimpy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stimpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

We have to bear in mind that Armenia will sit back and absorb, so we need to be clever in this first match to unlock them.
I'd pick Obafemi as our best CF but am not sure he's best suited to this opening match.

Possibly go Parrott up top in this one, as he's a more technical player who is happy to come deep and make things happen.

If he can bang them out for fun in the Championship he'll be grand against Armenia
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by Pinginí Pinginí wrote:

So what's everyone's predictions for Obafemi heading into the camp?

Not included
Included and shows up to camp
Included and pulls out for one reason or another.

I await tomorrow with bated breath. Big smile

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 24 May 2022 at 3:07pm
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 12:58pm
I'm not concerned with who's front so much against Armenia. If they play a low block, our lack of creativity and guile in midfield will be our main issue. Same old story.
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

I'm not concerned with who's front so much against Armenia. If they play a low block, our lack of creativity and guile in midfield will be our main issue. Same old story.

This is why we should be looking to develop the technical ability of our young players. 

The amount of times we've seen senior players try to cross the ball and hit the first man time and time again. Or poor passing ability which is compensated by passing backwards more often than not.

We are developing next to nothing it the clubs aboard that do all the development 
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 2:41pm
I've no worries about him getting the call, nor showing up.

Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

I don't think Armenia will just sit in for this. They're the home team, it's a competitive game, they'll be looking at us as 3rd seeds as their best chance at picking up points to avoid relegation. They're on par with the likes of Luxembourg & Georgia, so it won't be another Lithuania situation.

On the front 3 - playing 3 out and out strikers/forwards doesn't really work for us. We've done it numerous time now and it's always clunky & disjointed (although we still create chances).

vs Lithuania - Robinson/Keane/Ogbene didn't work.
vs Lux away - Robinson/Idah/Ogbene wasn't working until Knight came on for Idah & change the game.
vs Azer home - Connolly/Idah/Parrott didn't work. Horgan came on for Connolly, but we were 0-1 down at that point & starting to panic.

We need 1 of the front 3 to be an attacking-mid (Knight/Browne/McGrath) to give balance.

I'd agree with stimpy on this one.. I'd also say that obafemi is a poacher in front of goal as well as a very good finisher. His movement in the 6 yard box is excellent and he'll want a goal.

For me the question is, who plays up front with obafemi rather than does obafemi play.

I don't think Obafemi goes straight into the XI. New teammates & tactics, he'll probably need some time to bed in. Sub him in in the 1st & 2nd games, see how he's adjusting, then maybe start him in the 3rd or 4th game.

I'd go Knight/Robinson/Ogbene, tried and trusted at this point, they'll get goals.
Ideal scenario - score 2 or 3 early, get key players off early (Robinson, Ogbene, Cullen), then you can bring Obafemi into a situation where there's no pressure on him to score straight away.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 2:44pm
Can't see Robinson and Ogbene not starting, and Knight will surely start against Scotland and Ukraine to give that extra man in midfield.

Even against Armenia who I don't think will be all out defensive at home in the first game his pressing in the attacking areas will be valuable. Think missing out in March will see Obafemi starting from the bench and coming on early in the second half.
CillDara View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 4:54pm
I think he will be in the squad and turn up. Hopefully he gets some decent time on the pitch. Ogbene, Robinson, Knight, Parrott are probably ahead of him in the pecking order for the front 3 roles rightly or wrongly, but I hope he gets at least one start and a few good sub appearances with a view to him starting in future. For a team that didn't have much pace in it for a long time, having Ogbene and Obafemi up top would be a real headache for any team. 
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 4:56pm
Imagine his attitude if he was called up, worked like a dog in training and didnt get minutes as that's the induction process kid.... "you'll get in next time"
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Pinginí View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinginí Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 5:16pm
Could totally see him being picked and Kenny leaving him out of the matchday 23 for James Collins and Will Keane for all the games. 
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 5:31pm

I think he'll start the first game.

Kenny has not been perturbed in playing Mcgrath, Ogbene, Idah from the get go.

Obafemi is clearly the best option  we have up front so what would he wait for?

He’s done nothing for Ireland!

Robinson, Parrott and Ogbene all rightly ahead of him! Hope he gets off the bench mind.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Robinson, Parrott and Ogbene all rightly ahead of him! Hope he gets off the bench mind.

4 games in what, 12 days? I think they'll all see plenty of game time inc Obafemi. Hes really the only out and out striker we have, the others would be more so vying with each other for the other 2 positions behind him in the 10. 

If it was me, I'd be starting with

Obafemi
    Robinson       Ogbene

But I reckon Kenny will go

Robinson
      Knight      Ogbene

Still dont think he sees Parrott as a started just yet.

If I was to predict a wild card, Mark Sykes might get thrown into the mix.

BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 6:16pm

Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

You pick the inform players surely? Robinson has not finished the season well, ogbene is not a forward and like parrott is playing league1 where obafemi is championship. 

Hypothetically speaking - if Horgan, for example, plays well for ireland against Oman, would you say he's grand for the next game against Germany?

You pick the players that suit Stephen Kenny’s system, the Swansea manager may play a completely different type of football to what we play so you can’t just throw him up top and expect things to click straight away! Kenny has been good in bringing players into the squad and letting them get used to how we train and how we play rather than throwing them straight into the team. 

Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 6:24pm
You have the find the balance. You pick the players that suit the system, the form players and Conor Hourihane.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9192939495 125>
  Share Topic