You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mexico v Ireland - 1st June - Match Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 27>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mexico v Ireland - 1st June - Match Thread
    Posted: 27 May 2017 at 3:40pm
All chat about tickets, accomm and pubs in New York is now in the thread in the away travel forum.

Keep this section for the usual chat about the match itself Thumbs Up
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
Sponsored Links

deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2017 at 7:41pm
Anyone think that despite Roy talking about lads with the chance to impress the manager etc, MON has basically realised that this game is only a moneyspinner for FAI and has treated it accordingly (and correctly I might add, in my opinion, with bigger games to come) with it being effectively a 'B' squad ??

Don't get me wrong, Roy wasn't lying or anything, and if lads impress, they will be kept on in the squad for the next 2 games, and it is also a genuine opportunity to look at some new faces which I'm sure MON appreciates.  But as regards fellas putting their hand up to play V Austria, anyone playing here is unlikely to feature V austria, bar the lads already in the frame like Randolph, Christie, McClean & Murphy, who certainly won't be playing full parts in all 3 games either. Although Christie might, given we have no other RB's. 

I think MON has separated this game from the real preparations to an extent and is treating it as a one off game. If he is thinking of bringing in anyone V Austria, they will probably play part of the game V Uraguay alongside 7 or 8 of those who will play V Austria, I don't think this game, bar an exceptional performance by someone, will have much of a bearing on who plays in the Austria game.

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2017 at 7:46pm
Mickey Mouse game.  We already have one friendly to prepare. Don't need another one.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2017 at 9:37pm
There are no left backs in the squad going over and only one right back, Christie, who presumably they'll want to use sparingly.

Will be an odd line-up anyway.  The Mexico squad has all their star names, so should be a serious challenge for whoever gets picked.  

djhegzy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djhegzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2017 at 10:31pm
Is doherty not in the squad? I thought he was called up this time
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2017 at 10:48pm
Plus we will drop in the rankings as a result which may cost us a seeded draw in the platoffs
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2017 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

There are no left backs in the squad going over and only one right back, Christie, who presumably they'll want to use sparingly.

Will be an odd line-up anyway.  The Mexico squad has all their star names, so should be a serious challenge for whoever gets picked.  

Oh sh*t, you're right.
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 1:27am
Was basing the above on the squad predicted by Balls.ie in the link below, although I did think Doherty was in the squad myself (and well overdue a look-in).

DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 4:22am
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Was basing the above on the squad predicted by Balls.ie in the link below, although I did think Doherty was in the squad myself (and well overdue a look-in).

Doherty is injured, so he's definitely not in
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 7:56am
Plenty there to try three at the back
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
tonyjaa View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

WATP 55 not out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyjaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 12:48pm
Hayes had a great game yesterday - pity he picked up a knock and will likely miss this game as I think he would've started
tonyjaa View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

WATP 55 not out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyjaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 12:50pm
Where'd the other thread go?
CSCD View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CSCD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 2:23pm
greenforever View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Anyone think that despite Roy talking about lads with the chance to impress the manager etc, MON has basically realised that this game is only a moneyspinner for FAI and has treated it accordingly (and correctly I might add, in my opinion, with bigger games to come) with it being effectively a 'B' squad ??

Don't get me wrong, Roy wasn't lying or anything, and if lads impress, they will be kept on in the squad for the next 2 games, and it is also a genuine opportunity to look at some new faces which I'm sure MON appreciates.  But as regards fellas putting their hand up to play V Austria, anyone playing here is unlikely to feature V austria, bar the lads already in the frame like Randolph, Christie, McClean & Murphy, who certainly won't be playing full parts in all 3 games either. Although Christie might, given we have no other RB's. 

I think MON has separated this game from the real preparations to an extent and is treating it as a one off game. If he is thinking of bringing in anyone V Austria, they will probably play part of the game V Uraguay alongside 7 or 8 of those who will play V Austria, I don't think this game, bar an exceptional performance by someone, will have much of a bearing on who plays in the Austria game.

Surely that's not a bad thing, we need games to try out fringe players, and if the FAI can make serious revenue out of it, fair play, surely a lot better than losing money on a B game elsewhere.  It is not going to have a negative effect on our preparations for the Austria game, and just maybe we will see a few lads impressing.
I know nothing :-)
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 2:42pm
Except playing the game at all could make us unseeded for a play off draw, at least when it was arranged, which could cost us magnitudes of what we make from the game, ridiculous it's being played
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 2:43pm
I fear for our rankings with these 2 upcoming friendlies. Gone are the days when Kerr was beating top quality opposition in friendly games when they were significantly more competitive
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by greenforever greenforever wrote:

Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Surely that's not a bad thing, we need games to try out fringe players, and if the FAI can make serious revenue out of it, fair play, surely a lot better than losing money on a B game elsewhere.  It is not going to have a negative effect on our preparations for the Austria game, and just maybe we will see a few lads impressing.

It's all well and good making serious revenue when its going off stadium debt and hefty wages for the suits. Yet feck all of it is going back into grassroots or to help LOI clubs?

There is a negative effect on our world rankings by playing these meaningless friendless.....
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
djhegzy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djhegzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 2:49pm
How come mcgeady didn't turn up for the trip? Will he be available for the other teo games?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 27>
  Share Topic