You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mexico - 1st June - Travel/Accomm/General chat

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2017 at 3:11pm
Yeah, it's a bit of a break. Mexico are home to Honduras on the 8th and the USA on the 11th, so they'll not be risking their starters or doing much more than having a few days in NYC either.

The biggest problem is Drumpf's forces stopping the Mexicans getting into the US.
Sponsored Links

greenforever View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2017 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Yeah, it's a bit of a break. Mexico are home to Honduras on the 8th and the USA on the 11th, so they'll not be risking their starters or doing much more than having a few days in NYC either.

The biggest problem is Drumpf's forces stopping the Mexicans getting into the US.

Just as well Roy didn't bother going to Iraq for the playoff, that stamp in his passport might stop him getting into the states LOLLOLLOL 
I know nothing :-)
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2017 at 3:19pm
Just seeing this now.

Disappointing. Money grabbing.

We just about have a seeded position at the moment, and its a very fine margin.

Self-inflicted wound this. If anyone bemoans the draw in October when we play Italy or Spain or Holland in the playoffs, know this: we've a money-grabbing organisation in charge who havent a clue about rankings or anything like that, this is their f**king job, and they're clueless.

The money they'd make from qualifying far outweighs this and the iceland money. So annoyed at this.
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2017 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by greenforever greenforever wrote:

Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Just as well Roy didn't bother going to Iraq for the playoff, that stamp in his passport might stop him getting into the states LOLLOLLOL 

It was in Iran, and passports are only valid for 10 years.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2017 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

Just seeing this now.

Self-inflicted wound this. If anyone bemoans the draw in October when we play Italy or Spain or Holland in the playoffs, know this: we've a money-grabbing organisation person in charge who hasn't a clue about rankings or anything like that, this is his f**king job, and he's clueless.

The money they'd make from qualifying far outweighs this and the iceland money. So annoyed at this.

Fixed. We all know it's just the one person
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2017 at 3:30pm
Incidentally, the USA haven't played Mexico in a World Cup qualifier anywhere south of Columbus, Ohio since 1980. The North isn't exactly renowned for its Mexican population.

They could play every game in Dallas or LA, sell 80,000 tickets and lose in front of a partisan crowd, or play in Columbus, sell 20,000 tickets and win (which they did in most games, aside from the most recent), and qualify either way, but they still take a financial hit to help on field success. There's a lesson in that somewhere.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2017 at 3:59pm

Just seeing this now.

Self-inflicted wound this. If anyone bemoans the draw in October when we play Italy or Spain or Holland in the playoffs, know this: we've a money-grabbing organisation in charge who havent a clue about rankings or anything like that, this is their f**king job, and they're clueless.

Do you honestly believe that MON and Roy have no input into weather they play extra friendlies

Do you really believe they should have no warm up games before Austria.

To me I am far more concerned about winning against Austria than anything else, and you either have confidence in your management or don't.

Just playing friendlies (win or lose) will reduce our ranking points - should we stop playing friendlies ?  

FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2017 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by greenforever greenforever wrote:

Just seeing this now.

Do you honestly believe that MON and Roy have no input into weather they play extra friendlies

Do you really believe they should have no warm up games before Austria.

To me I am far more concerned about winning against Austria than anything else, and you either have confidence in your management or don't.

Just playing friendlies (win or lose) will reduce our ranking points - should we stop playing friendlies ?  

Wales stopped playing friendlies and they're now top seeds.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2017 at 4:25pm
I'm not sure there's a need for two friendlies after a long season. A squad of 25 can play a full eleven on eleven ninety minute match in training if you want more "match practice", and more's the point they can do it in a sunnier climate if you want too, even without heading to NYC. Why fly eight hours to New York and harm ranking points? You could quite easily fly to the Algarve, Italy or anywhere sunny in Europe in two or three hours, and play a training game there, even against another European side. The 0-0 training match against Northern Ireland in the Aviva didn't count towards ranking points and there's no reason why we need to play another ranking match in June.

That said, I have no great issues with it aside from the potential rankings issues; I certainly don't feel as strongly about it as Rolo does. It is entirely hypothetical that it will affect our ranking in a meaningful way (i.e. that it will be the difference between being a first and second seed in the playoffs if it comes to it, or the difference between being seeded or not seeded in Russia), but I still think there were ways of achieving the same aims as this match is designed to achieve, without affecting ranking points. FIFA rankings count for three things only: World Cup qualification draws, World Cup playoff draw and World Cup finals draws. It is quite hypothetical that it will affect either of the latter two and it very unlikely to affect the first in any great way, given that the next draw is between two and three years away.

However, the only reason to have this match, aside from the holiday, and aside from match practice, both of which can clearly be achieved in other ways, is money, but even that might not be that lucrative. It could be, of course, that all the FAI are getting out of this is the cost of flights to NYC and accommodation to go with for all travelling, which is still worth something (compared to the cost of a warm weather break in Europe for the squad, which would be pricey, when you count the cost of charter flights and the accommodation requirements for a squad of 25 plus coaches and officials for three nights - room each is, say, 40 rooms for 3 nights at €250 per night per room minimum for the standard of hotel required = €30,000, and chartering a plane return is not cheap, plus the other costs - I can't imagine change from €100,000 for organising a trip away like this). That's also entirely hypothetical of course, and there are bound to be commercial confidentiality requirements, so we'll never know what the terms of the game are.

The break certainly has some positives behind it. If it increases the chances of us beating Austria, all the better, and it might well do that. The downsides are hypothetical but there are other ways of achieving the upsides, albeit they would have costs implications. If it is a "free" trip, I'd almost say why not? It's not a black and white decision, put it like that.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2017 at 4:39pm
I agree with the lads.  This game is a farce.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2017 at 4:49pm
@SD 

you can't just say the downsides are hypothetical!

Playing friendlies adversely affects our ranking.

We're in a scrap for 4th place in the playoff seedings. 

The FAI don't know that. Nor does MON, I know he is pretty clueless about rankings, based on stuff he has said in the past. He said a couple of years ago he didnt realise friendlies counted towards rankings. I don't blame him though. His employers should be taking care of that and advising him. MON has his own job to do, a job he is doing very well.

But he was never going to turn this trip down because he isn't even aware of the implications.

Journalists never pick up on this stuff. The FAI aren't even aware of the situation. Only for the fact that a couple of clued-in posters on here pay attention to this kind of thing, there'd be nothing said about it.

Edited by rolo - 25 Feb 2017 at 4:50pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2017 at 5:11pm
It's hypothetical in the sense that we might not make the playoffs (one way or the other) and playing this game alone might not be the difference between being fourth and fifth in the seedings if we do make the playoffs.

I thought I was clear enough on that. The bit in brackets in my first post explained exactly what I meant when I said it was hypothetical.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2017 at 5:57pm

@SD 

The FAI don't know that. Nor does MON, I know he is pretty clueless about rankings, based on stuff he has said in the past. He said a couple of years ago he didnt realise friendlies counted towards rankings. I don't blame him though. His employers should be taking care of that and advising him. MON has his own job to do, a job he is doing very well.

But he was never going to turn this trip down because he isn't even aware of the implications.

Journalists never pick up on this stuff. The FAI aren't even aware of the situation. Only for the fact that a couple of clued-in posters on here pay attention to this kind of thing, there'd be nothing said about it.

If this is the case he's incompetent and shouldn't be in the job.

Personally I think most managers only concern themselves with the current time, and Mon's only concern is qualifying for Russia. He won't be thinking of seedings for play offs, he will be looking at winning the group. 

Peter Stöger View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

I am Wah.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Stöger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2017 at 7:56pm

@SD 

I think this is way OTT and very unfair towards O'Neill. Look, we do the business and it will be up to the Serbs or Wales to worry about their playoff rankings. Que sera sera. Even if we balls up, and lose this meaningless game in the States, so be it we take it on the chin and move on from there. Next you'll be saying we need to wrap the squad in cotton wool between now and October lest someone gets injured. Sure injuries and suspensions are a fact of the game. It won't make much difference at the end of the day. If it keeps us on our toes mentally before Austria it's a good thing. 
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2017 at 8:43pm
Other than the report in the star, is there any confirmation of the game?
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2017 at 9:18pm
Indo have a report as well. Saw it on the face-bok earlier.
Missy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Missy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2017 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

Originally posted by Missy Missy wrote:

Long time between end of English season and Austria this extra games means most of the squad fot Austria should get at least 60 mins under their belts. A few days training in the US away from the hype building up for Austria could be a good thing
is there anything that the clowns in abbotstown do that you dont approve of? You think risking injury, travelling across the Atlantic for q friendly is a positive?? Its potentially harmful to our ranking while we are at it

Players need game time to keep match fit. I would think this this is a change for MON to look at fringe players in a training camp and with them getting getting game time.
We blooded a lot of players in the US Cup years ago so this has its benefits. We have a lot of young players who will benefit from this trip.

Whenever we have a decent seeding we get a tough group.
This time sh*t seeding and we get a winnable group.

People on this forum were looking for an away friendly and now have one. No pleasing some people
Missy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Missy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2017 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by Pipkin Pipkin wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Apart from the world rankings I can't see too many negatives at all. A good trip for a bit of team bonding and to  alleviate the boredom before Austria, another chance for some fringe players to get a run out  and stake a claim, a chance for some US based fans to see us play and the FAI will make a few quid to pay for JD's bar bill at the Four Seasons.

Agreed that world ranking is only con. The FAI will have some amount of egg on their face if this is difference between seeded in a playoff in October/world cup group stage and not.

What play off we gonna top the group.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
  Share Topic