You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Messi, THE Greatest.........

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 15>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2014 at 8:26pm
Messis goal toight makes him the all time record CL goalscorer.
Clap
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Sponsored Links

Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2014 at 9:42pm
LM's fifth CL hat trick tonight.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2014 at 11:17pm
http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/9587921/messi-struck-by-bottle

Edited by Shedite - 30 Nov 2014 at 11:17pm
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2014 at 5:15pm
Magical Messi has got another two goals for Barca tonight.
Clap
Curiousdub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curiousdub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2014 at 6:06pm
His 3rd hatrick in 4 games.
Siralex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Poor Man's Duncan Castles

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siralex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2014 at 11:41am
Ronaldo nails a hat-trick, Messi follows suit 24-hours later.

f**king hell! These two are off the charts. I'm not sure a lot of people appreciate that in modern football it is so much more difficult to be this consistent in comparison to times gone by....It was easier for Maradona, Pele etc to be oustanding as the opposition weren't as much a match for players with much more natural ability But with the modern game and with players who don't have great natural ability still being world class due to fitness, tactical understanding, discipline etc, it is hard for stand out players to be consistent. Also, cameras catch EVERY game which is why it is hard to come across as ALWAYS great...see Rooney as a great example. Not always consistent, but has a superb highlights reel - probably better than most who have ever played the game. Pele and Maradonaa....well we only really saw their highlights reels, didn't we? It's easier to be consistent if we are just seeing highlights reels.

Which makes it just jaw-dropping that Ronaldo and Messi produce consistenly in the modern game. The two best to ever play the sport as far as I'm concerned. And aren't we lucky that we can witness them both playing at their peak. Amazing!

Edited by Siralex - 08 Dec 2014 at 11:42am
If I keep writing enough hagiographic articles on Man Utd, they might give me a job
Zico View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2014 at 12:24pm
Agreed.

Messi and Ronaldo are head and shoulders above everyone else.

reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2014 at 12:34pm
And to think some people on here were arguing that Neymar was going to be as good as Messi and take over from him at Barcelona. NO chance!
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
Zico View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2014 at 12:42pm
PhillyK Embarrassed
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2014 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

And to think some people on here were arguing that Neymar was going to be as good as Messi and take over from him at Barcelona. NO chance!
He's a spoofer Bill.
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
eire77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eire77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2014 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by Siralex Siralex wrote:

f**king hell! These two are off the charts. I'm not sure a lot of people appreciate that in modern football it is so much more difficult to be this consistent in comparison to times gone by....It was easier for Maradona, Pele etc to be oustanding as the opposition weren't as much a match for players with much more natural ability But with the modern game and with players who don't have great natural ability still being world class due to fitness, tactical understanding, discipline etc, it is hard for stand out players to be consistent. Also, cameras catch EVERY game which is why it is hard to come across as ALWAYS great...see Rooney as a great example. Not always consistent, but has a superb highlights reel - probably better than most who have ever played the game. Pele and Maradonaa....well we only really saw their highlights reels, didn't we? It's easier to be consistent if we are just seeing highlights reels.

Which makes it just jaw-dropping that Ronaldo and Messi produce consistenly in the modern game. The two best to ever play the sport as far as I'm concerned. And aren't we lucky that we can witness them both playing at their peak. Amazing!

Not sure I agree with the rationale. Impossible to compare players of different generations. So many variables. There is a valid arguement that the game is actually in decline. European players are imo anyway.
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me...
Siralex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siralex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2014 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by eire77 eire77 wrote:

Not sure I agree with the rationale. Impossible to compare players of different generations. So many variables. There is a valid arguement that the game is actually in decline. European players are imo anyway.

Ah now hold on....Fair enough players past and present can't be compared, simply because the players of today are athletes and have discipline, unlike those in the past Clearly today's players are streets ahead of those of yesteryear, so that's why they can't be compared. What would Maradona be like with today's science in the game helping him, if he was as fit as, say, Ronaldo etc etc....so yes I agree with you; it's impossible to compare.

But where on earth are you getting that the game is in decline. I've never once heard that argument. Where is the valid argument for that; I'd love to hear it. I've never even heard it debated.

If I keep writing enough hagiographic articles on Man Utd, they might give me a job
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2014 at 1:30pm

Totally impossible to compare players from different generations....
Back in the day you could hack at a players legs without the fear of a yellow card, never mind a red card.

Messi and Ronaldo are so far ahead of the rest we should just enjoy watching them.

Landon Donovan View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2014 at 1:32pm

Also, cameras catch EVERY game which is why it is hard to come across as ALWAYS great...see Rooney as a great example. Not always consistent, but has a superb highlights reel - probably better than most who have ever played the game. Pele and Maradonaa....well we only really saw their highlights reels, didn't we? It's easier to be consistent if we are just seeing highlights reels.

100% Agree. People are always banging on about certain players are Youtube players. When in reality all the players of yesteryear were the exact same thing.

Another one is that certain players are "overhyped". Back in the day, the only way of judging certain players consistently was from football journos writing in newspapers. Whole careers were based on the "hype" of a journalist that goes to the odd game.
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2014 at 2:08pm
Ballix.

Players like Maradona, Pele, Garrincha, Cruijff etc were kicked up and down the pitch every week.

You had to kill someone to get sent off back then.

I would like to see how Messi would cope with being marked by someone like Gentile back in the day.

You cant compare eras full stop.
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2014 at 2:45pm
What Diego did at Napoli will never be repeated .
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
eire77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eire77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2014 at 3:10pm

Ah now hold on....Fair enough players past and present can't be compared, simply because the players of today are athletes and have discipline, unlike those in the past Clearly today's players are streets ahead of those of yesteryear, so that's why they can't be compared. What would Maradona be like with today's science in the game helping him, if he was as fit as, say, Ronaldo etc etc....so yes I agree with you; it's impossible to compare.

But where on earth are you getting that the game is in decline. I've never once heard that argument. Where is the valid argument for that; I'd love to hear it. I've never even heard it debated.

The arguement in a nutshell is that the game (in Europe at least) is in decline due to youth / young adults not playing the game as much as previous generations. All football is now organised. Gone are the days of 30 kids on a street with a ball. When was the last time a 9/10 year old called to a 12 year olds door and asked was he coming out then upon negative response asked if his ball would come out?!

With less players playing less often the time required to master the sport (any sport) generally accepted as 10,000 hours is not being reached until people reach middle age!

Despite what sky sports tell you the game is now as much about physical strength and prowess (note your comments about athletes) as it is about skill. Team organisation and shape are the words used nowadays as much as individual technical brilliance.

Oh and go to any youth training pitch (remembering that this is where 90% of football is played) and see them play two touch football - as this stops players running with the ball. I'm can't be sure but I doubt Messi or Maradona played too many games of two touch.

Yes Messi and Ronaldo are great players. But so were the others mentioned in this thread. While Messi and Ronaldo have to deal with athletes and teams setup to nullify creativity so too did Pele, Best and Cryuff have to deal with bumpy pitches, a heavier ball and some of the most cynical players (read, butchers) to grace the game.

All said, there are many, many great players but to insinuate the game is at its peak I would disagree whole heartily. The game, imho, despite the millions which goes directly to the top of the pyramid, is on a downward slope with Individual sports and games consoles the direct beneficiaries.
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me...
Siralex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siralex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2014 at 3:26pm

The arguement in a nutshell is that the game (in Europe at least) is in decline due to youth / young adults not playing the game as much as previous generations. All football is now organised. Gone are the days of 30 kids on a street with a ball. When was the last time a 9/10 year old called to a 12 year olds door and asked was he coming out then upon negative response asked if his ball would come out?!

With less players playing less often the time required to master the sport (any sport) generally accepted as 10,000 hours is not being reached until people reach middle age!

Despite what sky sports tell you the game is now as much about physical strength and prowess (note your comments about athletes) as it is about skill. Team organisation and shape are the words used nowadays as much as individual technical brilliance.

Oh and go to any youth training pitch (remembering that this is where 90% of football is played) and see them play two touch football - as this stops players running with the ball. I'm can't be sure but I doubt Messi or Maradona played too many games of two touch.

Yes Messi and Ronaldo are great players. But so were the others mentioned in this thread. While Messi and Ronaldo have to deal with athletes and teams setup to nullify creativity so too did Pele, Best and Cryuff have to deal with bumpy pitches, a heavier ball and some of the most cynical players (read, butchers) to grace the game.

All said, there are many, many great players but to insinuate the game is at its peak I would disagree whole heartily. The game, imho, despite the millions which goes directly to the top of the pyramid, is on a downward slope with Individual sports and games consoles the direct beneficiaries.

So...you're saying that in the future the game will decline?

It's certainly not in decline now. More people watching the game on TV than ever...and it's growing rapidly in that regard.

As for youngsters playing ball on the street; I agree that doesn't happen anymore. But there are more individuals playing junior football across Europe now than ever before, surely?

Certainly in Ireland anyway. There are more junior football clubs and more players now than there ever has been. And that's saying something because even 10-years ago Ireland had the most registered junior football clubs per capita than other countries. I'm not sure what the latest figure or stat is in that regard, but I do know that the amount of clubs has grown in the past number of years. In fact, the number of teams per club has grown.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 15>
  Share Topic