You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Messi, THE Greatest.........

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 12131415>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2022 at 7:44pm
enough of this GOAT sh*te.
Diego was and will always be the best.
Messi with added menace , enough said.
No Pasaran!
Sponsored Links

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2022 at 7:45pm
Still hasn't done it on a cold wet Wednesday at Stoke
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2022 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by oldbilly oldbilly wrote:

Messi is so far clear of him I'm afraid. He's been at the top of the game for nearly 15 years. Maradona's peak was roughly half of that. Messi got something like 113 goal contributions in a calendar year. 

It's not even a debate, Messi is the best of all time and it's not even close. 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2022 at 8:23pm
Messi’s influence in the game waned and then peaked again. I suspect if he wasn’t there France would have won in ET.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2022 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

Originally posted by oldbilly oldbilly wrote:

Messi is so far clear of him I'm afraid. He's been at the top of the game for nearly 15 years. Maradona's peak was roughly half of that. Messi got something like 113 goal contributions in a calendar year. 

It's not even a debate, Messi is the best of all time and it's not even close. 

The greatest player of all time is undoubtedly Maradona. I dont care what any stat says or how long someone has played. Maradona could do things others even Messi cpuld only dream about. The End.

Edited by doherty - 18 Dec 2022 at 8:29pm
I love beer gardens
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2022 at 8:33pm
We’ll never see Messi’s likes again 
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2022 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Didn't Ronaldo's Portugal draw every game on the way to winning the Euro's?

Your point is ridiculous, Messi had a great World Cup but terrible finishing from Higuain cost Messi and a very average Arentine side winning the WC. (I do agree that James Rodriguez should have got player of the tournament mind)
My point is simple.

Considering their size and resources etc, it is quite an achievement for a country like Portugal to even get into the European top ten. But not only have they achieved that consistently for nearly two decades now, but they've even "turned the dial up to 11" by becoming European champions.

And the real credit for this latter achievement has to be predominantly down to Ronaldo.

By contrast, even without Messi, Argentina have far greater resources, and a history which is much more impressive, inc twice world champions.

Yet with Messi, not only have they failed to become world champions a third time, but they've not even won the Copa, a competition which is MUCH easier to win than the Euros.

Meanwhile, Portugal are currently 5th on the FIFA Rankings, with Argentina behind them in 10th. Indeed Argentina aren't even in the top three (of 12) in South America.

Messi has now won the Copa and the World Cup! Back in your box Terri.
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2022 at 9:07pm

I hate all this GOAT debate. 

They are all super. We are privileged to witness it.

A superb  World Cup. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2022 at 9:11pm
There’s so much recency bias these days in people’s statements I think 

And too much talk about goats
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2022 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

There’s so much recency bias these days in people’s statements I think 

And too much talk about goats
There's no recency bias. Today's footballers play at an ever improving standard in this era of sports science and superhuman athletes. I dont even want to think about Messi playing in Maradona's era, he'd have got an awful kicking but probably would have scored 70 every single season.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2022 at 9:21pm
Wasn’t necessarily talking about this debate 
Messi is the best I’ve seen, I never saw the best of Maradona so can’t compare. 

More with people saying such and such is the best game they’ve watched or best World Cup of all time etc 
Just because it’s freshest in the memory 
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2022 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Messi has now won the Copa and the World Cup! Back in your box Terri.

I’m a big fan of digging up old posts for this purpose LOL thats the sort of pettiness I enjoy 
El Puto Amo
GoneToShowgies View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoneToShowgies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2022 at 9:31pm
They say you get what you deserve and in my opinion Messi got that today. 
I remember Maradona playing but too young to really remember how he was. Never has a player made me say 'WOW' more than Messi, and that happens multiple times in every game. For me he is the greatest. 
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2022 at 9:36pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

We’ll never see Messi’s likes again 
I'm just glad I got the chance to see him live at the Nou Camp for Barcelona (v Sevilla) a few years ago. He was brilliant that night with his runs forward with the ball terrifying Sevilla, and scoring a free kick to round off a 4-0 win. Clap
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2022 at 10:01pm
It wasn’t a superb World Cup. It was an average World Cup with some terrible games and some great games, like todays. 
It was probably one of the best finals we’ll ever see though. 

MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2022 at 10:04pm
El Puto Amo
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2022 at 10:09pm
This Argentina team is the poorest team to win a world cup in my lifetime...
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2022 at 11:41pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

This Argentina team is the poorest team to win a world cup in my lifetime...

Yeah possibly true....the standard of international football is poor now,coupled with players not really giving a f**k about it.really thought the Argentina back line was poor across the whole tournament but they just had to hold it together in 2 games and they go home as champions.
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 12131415>
  Share Topic