Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
41 [78.85%]
11 [21.15%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by B6 6HE B6 6HE wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

How has Ronaldo done it at international level and Messi has not?

Won a Euros and a NL with a more limited Portugal side.

Messinonly just recently won his first COPA.

Fair to say, CR7 has been much better internationally
It’s not fair to say at all. There’s no San Marino in South America.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Sponsored Links

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by B6 6HE B6 6HE wrote:

How has Ronaldo done it at international level and Messi has not?

Won a Euros and a NL with a more limited Portugal side.

Messinonly just recently won his first COPA.

Fair to say, CR7 has been much better internationally

You could say that Messi won the Copa America and Ronaldo only won the Euro's?

I'd also argue that Portugal are better than Argentina too. 

Messi in the Copa's is the only player ever to have won it, got top goal scorer and top assists. He, as expected got player of the tournament too.

Messi was player of the tournament in 2014 WC something Ronaldo failed to win.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Wouldn’t agree that Portugal are more limited than Argentina 
The team that won the NL, if you are serious at counting that as a major trophy, was far better than the Argie team at the same time

Portugal pretty much won the euros without Ronaldo too so they couldn’t have been that limited  

He was Portugal’s star player right up to the Euro 16 final, they wouldn’t have got out of the group without him! ridiculous comment.
SteoC View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteoC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 1:24pm
Ronaldo has undoubtedly performed better for Portugal compared to Messi for Argentina. That is not an argument. Ask the average Argentine and they'll tell you that.
Ronaldo also has a much, much better goalscoring record than Messi internationally.
Ronaldo has also scored more goals in the Champions League than Messi.
Ronaldo has also scored more league goals than Messi.
Ronaldo is the world record holder for goals scored - ever.
Ronaldo has been top scorer in three different countries.
Give Ronaldo Messi's career, as a striker at Barcelona for fifteen seasons and Ronaldo could replicate what Messi did in terms of numbers,.
Give Messi Ronaldo's career, at Sporting Lisbon, at Man United in the Premier League, at Real Madrid, then at Juve, then back at Man United in the toughest league in the world and it is not only unlikely, but pretty much definite, that Messi would not replicate what Ronaldo achieved. 
Messi is great, Beyond great. But Ronaldo is the greatest of all time. 
And I'm a Liverpool fan.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

The team that won the NL, if you are serious at counting that as a major trophy, was far better than the Argie team at the same time

Portugal pretty much won the euros without Ronaldo too so they couldn’t have been that limited  

He was Portugal’s star player right up to the Euro 16 final, they wouldn’t have got out of the group without him! ridiculous comment.

Portugal won the final without him but wouldn't have got through the qualifying group with out him? - that makes little sense.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 1:26pm
They beat a heavily fancied France side in a final on home soil without him, the very average team did!

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 1:28pm

Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Portugal won the final without him but wouldn't have got through the qualifying group with out him? - that makes little sense.

What the f**k are you on about?

His goals in the group stages got them through the group I thought that was pretty obvious what I was saying?

Messi was poor in the Copa America final but who gives a f**k, they were both the main reason why their respected sides won the tournament.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 1:38pm
My point is if Portugal were so limited as people make out, they would have been smashed by France in a final especially missing their star man for over 90 minutes. 
Its exaggerated how bad Portugal are and how great Argentina are for the purposes of the Ronaldo/Messi debate. 

Ronaldo scored in two games in Euro 2016, Messi was the star man of the Copa America this year. 

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 1:47pm

My point is if Portugal were so limited as people make out, they would have been smashed by France in a final especially missing their star man for over 90 minutes. 
Its exaggerated how bad Portugal are and how great Argentina are for the purposes of the Ronaldo/Messi debate. 

Ronaldo scored in two games in Euro 2016, Messi was the star man of the Copa America this year. 

That France side was much better than Portugal! Portugal done enough on the day to win! Portugal were 16/1 to win that tournament, I know well as I backed them. What price were Argentina to win Copa America?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 2:01pm
I wonder what price Portugal were to win once Ronaldo went off injured?
You know the way the rest of them are pub league players the way some talk. 100/1 maybe to win on French soil without the "greatest of all time" 

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 2:05pm

I wonder what price Portugal were to win once Ronaldo went off injured?
You know the way the rest of them are pub league players the way some talk. 100/1 maybe to win on French soil without the "greatest of all time" 

LOL You are sad.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 2:23pm
Comparing international football, Ronaldo by a country mile.

Goalscoring record obviously blows it out of the water, even if you took away goals against fodder, he's a mile clear. More goals scored at World Cups too.

Comparing their international competition wins...
Portugal were 7th favourites in 2016 - behind France, Germany, Italy, Belgium, England and Spain
Argentina were 2nd favourites, and that was only Because Brazil were hosts. They started the final as favourites. 
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 2:52pm
Only recently have Portugal got a really good team. 

Think of all the brilliant Argentina players that messi had in the squads of the past 15 years, and compare them to Portugal's.
It would damage this forums' reputation
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Goalscoring record obviously blows it out of the water, even if you took away goals against fodder, he's a mile clear. More goals scored at World Cups too.

Portugal were 7th favourites in 2016 - behind France, Germany, Italy, Belgium, England and Spain
Argentina were 2nd favourites, and that was only Because Brazil were hosts. They started the final as favourites. 
The quality of opponents has to be put into any equation when making a goal scoring comparison. Based upon that I think Puskas and Muller have superior international goalscoring exploits than CR7 despite scoring less goals. When Muller and Puskas played the USSR and Yugoslavia were two strong nations rather than the 22/23 nations nowadays. Easier to score against Estonia and Moldova than the USSR.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

The quality of opponents has to be put into any equation when making a goal scoring comparison. Based upon that I think Puskas and Muller have superior international goalscoring exploits than CR7 despite scoring less goals. When Muller and Puskas played the USSR and Yugoslavia were two strong nations rather than the 22/23 nations nowadays. Easier to score against Estonia and Moldova than the USSR.

Good point

The disbanding of the iron curtain created alot of weak sides in Europe

Yougoslavia could have been awesome had they stayed intact in 90s
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 10:07pm

Impossible to compare across eras, as you say, international football changed a lot in that time, both in style of play and number of teams. Back in Puskas' time, the group stage was a joke, in 54 WC, they scored 8 and 9 in their two group games. Imagine the damage Ronaldo would have done in those games
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 11:40pm

Impossible to compare across eras, as you say, international football changed a lot in that time, both in style of play and number of teams. Back in Puskas' time, the group stage was a joke, in 54 WC, they scored 8 and 9 in their two group games. Imagine the damage Ronaldo would have done in those games
True I suppose, there were minnows in Puskas's era. His Hungary team scored 13 times in 2 games against...........England.Wink
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic