You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Medical Expense/Tax back question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Medical Expense/Tax back question
    Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 11:49am

I have a question for step-father in law.

He got redudancy about 4 years ago and retired. He also sold his house and then had to pay tax on these items in those given years, let's say he paid tax on the redudancy in 2016 and sold the house in 2017.
He is not yet a pensioner.

He has a lot of medical expenses and receipts over the last number of years, even including 2016 and 2017 for example when he paid tax bills and he is wondering if he can claim any tax back on the medical expenses.  

I am thinking he might be able to do it for 2016 and 2017 where he had paid tax but not sure about 2018 and 2019. Or whether he can bundle everything together into one request. But in general, I have no clue how to guide him further.

Anyone have any idea? I am sure he could go to one of these tax back companies but they just perform the steps that you are able to do yourself if you know what to do
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 11:57am
Should be able to do it online for the years 2015-2018.

I think you request a P21 balancing statement for each year, in there you have the option to claim tax back on medical expenses.

Any time you visit a doctor you can claim the tax back on that.

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 11:57am
I think you can go back and claim the last 4 years with the med 1 form.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 12:45pm
You can also do it online. You need to set him up on  my account on Revenue.ie.
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 12:50pm
If he paid tax in a year,he's entitled to claim medical expenses back. If he hasn't paid any tax in the past year or 2, he can't claim anything back in those years.

Set up an online account, used to paye anytime not sure of it's exact name now, that is the easiest way to do it. As said, he can then claim whatever in the previous four years i.e 2015-2018 - make a move on that though because of you let that drag on for 6 months or so, the chance to claim back on 2015 goes at the start of 2020 if you get me!

Also, if he had health insurance at the time of these medical expenses and he has already claimed some money back on these, e.g. GP receipts 50 percent back in a lot of insurance setups, he may not be able to claim tax back on those same receipts. That's something to check out with a professional if that is the situation. The tax office, phone call or pop in, are usually very good to deal with tbf.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
You'll always be Gazsh to me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 1:04pm
Agree with the advice on the medical receipts and doing a P21 balancing statement

Question on the house sale - was it his own house that he sold? If it was his principal private residence (PPR) then he shouldn't have paid any tax on the sale
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

I have a question for step-father in law.

He got redudancy about 4 years ago and retired. He also sold his house and then had to pay tax on these items in those given years, let's say he paid tax on the redudancy in 2016 and sold the house in 2017.
He is not yet a pensioner.

He has a lot of medical expenses and receipts over the last number of years, even including 2016 and 2017 for example when he paid tax bills and he is wondering if he can claim any tax back on the medical expenses.  

I am thinking he might be able to do it for 2016 and 2017 where he had paid tax but not sure about 2018 and 2019. Or whether he can bundle everything together into one request. But in general, I have no clue how to guide him further.

Anyone have any idea? I am sure he could go to one of these tax back companies but they just perform the steps that you are able to do yourself if you know what to do

set up an account on Revenue on line services.Claim for the last 4 years and revenue will decide the amount of tax back is due if any.Since he is retired he may not be due anything as he might not have been PAYE for any of those years,not sure the process if he isnt PAYE.

Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Also, if he had health insurance at the time of these medical expenses and he has already claimed some money back on these, e.g. GP receipts 50 percent back in a lot of insurance setups, he may not be able to claim tax back on those same receipts. That's something to check out with a professional if that is the situation. The tax office, phone call or pop in, are usually very good to deal with tbf.

Say if you pay €50 to see a GP and get €25 back from the VHI. You can claim tax back on the €25 that you're out of pocket. The tax you get back is the €25 @ 20% = €5 Geek
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by Gaz Gaz wrote:

Say if you pay €50 to see a GP and get €25 back from the VHI. You can claim tax back on the €25 that you're out of pocket. The tax you get back is the €25 @ 20% = €5 Geek

Is that definite, I've been meaning for ages to get that clarified. Not that it's worth much money back to me or anything.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 1:58pm
Thanks for all info. 
He might not have paid tax on the sale at the time. I remember there was some bill he had to give to revenue but might have been to do that he had money from the sale the house but he had still claimed the dole.

SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 2:03pm

Would you not get it back at the marginal rate, so if your marginal rate is 40%, you get €10?
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 2:15pm
Am I wrong or did they not change the marginal rate thing for expenses? You used to be able to claim back 40 percent if that's what you were paying , but they've capped it at 20 percent no matter what now I think?
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 3:31pm
Oh sorry, I just had a look on revenue.ie and it seems you are right.

Full time nursing home costs are fully tax deductible though, albeit I imagine that it is rare enough that someone is both a higher rate tax payer and in full time nursing home care.
LO SCIENZIATO View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Fucknut Of The Year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LO SCIENZIATO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Oh sorry, I just had a look on revenue.ie and it seems you are right.

Full time nursing home costs are fully tax deductible though, albeit I imagine that it is rare enough that someone is both a higher rate tax payer and in full time nursing home care.

cough cough.... Byrner
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 6:30pm
LOL
He is called ‘Guppy’ these days.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

LOL
He is called ‘Guppy’ these days.

Something smells fishy here alright 
Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2019 at 10:07pm

Is that definite, I've been meaning for ages to get that clarified. Not that it's worth much money back to me or anything.

Yep 
Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2019 at 10:08pm

Am I wrong or did they not change the marginal rate thing for expenses? You used to be able to claim back 40 percent if that's what you were paying , but they've capped it at 20 percent no matter what now I think?

Correct
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic