You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

McAreavey trial - NOT GUILTY

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
AKA Sir Basil Butterpeas Esquire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clonbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 3:55pm
The whole trial has been a disaster for the family, seeing the gutter press print all that nonsense about their sex life was bad enough if it brought them justice. They will never have it now
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

Originally posted by Kerrzy Kerrzy wrote:

BTW there's a programme on RTE tonight about the trial for anyone interested..

what time ?

10.15 RTE1
MJD View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 4:05pm
Hold on, what? The last I read the lads had admitted killing her but said it was an accident. Has this changed then?!?! Did it turn out to be a false confession?
17 International Caps
16 International Goals
COYFIG
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 4:05pm

Both verdicts were unanimous. Jurors took two hours to deliberate.

Members of the McAreavey family walked straight out of court when the foreman of the jury made the verdicts known.

Both accused broke down in tears in the dock while relatives jumped to their feet cheering wildly.

There were chaotic scenes as the two acquitted men walked out of the court.

Throngs of people cheered "justice, justice" in Creole as policemen hurried the men through the courtyard.

Moments later defence lawyers were carried aloft.

The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by MJD MJD wrote:

Hold on, what? The last I read the lads had admitted killing her but said it was an accident. Has this changed then?!?! Did it turn out to be a false confession?

they retracted the confessions in court, said they were beaten and threatened and the fella who was witness had his statement torn to shreds by the lawyer

MJD View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 4:11pm

Originally posted by MJD MJD wrote:

they retracted the confessions in court, said they were beaten and threatened and the fella who was witness had his statement torn to shreds by the lawyer

Christ I hope that's the correct verdict. What a shambles, can't imagine how her husband and family must be feeling. Hopefully they catch the real perpetrator/s, but doesn't sound likely.
17 International Caps
16 International Goals
COYFIG
soccerc View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soccerc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by Clonbhoy Clonbhoy wrote:

The whole trial has been a disaster for the family, seeing the gutter press print all that nonsense about their sex life was bad enough if it brought them justice. They will never have it now

So you believe that direct evidence and trial statements should be censored, that we should only hear and read of the less salacious aspects?

The defence rightly introduced that in an effort to create reasonable doubt, the fact that it was only an insert from Cosmo is moot, but you're blaming the 'gutter press' but not the broadsheets, TV, Radio or Newswires who also reported the same facts.

The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by soccerc soccerc wrote:

So you believe that direct evidence and trial statements should be censored, that we should only hear and read of the less salacious aspects?

The defence rightly introduced that in an effort to create reasonable doubt, the fact that it was only an insert from Cosmo is moot, but you're blaming the 'gutter press' but not the broadsheets, TV, Radio or Newswires who also reported the same facts.

You beat me to it soccerc
You should also note that if it was the 'gutter press' who tracked down a key witness in this case
The press have been very sensitive and professional throughout this whole case

Clonbhoy View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clonbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 4:19pm

reporting facts is one thing, devoting front pages to unnecessary information is a another
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 4:30pm
Regardless of the verdict this has been a shambles from the start. 

2 hours and unamimous in a country with 100 per cent conviction suggests that for anybody in the court it was obvious as hell that they were innocent or at least no proof that they did it, other than they worked there and they were beaten in to confession. 

Convicting an innocent person does not bring the poor girl back. 
AKA pedantic kunt
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 4:32pm

reporting facts is one thing, devoting front pages to unnecessary information is a another

It was reported in the same manner as every other day of the trial
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Convicting an innocent person does not bring the poor girl back. 

i hope they were innocent and i hope that the family can see that rather than looking for a scapegoat.

probably too late now to start the investiagtion again , maybe bring in an expert to head it up from south africa or the US
Clonbhoy View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clonbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by The GerK The GerK wrote:

As that was the only day I saw in an Irish redtop I am glad I missed every other day
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 4:42pm
AKA pedantic kunt
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 4:49pm

As that was the only day I saw in an Irish redtop I am glad I missed every other day

As soccerc already said, it was reported in every form of media
ericdogg View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericdogg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 4:50pm

From the first day of trial this was always on the cards. The defence team was allowed turn it into a circus and introduced completely irrelevant "evidence" which should never have been allowed happen. The justice system is clearly miles behind the developed world. He would have been censured numerous times for his behaviour but he was allowed sensationalise and obviously sway the jury.

Very sad for the family. Not just the verdict but to tarnish the memory of Michaela as she was portryaed during the trial was disgraceful.
International Caps - 7

International Goals - 1
Clonbhoy View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clonbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 4:51pm

As soccerc already said, it was reported in every form of media
I felt it was dealt with in a much more appropriate manner elsewhere
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 4:52pm

The family left the court to a chorus of cheers as they celebrated. Heartbreaking stuff

thats awful stuff , they should have ahad a bit of respect, but as far as i i could see all them cleaning lads were utter simpletons...

There was very little dignity during this trial, my heart goes out to John and the Harte family.  Cops made a balls of it, I doubt the killer(s) will be brought to justice now.  Awful stuff.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic