You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Matt Doherty

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8586878889 138>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 9:46am
He definitely suits life under Kenny. I always saw loads of criticism of him the times he played under Mick that he wasn't proving his attacking threat over Coleman. But McCarthys full backs play like a traditional full back which isn't where Doc shines.

But as a Wolves fan who saw him at his peak years he isn't fast or particularly skilful, he can't really go past most players that way but can using his physicality and what makes him a good player is his game intelligence to get in the right positions and link up with other players. He needs some level of freedom to get the best of him.
Sponsored Links

amccarten313 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccarten313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 5:53pm
2 good games. hopefully he can kick on under conte and get some game time there. also pretty funny to see a wingback wear the 10 lol
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2021 at 5:23pm
Emerson is an absolute waste of space. Surely cant be long before he gets a solid run of games.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2021 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

Emerson is an absolute waste of space. Surely cant be long before he gets a solid run of games.

You'd be surprised.
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 5:06pm
Starts tonight for Spurs in the Europa Conference League against Mura. It's not exactly a first choice selection by Spurs nor big opposition but it's an opportunity. 
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Subbed on 53mins... 

Needs to get away from there ASAP,. Even if the new manager fancied him and on tonight's evidence that's unlikely, the fans have made their mind up about him rightly or wrongly and it's hard to see him getting a fair crack at this point. The problem for him now is his salary, ditto Hendrick! Both would be good signings for a bottom half PL club, but can/will they pay them anywhere close to what they're on now? Even a loan could be difficult. It's a shame as they are both good PL players and we really need them playing week in, week out!
Idah Dream!
Pauldaly1984 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauldaly1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 9:36pm
Jamie o hara was covering the match on SSN. He mentioned a few players that should never play for the club again . Doherty being one 
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 9:48pm
Spurs fans have unrealistic notions about their standing in the game but, even still, he's probably not at their level and needs to get out now. Obviously showed his talent at Wolves - he needs to find a mid to lower table team that plays with wing backs where he will get a run of games. At that level I think he would do well again but hard to see it working now at Spurs.
Ecumenical Matter View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecumenical Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 11:22pm
Not sure Doherty has had the best run of luck at Spurs, who haven’t really played wing backs consistently.  However when he gets  a chance he has been dire. Can’t find an incisive pass and defends poorly.   Desperate as I am for him to be a success, it’s time for him to go. Could get a lower EPL team.
BohsinMunich View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BohsinMunich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 7:55am
I think he would suit Leeds. Not much defending to do. 
Ecumenical Matter View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecumenical Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 8:29am
I think Spurs will try to offload in January.  He might be unlucky in terms of opportunities and Emerson Royal is no great shakes but whenever he gets a chance he blows it.  He needs to leave.  
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 9:47am
Originally posted by BohsinMunich BohsinMunich wrote:

Not unless they switch to a 3 at the back formation. Doherty's problem is that he is a wing back first and foremost, he can play either side effectively as a wing back, but he is not really a full back. Mourinho bought him on foot of an excellent spell at Wolves, where he played almost exclusively as a wing back and then promptly switched to a system that didnt utilise them, shoved Doherty in at full back which didn't suit him, thus he got off to a bad start and the fans turned against him. No way back at Spurs now that I can see, although Conte does use wing backs and Royal looks terrible in that role. I thought he might have a chance under Conte, but I think the fans have their minds made up. He's absolutely a PL quality wing back when he's on it, but he'll almost certainly have to take a substantial pay cut if he is to get a move in January.
Idah Dream!
greenshoots View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 9:52am
If he's a genuine PL wing back and gets picked by the new manager at Spurs to play wing back and he's very poor and subbed off after 53 mins, he has only himself to blame. I dont think we can use time under a previous Spurs manager as mitigating circumstances. He's been great for us lately but his terrible club form is a worry. I think we are being optimistic to think a decent PL club will come in for him in Jan.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 10:13am
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Originally posted by BohsinMunich BohsinMunich wrote:

Not unless they switch to a 3 at the back formation. Doherty's problem is that he is a wing back first and foremost, he can play either side effectively as a wing back, but he is not really a full back. Mourinho bought him on foot of an excellent spell at Wolves, where he played almost exclusively as a wing back and then promptly switched to a system that didnt utilise them, shoved Doherty in at full back which didn't suit him, thus he got off to a bad start and the fans turned against him. No way back at Spurs now that I can see, although Conte does use wing backs and Royal looks terrible in that role. I thought he might have a chance under Conte, but I think the fans have their minds made up. He's absolutely a PL quality wing back when he's on it, but he'll almost certainly have to take a substantial pay cut if he is to get a move in January.

Only way he leaves Spurs is if they cover his wages imo. Until he signed his new contract at Wolves before they sold him he was on something like 10k a week. Can't see him walking away from a 65k a week contract that still has 2.5yrs left on it come January.

Only team I could see that might look at Doherty is gonna be Newcastle.
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2021 at 6:52pm
Gets a rare start for Spurs in the EFL Cup, on the same days it's reported Spurs said he can leave next month.

Wonder where he'll end up. Obviously somewhere that use Wing Backs. Brighton could be an option if Spurs want Lamptey.

Edited by Greenie50 - 22 Dec 2021 at 6:54pm
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2021 at 9:23pm
Doherty doin a decent job tonight 
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
StuttgartKY View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StuttgartKY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2021 at 9:44pm
Played very well tonight, would love to see him get a chance under Conte could be the making of him
aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2021 at 10:44pm
Taught he played well tonight
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8586878889 138>
  Share Topic