Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Matt Doherty

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8182838485 138>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2021 at 10:46am
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

This lad drives me mad. Thought from the very first minute he didn't look the slightest bit interested, was reluctant to make runs, rarely crossed the ball, it got to a point that Coleman lost frustration with him and ended up coming out of the back 3 to go and do his job for him.

We finally get a good game out of last Wednesday and straight away he reverts back to type. If he's not arsed do everyone a favour and feck off. 

Why the fook didn't Kenny stick with him on the left? Him and Coleman don't work well together on the right. Same with McClean and Horgan on the left. 

Yeah I would have left the back five as finished from Wednesday. 

I did think Coleman had a worse game than Doherty yesterday.  Also parrot or Molumby should have been over there supporting the two of them working combinations and triangles etc but neither did in the first half.  The left side seemed better with Egan and McClean Cullen and Connolly but it still wasn’t great.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Sponsored Links

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2021 at 11:49am
I think the idea was for mcclean to get down the line and crosses in, which he got into position many times he just was not good enough to execute it on match day. 
If we had a right winger who could do the same on the other side then maybe he would have left doherty over there and Mcclean on the bench. So it was done with an attacking mindset.

However, I would have left Doherty there myself. He can bring the ball forward well. Linked well with Connolly who plays on that side. I think Kenny'a trust in McClean ultimately failed 

Edited by t_rAndy - 05 Sep 2021 at 11:49am
notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2021 at 11:04pm
Turning in to a bit of a leader at this point. Ridiculous it took so long to get him and Seamie in the same side. 

Strong endorsement of Kenny and the whole setup in his interview tonight as well
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2021 at 11:08pm
Hes been really good these games. Really good.
I love beer gardens
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2021 at 11:13pm
He was our best player across the 3 games I thought 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2021 at 11:16pm
Yep, good interview.
Kenny a big fan and Mattie repaying him.
Long may it continue.

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2021 at 11:21pm
I think playing him on the left and Coleman on the right against Portugal looked excellent.

That should be first choice. 
greenlad View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2021 at 12:16am
I didn't think he had a good game at all, why did he keep tucking in when we're playing with 3 cb's, looked pedestrian at times, as if he wasn't interested...... 
Maybe it's just me...... Expected more from him tonight.... 
JackiesArmy View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JackiesArmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2021 at 12:18am
He was very good tonight
connord96 View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connord96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2021 at 12:21am
Have to say I thought he was our best player out of this batch of games. Very confident/calm on the ball and rarely loses possession. Never seems to sprint but often glides past players like they’re not there. Quality footballer who needs to get out of spurs at the minute.
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2021 at 12:41am
Himself, Hendrick and Duffy as our senior players were good over the three games. If only we had a more senior striker that was some what useful. 
It would damage this forums' reputation
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2021 at 12:42am
Originally posted by notpropaganda73 notpropaganda73 wrote:

Turning in to a bit of a leader at this point. Ridiculous it took so long to get him and Seamie in the same side. 

Strong endorsement of Kenny and the whole setup in his interview tonight as well

I've heard a lot of ex-pros saying something to the effect of "it takes about 20 caps to settle into international football".

While we have a lot of young lads coming through now that we want to get to that number in the next 2 years... when you look at it, a lot of who we consider senior players are only getting to that 20 cap mark this year:
(as of tonight)
Hourihane - 28 caps
Doherty - 23
O''Dowda - 23
Stevens - 21
Robinson - 20
Arter - 18
Egan - 17
K.Long - 17
Browne - 16
Horgan - 16
J.Collins - 13

notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2021 at 11:02am
Originally posted by greenlad greenlad wrote:

I didn't think he had a good game at all, why did he keep tucking in when we're playing with 3 cb's, looked pedestrian at times, as if he wasn't interested...... 
Maybe it's just me...... Expected more from him tonight.... 

I think his running style gives off this impression. But if you rewatch it, especially when we're finally getting up the pitch towards the end of the game, Doherty is the man taking on the left back and winning corners. His touch bringing down those diagonal balls is excellent as well, he turned his man a couple times towards the end of the game. 

He also put in a great tackle to stop Mitrovic (I think it was) on one of their late counter attacks where they looked like they'd score. He was probably better in Portugal but thought he stepped up when needed last night.

Edited by notpropaganda73 - 08 Sep 2021 at 11:02am
AonSceal19 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 10:58pm
Remember when McCarthy was manager and some people were saying to start Doherty as the right winger in a 4-3-3. Now in fairness some people were saying to play him as a wing back and Coleman as the right sided centre back. I think Doherty is a perfect example of stats being misleading. Yes he scored lots of goals and got lots of assists at wolves but I think he was the definition of a system player. A lot of his goals were headers and from runs into the box. How many of his assists were from crosses ? He did pull the ball back to the striker or make a pass along the ground but I don’t think he was ever whipping the ball in to the box that often. I think he’s been found out defensively as a full back at Spurs. His crossing is average and he gets caught out of position a lot. He’s not a premier league standard player as a full back IMO. However I think he was great for Ireland as a wing back in the previous international break. He’s cemented his starting position IMO. If Nuno hadn’t have been appointed wolves manager I do wonder if he would be in the premier league now. I know this could be seen as going in on Doherty but I’m not intending to be abusive. I’ve used no swear words or ad hominem attacks. Just an opinion based on his Spurs form.
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by AonSceal19 AonSceal19 wrote:

Remember when McCarthy was manager and some people were saying to start Doherty as the right winger in a 4-3-3. Now in fairness some people were saying to play him as a wing back and Coleman as the right sided centre back. I think Doherty is a perfect example of stats being misleading. Yes he scored lots of goals and got lots of assists at wolves but I think he was the definition of a system player. A lot of his goals were headers and from runs into the box. How many of his assists were from crosses ? He did pull the ball back to the striker or make a pass along the ground but I don’t think he was ever whipping the ball in to the box that often. I think he’s been found out defensively as a full back at Spurs. His crossing is average and he gets caught out of position a lot. He’s not a premier league standard player as a full back IMO. However I think he was great for Ireland as a wing back in the previous international break. He’s cemented his starting position IMO. If Nuno hadn’t have been appointed wolves manager I do wonder if he would be in the premier league now. I know this could be seen as going in on Doherty but I’m not intending to be abusive. I’ve used no swear words or ad hominem attacks. Just an opinion based on his Spurs form.

Matt's a very good wing back when he is at it and he played very well over the last 3 despite obvious fitness issues, particularly oop at left wing back vs Portugal. He is not great defensively one on one, but he is very good in the air in both boxes. He is a clever footballer and doesnt just hoof the ball in to the box at the earliest opportunity, so he benefits from having clever players around him. Himself and Connolly bossed the left flank vs Portugal (Cancelo) in the first half. He played almost exclusively as a wing back at Wolves, so if Mourinho bought him as a full back, then that's on him. IMO he's probably the most talented player in the Irish team as evidenced by his wage packet and he is finally starting to deliver some performances in a green shirt which is overdue and welcome.

He is absolutely part of the solution for Ireland, but he should move on from Spurs if he doesnt get a fair crack. It will depend on what formation Nuno finally settles on and how good their new signing from Barca is (I have never seen him play), but he's definitely a better wing back than Tanganga, who looks like an average overly enthusiastic centre back to me.
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 12:48am
Originally posted by Greenie50 Greenie50 wrote:

I've heard a lot of ex-pros saying something to the effect of "it takes about 20 caps to settle into international football".

While we have a lot of young lads coming through now that we want to get to that number in the next 2 years... when you look at it, a lot of who we consider senior players are only getting to that 20 cap mark this year:
(as of tonight)
Hourihane - 28 caps
Doherty - 23
O''Dowda - 23
Stevens - 21
Robinson - 20
Arter - 18
Egan - 17
K.Long - 17
Browne - 16
Horgan - 16
J.Collins - 13

Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 12:52am
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Originally posted by Greenie50 Greenie50 wrote:

(as of tonight)
Hourihane - 28 caps
Doherty - 23
O''Dowda - 23
Stevens - 21
Robinson - 20
Arter - 18
Egan - 17
K.Long - 17
Browne - 16
Horgan - 16
J.Collins - 13

Long, Stevens, Arter and probably Hourihane, Collins and Horgan are all too old to probably contribute to our future in any significant manner. I'll give you O'Dowda, Doherty, Browne, Robinson and Egan (future captain)!
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 10:54am
I didn't see the game, but the Beeb are reporting that Doherty got the assist for Spurs 2nd goal? "before substitute Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg found the bottom corner from Matt Doherty's cross four minutes later to rescue a point for a much-changed Spurs side"

Did anyone catch the game?
Idah Dream!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8182838485 138>
  Share Topic