You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Matt Doherty

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4748495051 138>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 10:33am
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

On the left we have McClean, Connolly, Robinson and Curtis.

But on the right who do we have? Hendrick, Knight and Smallbone have played on the right side of midfield for their clubs this season but are all better suited to playing centrally, really.

As imperfect a situation as it might be, Doherty may well be our best option there.

We really need get our best players out on the field.

I'd happily see Knight and Smallbone tested in that position in the upcoming NL games and see what works best.

Edited by Fozz - 27 Jul 2020 at 10:34am
Sponsored Links

NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 10:37am
The fact Coleman retained the captaincy and remains one of our better players suggests he'll continue to start most games.

Randolph;

Coleman, Duffy, Egan, Stevens;

McCarthy, Hourihane;

Doherty, McGoldrick, Connolly;

Long/Obafemi.

This is probably the strongest and most balanced team available to us.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 10:47am
                 Randolph
Coleman-Duffy-Egan-Stevens
            McCarthy-Molumby
                  Hourihane
Robinson-McGoldrick-Connolly

is what I would go for at the moment in Slovakia.

With Doherty, Long and McClean the most likely subs to give some impact off the bench.

Obviously tough to leave Doherty out but, as he has said himself, shoehorning him in further up the field doesn't work. He's a right back and, at a push, cover at left back. If you're trying to fit him in in some other position it's a mistake.

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 10:48am

The fact Coleman retained the captaincy and remains one of our better players suggests he'll continue to start most games.

Randolph;

McCarthy, Hourihane;

Long/Obafemi.

Has Kenny said Coleman will be his captain?
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 10:55am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Randolph;

McCarthy, Hourihane;

Long/Obafemi.

Has Kenny said Coleman will be his captain?

He confirmed Coleman will stay as captain when he was appointed.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 11:00am
As long as Young Doherty gets into the team.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 11:04am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Randolph
            McCarthy-Molumby
                  Hourihane

With Doherty, Long and McClean the most likely subs to give some impact off the bench.

Obviously tough to leave Doherty out but, as he has said himself, shoehorning him in further up the field doesn't work. He's a right back and, at a push, cover at left back. If you're trying to fit him in in some other position it's a mistake.

Robinson's more effective on the left where he can cut in. It's in this position where he's put in his best performances for PNE and WBA.

And McGoldrick's better utilised as a link player rather than as a lone centre-forward. He's not a back-to-goal, win-balls-in-the-air type of player and nor does he have the pace to offer a threat in behind.

I never understood Mick using him in that role.

Edited by NewtNewbie - 27 Jul 2020 at 11:06am
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 11:11am
Originally posted by Dots1982 Dots1982 wrote:

Do people who have watched Coleman play not realize the main strength of his game is tirelessly attacking the oppositions byline? Playing him in a back three would be a waste of his talents that no manager would consider.

I don’t see doherty as a winger at all.

Fans may have to expect Kenny will call on Doherty when Coleman is unavailable.

The idea of shoehorning players into positions that didn’t suit them was the principle of Sven goran Ericsson’s unsuccessful tenure as England manager.

Not any longer. When did he last relentlessly attack a byline for us?

He was MOTM for Everton v Liverpool recently because of how he defended, he barely went forward. He did brilliantly against Mane that night
Dots1982 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dots1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 11:26am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Originally posted by Dots1982 Dots1982 wrote:

Do people who have watched Coleman play not realize the main strength of his game is tirelessly attacking the oppositions byline? Playing him in a back three would be a waste of his talents that no manager would consider.

I don’t see doherty as a winger at all.

Fans may have to expect Kenny will call on Doherty when Coleman is unavailable.

The idea of shoehorning players into positions that didn’t suit them was the principle of Sven goran Ericsson’s unsuccessful tenure as England manager.

Not any longer. When did he last relentlessly attack a byline for us?

He was MOTM for Everton v Liverpool recently because of how he defended, he barely went forward. He did brilliantly against Mane that night

Georgia at home last year I felt he played well. Ropey games and suspended since.

He was beating players to get into the box for evertons goal yesterday. 
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 11:34am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

As long as Young Doherty gets into the team.

He is still so young and has plenty of time on his hands. Only 29 next year. He is the future. 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 11:45am
Same age as young McCarthy.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
GaretFarellysNutSack View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaretFarellysNutSack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 11:47am
Am I allowed to dream that McClean wont be an automatic starter yet?
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 11:57am

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Randolph
            McCarthy-Molumby
                  Hourihane

Robinson's more effective on the left where he can cut in. It's in this position where he's put in his best performances for PNE and WBA.

And McGoldrick's better utilised as a link player rather than as a lone centre-forward. He's not a back-to-goal, win-balls-in-the-air type of player and nor does he have the pace to offer a threat in behind.

I never understood Mick using him in that role.

McGoldrick doesn't have to play as a lone striker in that formation though, he can be more of a link man for the other two forwards. He'll never be an out and out goalscorer himself but he's still well worth his place in the team. 
SeatSniffer View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeatSniffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 12:07pm
        Randolph
Coleman Egan Duffy Stevens
    McCarthy Molumby
Doherty          Connolly
         McGoldrick
          Obafemi

O'Hara, O'Shea, McClean, Hourihane, Robinson, Long

Doherty has to start against Slovakia. Robinson and Long on for pace if we're chasing the game.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 12:28pm
If we keep possession far better than we have been and have players with pace in close proximity to McGoldrick it could potentially work, but would represent a complete sea-change in how we usually approach the game.

I still have nightmares of a completely isolated McGoldrick having balls lumped up to him from deep positions, a task to which he applied himself manfully to be fair. But I do think it would be more beneficial having McGoldrick allowed to drop deeper and able to get on the ball with Long, or whoever, as the main striker.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

If we keep possession far better than we have been and have players with pace in close proximity to McGoldrick it could potentially work, but would represent a complete sea-change in how we usually approach the game.

I still have nightmares of a completely isolated McGoldrick having balls lumped up to him from deep positions, a task to which he applied himself manfully to be fair. But I do think it would be more beneficial having McGoldrick allowed to drop deeper and able to get on the ball with Long, or whoever, as the main striker.
You're right - McGoldrick has been brilliant in that role for Sheff Utd. Doherty has also been excellent in his wing-back role for Wolves. Stevens too. We have a good selection of centre backs. I'm confident Kenny will give 3-5-2 a successful test drive. 

Kenny has already said he won't be playing 3 at the back initially 
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 12:57pm
We are playing 4-3-3 or 4-3-2-1. That is a certainty. Kenny has said so repeatedly and he wants to align the senior team with the system that the underage teams are playing
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 1:10pm
                                                   Long

Connolly                                McGoldrick     

McCarthy                   Hendrick           Doherty

Stevens                   Egan                          Duffy              Coleman

Randolph

I think this is how we will line out or close to it in Slovakia. I reckon it will look like an unbalanced 4-3-3 at times but he can Keep the rotating 3 in the middle with McCarthy sitting slightly deeper of the triangle. Coleman and Doherty will likely rotate alot but be very defensively sound aswell with either being able to sit in and cover. I think the front 5 will be used to press the ball high. Molumby and Arter are also good options and McClean can come in for Connolly when we need to be more defensively sound on the left and Robinson on the other side when we need to change up there.. I think it will become more diverse as time goes on and based on who we play obviously. A 3 at the back is def not going to happen in the first few months. I could see us maye doing it at the Euros if we got there though.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4748495051 138>
  Share Topic