FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Matt Doherty

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 69>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Territorial View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2020 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

My worry for Doherty is especially against the other “top 6” and even against Leicester Everton Southampton pushing on is that Mourinho will see it as too much of a risk to start both himself and Reguilon. 

2 glorified wingbacks playing in a back 4 and unfortunately Reguilon is a stand out player really good so Doherty is the one the suffers. Il be honest I was sure he was planning on using a back 5 or even a 3-4-3 more likely when both Reguilon and Doherty signed as they really would have been tailor made for it the 2 of them. 

Will Doherty start the next day for Spurs who knows but if he doesn’t after Auriers mistake then that sends off alarm bells for me.

Aurier has been one of Spurs top performers this season and has made little to no mistakes, bar yesterday.

It would be extremely harsh on him to be dropped for one mistake.

I've been watching Aurier closely ever since he joined Spurs (I must have done something very bad in a previous life!) and trust me, he has never been one of our "top performers".

After 3 seasons when he was an absolute bomb scare, I was sure that when Doherty arrived, that would be the end of SA at Spurs; indeed they were punting him in France during the summer, but no-one had the money to sign him/pay his wages.

Now as it happens, Doherty hasn't (yet) performed as we had all hoped, and this season Aurier has been better than anything we've seen from him previously (not exactly hard, tbf). But if Mourinho has managed to instill a degree of discipline in Aurier's play this season, I really can't see it ever being permanent - as yesterday's fit of the head staggers proved. So whether he's back in the team for forthcoming games, or even the rest of the season, I'm sure JM has him on his list of departures, just as soon as it can be managed and a replacement in place.

As for Doherty, there is no way on earth that JM would agree to a signing just to accommodate his/their Agent and even if he did, no way Levy would permit it.

I have no doubt that Doherty was seen as the attacking RB Moutinho wanted to go with the attacking LB he got in Reguilon. (With a deep defensive block of Alderweirald and Dier behind two CDM's in Sissoko and Hjobjerg, all in front of a stay-on-your-line gk like Lloris, then JM clearly wants to see his FB's in this Spurs team attack more than he did with previous teams).

But even if he originally wanted Doherty, Mourinho is still quite capable of taking against a player who's not responding as he wishes, and dumping him again just as quickly. Which is not to write Doherty off just yet, but he really needs to get some games soon, ideally in the PL, to write himself back into Mourinho's plans, otherwise he risks being out the door with Aurier.

The January window will be interesting.

Edited by Territorial - 21 Dec 2020 at 5:42pm
Sponsored Links

Four-Four-Two View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Four-Four-Two Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2020 at 5:16pm
i would say aurier is a very poor defensively , even more than doherty who is not a natural for defensive instinct
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2020 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by Four-Four-Two Four-Four-Two wrote:

doherty was dropped for no mistakes , so why not ? they have pretty much traded places every time spurs lost this season 

Aurier is a better defender in a back four than Doherty and that's the long and the short of it.

"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Four-Four-Two View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Four-Four-Two Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2020 at 5:01pm
doherty was dropped for no mistakes , so why not ? they have pretty much traded places every time spurs lost this season 

Edited by Four-Four-Two - 21 Dec 2020 at 5:01pm
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2020 at 4:43pm

My worry for Doherty is especially against the other “top 6” and even against Leicester Everton Southampton pushing on is that Mourinho will see it as too much of a risk to start both himself and Reguilon. 

2 glorified wingbacks playing in a back 4 and unfortunately Reguilon is a stand out player really good so Doherty is the one the suffers. Il be honest I was sure he was planning on using a back 5 or even a 3-4-3 more likely when both Reguilon and Doherty signed as they really would have been tailor made for it the 2 of them. 

Will Doherty start the next day for Spurs who knows but if he doesn’t after Auriers mistake then that sends off alarm bells for me.

Aurier has been one of Spurs top performers this season and has made little to no mistakes, bar yesterday.

It would be extremely harsh on him to be dropped for one mistake.
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
kevin100 View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2020 at 3:57pm

Pauldaly1984 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauldaly1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2020 at 3:29am
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Doherty will start the next game id wager a bet

Hi Matt 
doherty View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2020 at 4:22pm
Doherty will start the next game id wager a bet
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2020 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Winks brought on for Aurier.

Question. Did Mourinho even want Doherty or was the signing forced upon him? I know Jorge Mendes was heavily involved in it and, as is common in British football now, there was a lot of politics behind the scenes in getting this deal done.

Question: did you watch the game?

Spurs were 2-0 down and Jose only had one sub left.
Taking of a RB who gave away a stupid penalty for a midfielder was an attacking strategy to try and get something from the game.

Why would he swap Aurier for Doherty at 2-0 down.

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2020 at 3:55pm
Winks brought on for Aurier.

Question. Did Mourinho even want Doherty or was the signing forced upon him? I know Jorge Mendes was heavily involved in it and, as is common in British football now, there was a lot of politics behind the scenes in getting this deal done.
kevin100 View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2020 at 3:31pm

Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Originally posted by King_Kenny King_Kenny wrote:

Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Originally posted by aviva8 aviva8 wrote:

Not in squad today, anyone know why ?

Didn’t think he would start as he started on Thursday. They won 4-0 so I would say it’s just using the entire squad rather than anything else. 

Lots of games coming up over Xmas so need to rotate the players. 

FA Cup and europa league for Matt until Aurier gets injured or loses form.

Based on what?

Before the international break Doherty played in the last 3 EPL games against Brighton, Burnley and West Brom.

He missed the Man City game due to COVID but played the next EL match. 

Pretty much it and Aurier played in the game last week against City which they won hence Aurier getting the nod here nothing much in it. Aurier no doubt will mess up completely again soon like he tends to do. 😂

Here we are 😂😂😂😂
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2020 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by King_Kenny King_Kenny wrote:

Aurier had a brain fart there!

Yes, Doherty will be first choice again. 

Absolutely no need to give away a penalty in that position.

King_Kenny View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2020 at 3:04pm
Aurier had a brain fart there!
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2020 at 10:18am
Aurier wasn't bad in fairness but I'm surprised he wasn't taken off with 10/15 to go. He looked like he was knackered and had started to commit stupid fouls around the Spurs box.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2020 at 9:57am
Surprised at the praise Aurier is getting for last night. Admittedly I only saw the highlights but he was caught out several times - almost all of Liverpool's chances came down his side. Was he just getting let down by Sissoko in front of him maybe?

"This is what separates the men from the fagg*ts." Dec. Jerry Lynch
Wes_Wanderers View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wes_Wanderers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 9:59pm
He will get back in. Aurier and him have traded the starting spot a couple of tikes already this season, it will only take one bad game for that to happen again.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 9:50pm
Yea he seems to have improved defensively this season Aurier
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 9:32pm
Doherty has played all of the Europa games on a Thursday and aurier games during the week.  Aurier has been immense tonight.   Doherty may play at the weekend. 
AKA pedantic kunt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 69>
  Share Topic