Forum Home Forum Home : Get your nicks and socks on! : The Coaches Room
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Match Day Formations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Match Day Formations
    Posted: 06 Apr 2017 at 6:59pm
Obviously you take opposition into account and could either make some minor tweaks or completely change your formation from one game to the next "but" what would be your most used formation?

This campaign is my first season managing a junior outfit, as a player for the club last season in the league we had 13 defeats and 3 wins all season Dead

I managed to move on a lot of older players who simply weren't good enough and filled the squad with teenagers and lads in their early 20's. Massive difference footballing wise and having the potential to really progress beyond mid table from next season "but" I'm still very cautious because we lack the experience to close out games so I tend to opt for a 4-1-4-1 more often than not.

We tried out 3-5-2 at the start of the season (played a friendly last night using it too) and I must say I absolutely love it, we're lacking an experienced centre half and sweeper keeper at the minute so it's probably too risky to play it! Hoping to sign 3 or 4 new players in the summer that will allow us too.

All in all I find the formation a joy to watch when it clicks allover the park. 
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Sponsored Links

lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2017 at 7:13pm
Always been a big fan of an orthodox 3-5-2

More of a 3-2-1-2-1-1

BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2017 at 7:48pm
Might as well be reading the phone book when it comes to formations imo. Different set up for different phases of play .
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2017 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by BabbsBalls BabbsBalls wrote:

Might as well be reading the phone book when it comes to formations imo. Different set up for different phases of play .

Realistically at junior/local level the time frame you get to work with players makes it difficult to execute everything you have in your mind for your team.

I only get to work with the players 2/3 hours a week (aside from match days) I often have to write out sheets on opposition players for each position i.e. what New Oak's left winger is like so I hand that to our right back on a Sunday morning "but" in terms of tactics/formations you have to have a couple you use regularly and then of course if time permits you can slot in phases of play, whether you're expansive or highly structured etc.

Hence why I said formations, just to get a rough idea that's all.

"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2017 at 9:59pm
It all depends on the players you have.

My last 3/4 years coaching senior team I played 4-3-3.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2017 at 11:16am
It really depends on which team has the initiative in a game though. 

4-3-3 is probably going to be realistically 4-5-1 if the opposition has all the ball. 3-5-2 probably becomes 5-3-2 or even 5-3-1-1 in the same scenario. 

You want your players to be flexible and dynamic enough to interpret when there is a need to push on up the field, overload the opposition down a flank or drop in and defend as necessary in any given moment. 
El Puto Amo
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2017 at 11:50am
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

4-3-3 is probably going to be realistically 4-5-1 if the opposition has all the ball.
Yes of course.

It's about when you have the ball, when they have the ball and the transition.

That lack of concentration when some 'pre-madonna' (sic) loses the ball and throws a hissy fit can be crucial in a transition.

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2017 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

4-3-3 is probably going to be realistically 4-5-1 if the opposition has all the ball.
Yes of course.

It's about when you have the ball, when they have the ball and the transition.

That lack of concentration when some 'pre-madonna' (sic) loses the ball and throws a hissy fit can be crucial in a transition.

Transition is the key word alright. Teams are at their most vulnerable when they have just lost the ball. Good teams can inflict damage and exploit the oppositions shape in a matter of seconds. 

I remember the Brazil world cup winning team from '02 were excellent at this. A fairly sturdy defence and a good covering midfielder in Gilberto Silva allowing them to shift the ball quickly for Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Kaka and Rivaldo to break. 

The Real side under Mourinho were pretty good at this too in some of the big games against Barca. All hands to the pump in defending with the likes of Pepe in midfield and then hitting the space behind Jordi Alba and Dani Alves with Bale, Ronaldo and Benzema breaking rapidly. 
El Puto Amo
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2017 at 1:03pm
The best I've seen was United in late 90's.

Schmeichel throwing the ball 60 yards to Giggs.......
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic