Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Martin O'Neill...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 388389390391392 419>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

The ex-Celtic players who played under him all seem to have the same level of delusion in relation to his abilities as a manager at this present time. They all have no problems admitting that he did very little work on the training ground, which is a minimum requirement for any modern day manager.

All happy to jump on the "Ireland don't have the players" bandwagon, yet ignore the lack of time he spends working with his team. I'm happy to accept that this is the poorest pool of players in my lifetime, but the lack of preparation on the training ground gave them little chance of success, which was evident since the Euros.

Success for them is finishing third. Gives them a chance to get out of the division, and we know how fond he is of finishing third. Not first - unrealistic expectations, not second - too ambitious. No, third will do. Something they have tried and failed to achieve most of the past 20 years. 

He has the enthusiasm, no doubts about that, he spent the past 6 years hunting a club job at his level. As for the training ground and adequate preparation, think we know what that amounts to. He won't be taking training seriously, let alone spying on the opposition's. So they can rest easy on that front.

It's not a question of will he be a success, more a question of when will he be sacked? Less than a year imo. That club have no patience with decent managers, let alone cantankerous conservative long ball merchants, like they have now. 
Sponsored Links

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 7:08pm
poor mick would be moved out of here and then back again going by some people’s logic.  Who gives a feck what section a thread is in. Some ocd merchants on here.  
AKA pedantic kunt
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 7:12pm
Everyone’s forgetting the fact it’s not the Fawaz’s in charge of Forest anymore. 

The current one has a track record of corruption in Greek footballso how he passed the fit and proper owners test is beyond me but then again Karl Oyston is part of the panel. 

In his defence however it’s worth noting that Karanka was not sacked and he was backed with £20 mil worth of Strikers, he ended up doing the same at Middlesbrough and threw a strop, I suspect he won’t be in high demand despite his good record because of his growing reputation to just leave clubs.

I just hope for the Owners sake he doesn’t give any money to Martin after the disasters at Sunderland and Villa
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

I find it amusing when people get worked up over which section a thread is in.
We need a peoples vote
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

We may have wanted him out in the end but id like to see him do well at forest. No hard feelings towards the man.
He is adored in Nottingham, the red side at least.  I hope it works out for him. 
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 10:12pm
I personally believe all will start well and end terribly within 12 months.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

Yeah the most likely scenario.  He will get the belief in the side going short term but without proper instruction they will flounder.  There is a  coach there called Simon Ireland who apparently was doing a  good job and it was thought Forest wanted MON to retain him. That might be his only hope of success there.  I don't know if that's the case or whether he is gone from Forest now.  Keane to me looks like he has turned the assistant role down over money despite MON saying its to do with his father which I don't buy at all.  Keane was personally in discussions with Forest and wouldn't have done so if he really did want time away from football. They didn't offer him what he thinks he is worth and so walked away for now anyway. Greed.  He has done fook all as a coach and can't expect to get huge money based on his playing career.  He is deluded if he thinks Forest will pay him big money.

If MON has no proper coach then he will be a disaster in the medium term.  He will have a 2 month honeymoon first though.  His record in the transfer market is abysmal too.  He pays big money and wages for absolute sh*te.  He's after buying a complete dud by the looks of it from Leicester only yesterday.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Yeah the most likely scenario.  He will get the belief in the side going short term but without proper instruction they will flounder.  There is a  coach there called Simon Ireland who apparently was doing a  good job and it was thought Forest wanted MON to retain him. That might be his only hope of success there.  I don't know if that's the case or whether he is gone from Forest now.  Keane to me looks like he has turned the assistant role down over money despite MON saying its to do with his father which I don't buy at all.  Keane was personally in discussions with Forest and wouldn't have done so if he really did want time away from football. They didn't offer him what he thinks he is worth and so walked away for now anyway. Greed.  He has done fook all as a coach and can't expect to get huge money based on his playing career.  He is deluded if he thinks Forest will pay him big money.

If MON has no proper coach then he will be a disaster in the medium term.  He will have a 2 month honeymoon first though.  His record in the transfer market is abysmal too.  He pays big money and wages for absolute sh*te.  He's after buying a complete dud by the looks of it from Leicester only yesterday.

Still negotiating and could go on for another 72 hours according to 5 live tonight.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 10:30pm
Is that right?LOL
Have you ever heard of an assistant manager having such notions of himself?  I have never heard in all my life a manager taking the job and  starting the job, while the assistant thrashes out his own terms with the hierarchy haggling them for money.  He has some ego.

If he applied for a job as a roadsweeper he would be demanding 100,000 a year!

kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 10:34pm
Not sure if he is greedy, never heard any stories about him being mean. In fact heard the opposite.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 10:41pm

Not sure if he is greedy, never heard any stories about him being mean. In fact heard the opposite.

1993 he demanded big money from Forest to stay.  Summer 1993 demanded big money from Blackburn.  summer 1993 wouldn't sign for Utd  until they gave him the money he wanted. It was this stalemate that he enrolled Michael Kennedy to negotiate for him who got him what he wanted eventually.  Summer 2000 demands huge money off Utd to stay.  This led the club to increase their season ticket prices.  Turned down Celtic when they didn't offer him the money he wanted in 2014/ 2015.   Looks like he may turn down Forest over money 2019.

doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 11:08pm

1993 he demanded big money from Forest to stay.  Summer 1993 demanded big money from Blackburn.  summer 1993 wouldn't sign for Utd  until they gave him the money he wanted. It was this stalemate that he enrolled Michael Kennedy to negotiate for him who got him what he wanted eventually.  Summer 2000 demands huge money off Utd to stay.  This led the club to increase their season ticket prices.  Turned down Celtic when they didn't offer him the money he wanted in 2014/ 2015.   Looks like he may turn down Forest over money 2019.

Isnt he right. Esp in the early years. He was a savage player and worth every penny.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 11:55pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Isnt he right. Esp in the early years. He was a savage player and worth every penny.

Clough called him a greedy child

cardwizzard View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cardwizzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2019 at 12:28am
Worth every penny of it for United he was. A bargain. 

Would never have perceived Keane as greedy. Overpaid with Ireland most definitely, hardly his fault. 

Re Forest, can't  see what he'd bring to the table for them. TV beckons. 

Edited by cardwizzard - 19 Jan 2019 at 12:29am
OohAah... View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OohAah... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2019 at 9:41am
I put 7 euro on them to be promoted at 14/1. Regardless of his perceived flaws, his record shows he's a successful manager and i think it's a clever appointment by forest.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2019 at 10:35am

I think there is a big difference between demanding to be paid the market value for your services in an industry and being greedy.

doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2019 at 10:57am
Originally posted by OohAah... OohAah... wrote:

I put 7 euro on them to be promoted at 14/1. Regardless of his perceived flaws, his record shows he's a successful manager and i think it's a clever appointment by forest.

No chance they will go up this season. They wont make the top 6.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2019 at 11:24am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I think there is a big difference between demanding to be paid the market value for your services in an industry and being greedy.

His market value as a manager/assistant is lower than the likes of Neil Warnock, Paul Lambert et al.  He is the same calibre manager as Paul Ince or Nigel Clough. In fact they are more employable than Keane.   So why is he looking for massive money??  His market value is very low.  He still thinks he is a hot shot player.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 388389390391392 419>
  Share Topic