Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Martin O'Neill...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 293294295296297 419>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Early doors but O'Neill currently 2nd favourite for Derby job (@3/1)

I assume this is a non runner. He has signed the contract, hasn't he? Or does he have a clause...?

Derby?  Not the most glamorous.  Even I'd have to think twice.  Would be majorly worried who the FAI will get now that sugar daddy DOB has taken his ball and gone home. 

Welcome Alan Pardew new Eire gafferDead
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Sponsored Links

planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 7:25pm
Derby decided to ignore the gombeen and go for someone with no baggage and can attract decent players. Not something he is reknowned for. 

Nobody wanted him at all in England, until JD showed up. He seems to now be in the "Allardyce" category of coaches in England. Someone you get in for a quick fix*, not someone to invest time and money on a long term contract, as arguing that he once won the League Cup won't be much of a defence against a fan backlash. 

28 years ago, our coach went to the World Cup and we played England. 28 years later, our coaches are going to the World Cup to tell everyone with a straight face, Denmark and Serbia included, how to play better, and to give the impression that they know what they're talking about. Unlike 28 years ago however, our players are on the beach and we're watching the World Cup on the sofa.

*in our case, we need him to sell more season tickets.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 8:16pm
Even more recently 4 years ago we were sitting on the sofa watching the world cup. 

Who was in in charge for that pathetic qualifying campaign (where we got nowhere near a playoff spot) Sherlock? 

Edited by irishmufc - 11 Jun 2018 at 8:16pm
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

Derby decided to ignore the gombeen and go for someone with no baggage and can attract decent players. Not something he is reknowned for. 

Nobody wanted him at all in England, until JD showed up. He seems to now be in the "Allardyce" category of coaches in England. Someone you get in for a quick fix*, not someone to invest time and money on a long term contract, as arguing that he once won the League Cup won't be much of a defence against a fan backlash. 

28 years ago, our coach went to the World Cup and we played England. 28 years later, our coaches are going to the World Cup to tell everyone with a straight face, Denmark and Serbia included, how to play better, and to give the impression that they know what they're talking about. Unlike 28 years ago however, our players are on the beach and we're watching the World Cup on the sofa.

*in our case, we need him to sell more season tickets.
I see this fanny is still spouting absolute ballix on here, Jesus take a break man ( or child) and leave your room for a while
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 8:01am
England failed to qualify for the 94 WC. The man responsible was fired 6 days later. Since then, they failed to qualify for one tournament. The man responsible was fired for that the following morning.

So you would assume that the man responsible for us getting kicked out of the WC 5-1 at home would result in instant dismissal. Any normal FA wouldn't let him see out the week. But this is the FAI and 6 months later, he's still in situ.

Edited by planning - 12 Jun 2018 at 8:22am
VAR: Cutting the crap out of football.
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 9:37am
England has more than 10 times the population of Ireland. Football is their national game. Of course they should be qualifying for everything. We have qualified for 6 tournaments in our entire history. Ridiculous comparison. 

I'm not arguing that MON should have been kept on. The playoff defeat was the time to leave. 

El Puto Amo
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

England has more than 10 times the population of Ireland. Football is their national game. Of course they should be qualifying for everything. We have qualified for 6 tournaments in our entire history. Ridiculous comparison. 

I'm not arguing that MON should have been kept on. The playoff defeat was the time to leave. 

Given how 2nd place/playoff is generally our realistic aim for every campaign then any manager of the Irish team deserves  another campaign if they achieve that position. Personally I think Trap still deserved another qualifying  campaign irrespective of our abysmal showing in Poland because we actually qualified for it and that group draw was mission impossible.

We got to the playoff under O'Neill. The fallout from Denmark will still be hanging over the team  until we at least qualify for Euro 2020 so I understand how a lot of people want him gone but a qualification in his first campaign, decent showing in France and playoff spot in his second one is good going for any Irish national team manager plus the players are still playing for him. It would be different if they rebelled and downed tools, then fair enough pull the plug but I think it would've been harsh to sack O'Neill on the basis of one catastrophic defeat from Denmarkk
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
DangerHere View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DangerHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Given how 2nd place/playoff is generally our realistic aim for every campaign then any manager of the Irish team deserves  another campaign if they achieve that position. Personally I think Trap still deserved another qualifying  campaign irrespective of our abysmal showing in Poland because we actually qualified for it and that group draw was mission impossible.

We got to the playoff under O'Neill. The fallout from Denmark will still be hanging over the team  until we at least qualify for Euro 2020 so I understand how a lot of people want him gone but a qualification in his first campaign, decent showing in France and playoff spot in his second one is good going for any Irish national team manager plus the players are still playing for him. It would be different if they rebelled and downed tools, then fair enough pull the plug but I think it would've been harsh to sack O'Neill on the basis of one catastrophic defeat from Denmarkk

I am not necessarily keen on him being sacked either, but I really don't think people's anger is based solely on the 5-1 defeat to Denmark...included in it is probably him trying to take the Stoke job, maybe the 1-1 draw in Georgia...maybe the poor showing at home to Austria and Wales...the very poor showing at home to Georgia (albeit we got the win) and perhaps the style of play of kick the ball as far as you can and hope it lands near an Irish player...if this doesn't work then try it again and again and again and again and again...when it becomes clear that it won't work at all...well...you can't win EVERY game

And yes I know we had GREAT wins away to Wales and Austria, but these wins should have been to guarantee qualification, however the lacklustre games at home to Wales, Austria and away to Georgia meant that they weren't. That group was there to be won

Edited by DangerHere - 12 Jun 2018 at 2:35pm
DangerHere View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DangerHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by DangerHere DangerHere wrote:

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

I am not necessarily keen on him being sacked either, but I really don't think people's anger is based solely on the 5-1 defeat to Denmark...included in it is probably him trying to take the Stoke job, maybe the 1-1 draw in Georgia...maybe the poor showing at home to Austria and Wales...the very poor showing at home to Georgia (albeit we got the win) and perhaps the style of play of kick the ball as far as you can and hope it lands near an Irish player...if this doesn't work then try it again and again and again and again and again...when it becomes clear that it won't work at all...well...you can't win EVERY game

And yes I know we had GREAT wins away to Wales and Austria, but these wins should have been to guarantee qualification, however the lacklustre games at home to Wales, Austria and away to Georgia meant that they weren't. That group was there to be won

Oops...didn't mean to do this Smile

Edited by DangerHere - 12 Jun 2018 at 2:35pm
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 6:46pm

When Eoin Hand lost 4-1 at home to them, he was let go. When Kerr drew 0-0 at home at the end of his first full campaign, he was let go. When Trap lost 6-1 to the future world champions, he was swiftly hauled in to Abbottstown to explain himself. When the gombeen who drew in Georgia last year, and couldn't beat Wales Serbia nor Austria at home last year, he was handed a new contract. To sell more season tickets. 

You can say it's a ridiculous comparison if you like. This is about ruthlessness. If you lose 5-1 at home that kicks you out of a World Cup , it doesn't matter what football culture you understand, you should be prepared to face the consequences.

Edited by planning - 12 Jun 2018 at 6:54pm
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 7:34am
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

When Eoin Hand lost 4-1 at home to them, he was let go. When Kerr drew 0-0 at home at the end of his first full campaign, he was let go. When Trap lost 6-1 to the future world champions, he was swiftly hauled in to Abbottstown to explain himself. When the gombeen who drew in Georgia last year, and couldn't beat Wales Serbia nor Austria at home last year, he was handed a new contract. To sell more season tickets. 

You can say it's a ridiculous comparison if you like. This is about ruthlessness. If you lose 5-1 at home that kicks you out of a World Cup , it doesn't matter what football culture you understand, you should be prepared to face the consequences.

Confused
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 1:04pm
I wonder will the Spanish take him off our hands now Tongue
We're decent enough..
BriMurt View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BriMurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 8:02pm
I'd be a great Ireland manager, I think. It seems so easy. I'd just tell the players not to make their trademark stupid mistakes, have more bottle, not sit back after a goal, and if they do score a goal then try not to score in the first 5 mins because that hasn't worked out well, statistically. And they'd be like, "Ooooooh....See we thought we were supposed to do all those things", and I'd be like "No. No you weren't...." 

Semi final of the next WC at least. 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 1:23am
Originally posted by BriMurt BriMurt wrote:

I'd be a great Ireland manager, I think. It seems so easy. I'd just tell the players not to make their trademark stupid mistakes, have more bottle, not sit back after a goal, and if they do score a goal then try not to score in the first 5 mins because that hasn't worked out well, statistically. And they'd be like, "Ooooooh....See we thought we were supposed to do all those things", and I'd be like "No. No you weren't...." 

Setting your sights too low...no belief in the players...
BaileNuisBhoy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaileNuisBhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 1:54am
really depressing to think we have another campaign ahead of us with this pr!ck in charge
Say no to Egg Chasing!!!
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 10:37am
Originally posted by BriMurt BriMurt wrote:

Clap
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 11:05am
Originally posted by BaileNuisBhoy BaileNuisBhoy wrote:

really depressing to think we have another campaign ahead of us with this pr!ck in charge

It sure is. Cry
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
BriMurt View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BriMurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by BaileNuisBhoy BaileNuisBhoy wrote:

I'm more depressed over the prospect of Aiden McGeady making more appearances for the team and running up the flank like a headless chicken. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 293294295296297 419>
  Share Topic