Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Martin McHugh in The Star

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 15>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by Kingkeano16 Kingkeano16 wrote:

It's not like it was an either/or option. We were woeful on the pitch, booing the players wasn't going to help the situation. I was gutted the two nights of the games, but this was my annual holiday so I went on the lash the other nights. I couldn't give a fcuk about the best fans in the world tag but I'm livid about being called an embarrassment.

correct , next we'll have goons on saying the team played sh*te because of us LOL, some moronic stuff being trotted out and begrudgers are lining up...
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
Sponsored Links

Irish2011 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish2011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 1:49pm
McHugh is dead right, singing at 4-0 down, i felt like crying watching that performance, not singing.
Kingkeano16 View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingkeano16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by Irish2011 Irish2011 wrote:

McHugh is dead right, singing at 4-0 down, i felt like crying watching that performance, not singing.

A lot of people were doing both. Were you at the game? It seems that the television representation of what went on is a little different to the actual events. 
Mr Burns: Tonight Homer I want you to show Marge the time of her life.
Homer: Marge! We're getting a drive thru and doin' it twice!
Sono View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Inspector Gadget

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by Sono Sono wrote:

Originally posted by ericdogg ericdogg wrote:

I would take being in the second round of the competition than being known for singing songs. I think there is justification in the view/opinion that it was embarrassing. German TV may be banging on about how great Ireland fans are win/lose or draw but at the same time they are now looking at the game in September as 3 easy points.

And before all the sensitive soles on here start banging on...singing songs doe snot make you more/less a bigger fan. I like to sing at Ireland games but I am more concerned with whats happening on the pitch. I had waited my whole life to go see Ireland play at a tournament and my heart had been wrenched out.

Agree with all of this, f**k this best fans in the world tag, give me that second round clash with England any day.

its not an either or though Sono.  Having great fans does not make you crap at football.  

We would all love to have a much better team that went with better tactics  But we are not in controll of that, what we are in control of is our behaviour. 

What it feels like to me is other countries are saying 'we cant believe how much you guys support your country when you are so sh*t'

For me it feels like others are laughing at us but maybe that's just me.

Irish2011 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish2011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 1:55pm
I was yeah, loads of bandwagon supporters in my opinion at the game.
ScotsIrish View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScotsIrish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 1:55pm
I was there and sang my heart out while the tears where falling. No one there was celebrating, it just happened and it was magical. It is something I will never forget

Edited by ScotsIrish - 21 Jun 2012 at 1:56pm
fochie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fochie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 1:59pm
 I wouldn't begrudge anyone blowing off steam by singing if it helps them deal with 
the emotion. 
Singing can be therapeutic to a tortured soul, Its been done at wakes for a thousand years in this country.

Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 2:01pm

A lot of people were doing both. Were you at the game? It seems that the television representation of what went on is a little different to the actual events. 
yes i was there and i can tell you there were plenty who didnt think it was a lament. The fai and trap didnt think so either as they have used it as vindication for the embarassment we endured on the field. The lads dancing around on the big screen at 4-0 down missed the point as well i think.

its funny there was no laments during the stan era. 

great ambassadors for bord failte yes, supporters of or football team? Your having a laugh, we couldnt even sell out the home leg of the playoff against estonia ffs.
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 2:04pm
Pretty much everybody who has criticised the singing at the end of Spain game wasn't in the stadium, therefore they haven't a clue why Irish supporters were singing or the nature of what the Irish supporters there were feeling at the time. Anyway some people have little to be complaining about. The likes of McHugh are just trying to take a contrarian position for the sake of it.
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingkeano16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by Citizen Citizen wrote:

yes i was there and i can tell you there were plenty who didnt think it was a lament. The fai and trap didnt think so either as they have used it as vindication for the embarassment we endured on the field. The lads dancing around on the big screen at 4-0 down missed the point as well i think.

its funny there was no laments during the stan era. 

great ambassadors for bord failte yes, supporters of or football team? Your having a laugh, we couldnt even sell out the home leg of the playoff against estonia ffs.

Fine there were people there who weren't genuine fans, but making generalisations like McHugh did and calling the fans an embarrassment was OTT. I'm a genuine fan, I sang and I take offence to his comments that it was embarrassing. 
ericdogg View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericdogg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 2:05pm

I would take being in the second round of the competition than being known for singing songs. I think there is justification in the view/opinion that it was embarrassing. German TV may be banging on about how great Ireland fans are win/lose or draw but at the same time they are now looking at the game in September as 3 easy points.

And before all the sensitive soles on here start banging on...singing songs doe snot make you more/less a bigger fan. I like to sing at Ireland games but I am more concerned with whats happening on the pitch. I had waited my whole life to go see Ireland play at a tournament and my heart had been wrenched out.

Agree with all of this, f**k this best fans in the world tag, give me that second round clash with England any day.

its not an either or though Sono.  Having great fans does not make you crap at football.  

We would all love to have a much better team that went with better tactics  But we are not in controll of that, what we are in control of is our behaviour. 

What it feels like to me is other countries are saying 'we cant believe how much you guys support your country when you are so sh*t'

No you're not alone Sono. The laughing stock of European football and thats not the fans fault but the continued singing aggravates the view other nations will have that we are totally uncompetitive. But we are the singing army who don't really care if we win or lose.
International Caps - 7

International Goals - 1
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 2:08pm

I would take being in the second round of the competition than being known for singing songs. I think there is justification in the view/opinion that it was embarrassing. German TV may be banging on about how great Ireland fans are win/lose or draw but at the same time they are now looking at the game in September as 3 easy points.

its not an either or though Sono. Having great fans does not make you crap at football.   

We would all love to have a much better team that went with better tactics But we are not in controll of that, what we are in control of is our behaviour.

No, it's not just you. There's another 4 or 5 posters that have the same cynical outlook and seem to have spent every thread from before and after the tournament whinging and moaning about something.

That's about it though, the rest of us seem to be able to see if for what is was, defiance and the fact that we'd have been more embarrassed at being outsung by the Spanish support given that they made up about 15% of the crowd tops.

Not one person was happy with the performances and we'd all sooner have made a mark due to our football rather than the conduct of our fans but as has been pointed out, it's not an either or situation.

Edited by Drumcondra 69er - 21 Jun 2012 at 2:08pm
Sono View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Inspector Gadget

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 2:09pm
One FB comment the other night summed it up for me

"2-0 down but it's ok we will sing a song"

500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingkeano16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 2:10pm

No you're not alone Sono. The laughing stock of European football and thats not the fans fault but the continued singing aggravates the view other nations will have that we are totally uncompetitive. But we are the singing army who don't really care if we win or lose.

That's fcuking Bullsh*t. I cared just as much as any fan in that stadium. I didn't feel like singing but I did it because I thought it was the right thing to do. Sick of listening to this sh*t that because we sang we didn't care. I went straight back to the hotel after and went to bed. I was gutted. But obviously it meant more to superfans like you who didn't sing.
mactifosi View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mactifosi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 2:11pm
I felt like crying watching our lads being taught a footballing lesson but at the same time I think singing is the best way to show solidarity with the players, to try lift their spirits and lift our own spirits - why kick them when they are down. Anyone who has played sports at any sort of decent level will know how empty and gutted they must have felt, it's heartbreaking for us and for them.

I grew up with the tradition of singing at funerals (wakes), I find comfort in singing when I am sad and it was a great demonstration of solidarity. 
For me it completely felt like a lament, a cry of defiance, I did not see anyone around me happy, until I met some lads singing 'we are celtic' outside the ground and hoping around like Celtic had just won the league Angry

It didn't make me happier but it made me proud of my country that we could collectively show our pride in our nation even in adversity - we don't only sing when we are winning.

For anyone who was not there is very hard to put into words, they did not see and feel the emotional effect it had on the Spanish and the Poles - Spanish fans were apologising to us for beating us.

As someone living in Poland and have a good understanding of their culture, the effect on them was profound. It may only have been 10 mins of singing for some, but it will change the lives and mentality of many millions of people in Poland and around Europe.

Many Poles are asking why they cannot do the same, why should they be ashamed of singing Polish traditional and patriotic songs in public. For them it was a moment of awakening, that they should also be proud of their nation and not shy away from the past.

Polish men going up to Irish guys on the street to show their appreciation - if you don't live here you will not know how remarkable that is. They are normally much more reserved and hold back from approaching strangers in this way.

It was truly remarkable and something I will always be proud to have been part of.

Edited by mactifosi - 21 Jun 2012 at 2:11pm
http://pinterest.com/mactifosi/lech-poznan/
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 2:13pm

I would take being in the second round of the competition than being known for singing songs. I think there is justification in the view/opinion that it was embarrassing. German TV may be banging on about how great Ireland fans are win/lose or draw but at the same time they are now looking at the game in September as 3 easy points.

its not an either or though Sono. Having great fans does not make you crap at football.   

We would all love to have a much better team that went with better tactics But we are not in controll of that, what we are in control of is our behaviour.

No you're not alone Sono. The laughing stock of European football and thats not the fans fault but the continued singing aggravates the view other nations will have that we are totally uncompetitive. But we are the singing army who don't really care if we win or lose.

That's fcuking Bullsh*t. I cared just as much as any fan in that stadium. I didn't feel like singing but I did it because I thought it was the right thing to do. Sick of listening to this sh*t that because we sang we didn't care. I went straight back to the hotel after and went to bed. I was gutted. But obviously it meant more to superfans like you who didn't sing.

I'd put money on the fact that none of them thought that at the time and is was only following Keane's comments that these opinions were formed.....
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 2:14pm

Yeah, I'm sure the fans of Wales, San Marino, Bosnia etc were laughing their heads off at us.
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 2:14pm
the day after the croatia game, on sky sports news, the reporter asked a group of irish fans, so are you disappointted with the result? The guys response was its 10.30 and were on our 4th pint, the party has only just begun.

another group singing in gdansk singing 'were on here for the party'

this sh*t riles me, as i like many here were there for the football
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 15>
  Share Topic