You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Martin McHugh in The Star

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 15>
Author
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingkeano16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Martin McHugh in The Star
    Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 12:16pm
Absolutely sickening headline to Martin McHugh's column in the Star today, "It was an embarrassment to hear Irish fans singing when we were getting beat 4-0 by Spain."

Is anyone else getting really pissed off with this crap? I was in Gdansk that night and I sang my heart out. There was nearly tears filling in my eyes but I kept going because it was the thing to do. Obviously the team knew they were playing sh*t, would booing have helped? 

He goes on to say that we are disgracing the country abroad and likens the green army to the people causing bother in Australia and Canada. I do not get why a GAA pundit is having a go like this about a soccer issue.

I intend to send him a strongly worded email and I would suggest others do the same.

martin.mchugh@thestar.ie

AngryAngryAngryAngry
Mr Burns: Tonight Homer I want you to show Marge the time of her life.
Homer: Marge! We're getting a drive thru and doin' it twice!
Sponsored Links

Neil Armstrong View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cyavan Cyunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Armstrong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 12:19pm
have not seen it but bang out of order if so
Ulster Champions 2020 our 40th Title. Take that all ye Moanaghan ***ts!
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 12:20pm
I think so many really missed the point of the Fields of Athenry against Spain.

It was a lament, like sung at a funeral It was not a song of celebration but a song sang in a terrible situation and of Defiance. 

Gobsh*tes like Mc Hugh and Keane totally missing the point in my view.
AKA pedantic kunt
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 12:25pm
A lament is the correct word, unlike other fans we dont "only sing when we are winning".

people who havent a clue saying that irish fans missed the point about roy keanes rant. He is the one who missed the point. But happily the worlds media and the fans from other nations did not.

some day we'll have a winning team and maybe we wont get as much plaudits for being great fans, i look forward to that day but until then i am happy to sing.

The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
cm79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
Cawhil cattle caaaaal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cm79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 12:27pm
I was there myself and it was an unreal experience.

I have not read the Martin McHugh article so I cant really comment on it, all I can say is that we had fans from many nationalities coming up to us after the match and the following day telling us that they could not believe how good the Irish supporters were.

Is McHugh trying to be a Roy Keane type figure for the GAA, he should know Joe Brolly has that one all sewn up.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 12:27pm
The gaa men will love sticking the boot in now

Sure if Keane hadn't come out with that line that wee fruit with the 12 year olds haircut wouldnt have dreamt it up in a million years

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 12:31pm
Yes people missed the point. I didnt feel like singing but it wad like we were mourning. What I didnt agree with was when some irish fans glashed up on the big screen and were laughing and smiling anf we were 4-0 down. Im sure most of us here were gutted.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
YBIG's resident Nordy/London Hipster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

It was a lament, like sung at a funeral It was not a song of celebration but a song sang in a terrible situation and of Defiance. 

Nail. On. The. Head.
@AntrimMan85
eire77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eire77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 12:36pm

+1

I've actually struggled to explain what it meant to me since I came home.

It was anything but celebration. Closer to, as you say, defiance and a show of support in adversity. It started quite low but got louder and prouder as it went on.

It was a special moment in my football supporting life. Pride, defiance, strength in adversity but not celebration that's for sure. I like many others held back the tears.

Never in my memory was that song sang truer to its original meaning at a sporting occasion. It is not a song of joy but a song of loss and a hope of better times ahead.

Getting tired of muppets who don't get it.

Edited by eire77 - 21 Jun 2012 at 12:38pm
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me...
SteviesGranny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteviesGranny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 12:38pm

Fair point but there was plenty of lads jumping up and down hugging each other while they were singing it....they didn't look like they are at a funeral to me.
deco911 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Reg Hunter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deco911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 12:38pm
i was gutted at 86mins gone but when song started it was more a song of apprectiation of players n fans that a smiley thing my eyes welled up its surreal experience and unless mr mcugh was there then its best not to comment
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 12:39pm
Yeah but they were not the majority they were a tiny minority. 

When you have over 25,000 fans in the stadium you are going to get some who are only there for the jolly. 

Most of the fans around me were either in tears or holding back the tears when we were being beat 4-0 and Fields of Athenry was being sung. 
AKA pedantic kunt
eire77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eire77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by SteviesGranny SteviesGranny wrote:

Fair point but there was plenty of lads jumping up and down hugging each other while they were singing it....they didn't look like they are at a funeral to me.

To be fair to you I watched it back since coming home and there was some eegits but most were more sombre
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me...
Kingkeano16 View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kingkeano16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 12:44pm
Hi,

I literally could not believe my eyes when I read the headline in your column this morning. It took me 22 hours to get back from Poland and this is the kind of tripe I open up in the morning.

Firstly, I spent one week in Poland supporting the Irish team. I used money that I earned and did not take out any loans or take money from mammy or daddy. It cost a lot of money to get there, it took a lot of effort and there were a lot of logistical challenges.

During my time there, I witnessed the 'embarrassment' that you write of in today's paper. During the final 10 minutes of the Spain game, we knew the team were beaten, the team knew they were beaten. What were we supposed to do, Boo our team? No, we didn't we sang our hearts out. We sang The Fields of Athenry, which is a lament, of times that were bad but in the hope that one day things will be better, pretty apt if you ask me. This has been acclaimed all over the world but a few people (Mainly pundits looking for attention) have decided to have a go and say that we were a disgrace. Croatian fans have been fined on three occasions for racist abuse, Russian and Polish fans have rioted on the streets of Poland, but we Irish are a disgrace because we sang? 

There was tears in my eyes as i sang that song and afterwards, I like many others in that stadium went straight back to the hotel because we were gutted. We went out the next night because we were on holiday and we wanted to enjoy ourselves.

You made a comparison between the Green Army and the tens of thousands of people who have emigrated to Australia and Canada. Firstly do you not see that Euro 2012 was many peoples' annual holiday, not a year long piss up, but a week long holiday. If having a week long holiday is showing us up as drunken idiots, surely every family that leaves these shores in the next few months are classed in the same category?

I'm assuming that during your 'research' into writing this article, you talked to people who were actually in Poland? No you probably didn't, because if you did you would have found that the Polish people were absolutely amazed at the impeccable behaviour of the Green Army who took over the cities of Poznan and Gdansk. Polish representatives have sent messages of thanks and goodwill to Ireland due to the unbelievable atmosphere we created during our stay there. The feel good factor was amazing and it beats the doom and gloom merchants, who are doing their best to drain all form of life out of the Irish people.

On a last point, having been a regular at Donegal games over the past decade, there are times when I've witnessed fans leaving early and getting on players' backs (Cork V Donegal 2009). They are in the minority but there are always a few. Sweeping statements and generalisations do not paint a true reflection. The 30,000 Irish fans who went to Poland deserve a little respect and the only reason you wrote the article was to get attention, just liek Keane and Roddy Collins, you're in good company there. Just stick to GAA.

And your timing is also an absolute disgrace, on the front page is the picture of the young lad, who never came home. It's now an embarrassment that lads like him sang when we were 4-0 down.

In years to come, I will remember those last ten minutes when the Irish showed the world that our spirit can be bruised but never broken.
Kingkeano16 View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingkeano16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 12:49pm
fcukers email not working. Definitely sending it to someone..
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 12:55pm
Wouldnt lose sleep over it personally..
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 12:57pm
Fook him. He's a no mark who'd probably have been happier had we ran onto the pitch and bundled the ref into the boot of a car.

Well worded email by the way, fair dues.
Shebber View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shebber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 12:59pm
Keane and McHugh are not intelligent enough to get the point.

It was an amazing experience, I sang my heart out though felt like crying. Must admit, I too have a gripe with the camera showing irish fans laughing and joking when in relaity it was a sombre moment, which should have been like singing at a funeral.

I've an even bigger gripe with adding in the 'hey baby let the free birds fly' by a minority of fans. This is a practice that should be removed from renditions of this song immediately imo.
If you have 200 million priests, and 5% of them are paedophiles, that's still only 10 million paedophiles!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 15>
  Share Topic