You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Martin McGuinness

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 20>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2011 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

If norris has to answer about his past so should mc Guinness.

Hypocrisy for anyone not to want noriss to run because of his past and yet support mc guiness and his past.

+1

As I said above though don't forget the usual Shinner bollixology ''whatever happend in the past should be left there.''
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2011 at 3:30pm

Hypocrisy for anyone not to want noriss to run because of his past and yet support mc guiness and his past.

Excellent pointClap
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
IrishPride View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishPride Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2011 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

+1

As I said above though don't forget the usual Shinner bollixology ''whatever happend in the past should be left there.''
So you want to dwell on the past then? Funny how you said i was living in the 19th century last weekend when i was shouting for the yanks in the Rugby. You cant have it both ways. You either have to forget about the past or not. 
Galway Will Win The 2014 Hurling Championship
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2011 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

Excellent pointClap

It is, but it won't come in to play much in this election. The difference is that any revelations about Norris were new to the spotlight, McGuinness has been ignoring revelations for years. Everybody knows he was in the IRA, and most probably the army council of it. Nothing new there. Didn't do Adams any harm in Louth, rightly or wrongly, and it will be much the same with McGuinness.  Think SFs directors of elections have stolen a march on the likes of FG in particular, and I suppose you could say FF, if those bollixes werent so fcuked already (all of their own making)

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2011 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by IrishPride IrishPride wrote:

+1

So you want to dwell on the past then? Funny how you said i was living in the 19th century last weekend when i was shouting for the yanks in the Rugby. You cant have it both ways. You either have to forget about the past or not. 

Confused 

Bit of a difference between a game of Rugby and somebody wanting to run for President. Oh you also said If I'm not mistaken having Norris as President would be an embarrasment yet you have no problem in voting for some like McGuinness.
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Trapped View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Coat hangar expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trapped Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2011 at 3:41pm
I like what Sinn Fein stand for in some ways but don't think i'd want someone with such close ties to paramilitaries to be president of the country. 
67% points to games ratio at the last Euro's (better than Portugal's)
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2011 at 3:46pm
The Louth public are a lot more sympathetic to mc guiness past than the wider public. Remember over 1 million peoPle live in Dublin. Very hard to win election without getting huge parts of Dublin.

I will be surprised if a protest vote comes out in large numbers for the president. One thing having Adams as an opposition Td. Another thing to have mc Guinness as president and head of state. Will people want an ex terrorist representing us around the world. Will the wider public want that. I don't think so.

By the way I like mc Guinness I think he is a smart good guy,also think norris is too.

I know people know about mc Guinness past buy when it gets highlighted again and again during the campaign. It will hit home.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishPride Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2011 at 3:58pm

+1

Confused 

Bit of a difference between a game of Rugby and somebody wanting to run for President. Oh you also said If I'm not mistaken having Norris as President would be an embarrasment yet you have no problem in voting for some like McGuinness.
It wasnt the actual game of rugby but the principles with regards to the flag and anthem etc.., behind the game. I think you knew that.

What i was questioning here was your hypocrisy when you said we shouldnt forget the past in this situation, while you were telling me last week to stop living in the past, not the morals of each candidate.

I thought having Norris as president would be embarrassing because hes a gay. Not because of stuff that happened in the past.
soccerc View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soccerc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2011 at 4:01pm

I thought having Norris as president would be embarrassing because hes a gay. Not because of stuff that happened in the past.

Are you aware Norris would not be the first gay Irish President?
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishPride Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2011 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by soccerc soccerc wrote:

First openly gay president
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2011 at 4:05pm

The Louth public are a lot more sympathetic to mc guiness past than the wider public. Remember over 1 million peoPle live in Dublin. Very hard to win election without getting huge parts of Dublin.

I will be surprised if a protest vote comes out in large numbers for the president. One thing having Adams as an opposition Td. Another thing to have mc Guinness as president and head of state. Will people want an ex terrorist representing us around the world. Will the wider public want that. I don't think so.

By the way I like mc Guinness I think he is a smart good guy,also think norris is too.

I know people know about mc Guinness past buy when it gets highlighted again and again during the campaign. It will hit home.

Yeah, realise that Louth may not be an accurate barometer of all of Ireland. But I think the point is being missed here, nobody knows better than SF that McGuinness wont win it, this is about profile building for them, a respectable showing in this election (say , coming 3rd) and it is a giant step further into mainstream southern Ireland politics, something that SF have been struggling to do for decades. They would not have even considered this only the fact the main parties have put forward such weak candidates, and they have correctly recognised that their candidate has a higher profile than any of the rest and they are seeking to get an advantage out of it at the cost to some of the traditional parties like FF and FG here. As regards this objective, if that is what it is, I think thay have caught the rest napping.

Edit; just as regards the Dublin point, fully agree, but FG have gone for a candidate that has no profile where the 3 point whatever million outside of Dublin live. Surely a criminal error by Phil Hogan and whoever the rest of the brains behind FG are, given they are the largest party in government ?

Edited by deise316 - 16 Sep 2011 at 4:09pm
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2011 at 4:07pm
What wrong with being gay.

Is it better to be a terrorist than a gay person.

How would people like that every time our president goes around the world he is describes as ex terrorist on fox news or sky news or BBC or French or german tv.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2011 at 4:09pm

+1

Confused 

It wasnt the actual game of rugby but the principles with regards to the flag and anthem etc.., behind the game. I think you knew that.

What i was questioning here was your hypocrisy when you said we shouldnt forget the past in this situation, while you were telling me last week to stop living in the past, not the morals of each candidate.

Well done you go on about moving on from the past in relation to McGuinness and you come out with a bigoted remark like that Clown

deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2011 at 4:11pm

How would people like that every time our president goes around the world he is describes as ex terrorist on fox news or sky news or BBC or French or german tv.

There was a time Nelson Mandela was described in similar terms.....

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2011 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

There was a time Nelson Mandela was described in similar terms.....

Bit of difference between Mandela and McGuinness

deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2011 at 4:17pm
I know full well there is, just making a point, one mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter etc...

soccerc View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soccerc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2011 at 4:20pm

Originally posted by soccerc soccerc wrote:

First openly gay president

Does that make a difference?
If he was in the closet he'd be acceptable?

AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
YBIG's resident Nordy/London Hipster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2011 at 4:20pm
In fairness, McGuinness has never really shyed away from his past and why should he?

I think when you see rev David Lattimers thoughts on him, there's more similarities than differences with people like Mandella.

Personally, I don't really understand the nomination, surely he'll have to give up deputy first minister to run?
@AntrimMan85
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 20>
  Share Topic