You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mark Sykes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by 84ccfc84 84ccfc84 wrote:

yeah SK needs to move to 4 at the back v poorer sides. no excuses to stick with the 5 added to the fact its latvia. 5 at the back is the 'best' way to stifle mbappe though so ive no real issue with it being used v france. time to mix things up tactically and personnel wise SK, show us something. 

Better to look at it as a three at the back against weaker teams. We can't really switch to a four because we don't have the full backs to play that system, they're all wing backs that get found out in a back four. 
Sponsored Links

nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 7:35pm
Jaysus lads, how many times has it to be said? Copying and pasting from sites behind pay walls isn't on. The pay wall is there to pay the staff and support an industry in its knees. If you want to read it, buy the paper or a sub. 
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 8:12pm
Dived there to try and win a penalty 
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 8:14pm
Definitely not a dive. He had cut across Lewis and there was clear contact on his back. Desperately unlucky as he'd done great to get in the position.
We're decent enough..
Scissors Kick View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scissors Kick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Gotta admit I'd not be anticipating a switch to a back 4 v Latvia.
Nor a plethora of new faces.

That last window soured me on Kenny's decision-making and even his ambition.
We had Browne, Robinson and Cullen start both games.
Why?  What were we going to learn?
We played three CBs versus Malta.
MALTA FFS!
McLean started v Malta also...to learn what?
Hendrick came on as a sub...unbelievable.

It was a very frustrating time and it looked like a manager desperate to keep his job.  Risk-averse.
What has changed between then and now?
Nothing that tells me he'll behave any different in this window, or treat Latvia as a test-bed for a new (old) formation or new players.

I hate to pick on Hourihane but the lad fooked us bad v Armenia.
No idea why he was introduced, and his performance could have cost Kenny his job.
If he's named then it shows us Kenny has learned nothing.

I like McGrath but not sure he has done anything like enough to warrant a call-up.

I wish we didn't have to dip into L1 for players but if we are, it's to pick one or two who have potential futures at higher levels - Knight and Azaz are the two there.
Cashin also, but we're stacked at CB.

Overall I have the fear growing as we approach these matches.
I can't see past a turgid win over Latvia and then a battling but ultimately conclusive loss to France.

Look, maybe young Evan wil light up Landsdown...of what a night that would be so we live in hope Shocked
What else is there.

Absolutely agree & if we see a Browne  /  Hendrick  /  Hourihane  led squad  & team ahead of a Sykes  /  Smallbone  /  Molumby  /  Knight   /  Coventry  /  Hodge rollover in midfield, he will use any scrap of goodwill he has left. 

All those players are around the same level, they will deliver broadly the same set of results in the group. One are getting on and have failed repeatedly, one have improvement and maybe higher career ceilings & their careers ahead of them

We will fail in this group either way, we won't qualify, but let's gain valuable experience doing so & constantly learn.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Definitely not a dive. He had cut across Lewis and there was clear contact on his back. Desperately unlucky as he'd done great to get in the position.

Ah come on, played for it and initiated the contact 100%

There was contact but was still a dive 
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Ah come on, played for it and initiated the contact 100%

There was contact but was still a dive 

The commentators didn't agree, "could very easily have been give" was their phrasing. Sykes was ahead of Lewis and Lewis' leg made contact with Sykes (intentional or not), as well as putting his hand into Sykes back. You can argue about whether it was enough for a peno, but a dive it definitely was  not.
We're decent enough..
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 9:02pm
Keane seemed angry with him for being more concerned with waiting for a potential foul than getting a shot away 
It’s a dive, no way that slight contact should make you fall over

Spades a spade 
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 9:15pm
Excellent defending to deny what likely would have been City's second just there.
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 10:38pm
Got a fair bit of pace does the lad, deceptively fast because his strides are on the shorter side. 

Thought he got caught ball watching badly for the 3rd, lost Ake completely.

Edited by SeaSharp - 28 Feb 2023 at 11:11pm
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

Got a fair bit of pace does the lad, deceptively fast because his strides are on the shorter side. 

Thought he got caught ball watching badly for the 3rd, lost Ake completely.

He has to be fast to escape the fugitive Richard Kimble
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2023 at 5:15pm
Has been given a four game ban at club level for kicking out at Ryan Manning in a league game between Bristol and Swansea last week. Hopefully no bad blood between them longer term, could have been awkward if Manning had been in the Ireland squad.
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2023 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Has been given a four game ban at club level for kicking out at Ryan Manning in a league game between Bristol and Swansea last week. Hopefully no bad blood between them longer term, could have been awkward if Manning had been in the Ireland squad.

Can't imagine any bad blood, happens all the time in club football. Him and McClean have got stuck into each other and squared up a few times.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2023 at 4:00pm
Scores
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
SC92 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2023 at 4:01pm
Scores!

(I'm late noticing though, haha!)
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2023 at 1:41pm
Just scored a very decent goal for Bristol City. Switched over from the Southampton game, Knight also playing very well, had one off the line and another disallowed. 

Edited by You Tell Me - 02 Sep 2023 at 1:42pm
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2023 at 1:52pm
Gets the assist for their second.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2023 at 1:52pm
Excellent assist for the second as well, he has a great low cross ball in him, great at finding the area at the edge of the six yard box that is just out of the keeper's reach.

Bristol City have a very decent team this year, could make a run at the top 6. Sykes should probably be in the senior squad.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic