You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mark Sykes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2023 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by amccarten313 amccarten313 wrote:

some form hes in

Type of form that makes you think should a formation with wingers be considered against Latvia.
Sponsored Links

Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2023 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

some form hes in

Type of form that makes you think should a formation with wingers be considered against Latvia.

Yes, absolutely we should look at a 4-3-3 in such a match to have it as an option if/when the need arises further down the line.
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2023 at 10:35pm

some form hes in

Why? If Kenny plans to play 352 in all competitive games he should also use it in friendlies and get these fringe players used to playing in his system. At least they've some familiarity with it then if they end having to come in
84ccfc84 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84ccfc84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2023 at 11:02pm
Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

some form hes in

Why? If Kenny plans to play 352 in all competitive games he should also use it in friendlies and get these fringe players used to playing in his system. At least they've some familiarity with it then if they end having to come in

they are pro players, if they cant adjust to a formation change then i give up. plenty of teams change formations/roles based on opponents. what is clear is that our 3 at the back is turgid against any team that sits in deep. lets get more players higher up the pitch and cause them problems, its a friendly for godness sake. if things cant be switched up for them then what hope do we have at all. kenny has to give some good minutes this window to the likes of smallbone and sykes, wasted that malta game showing us what we've already known for years.
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2023 at 12:00am
Originally posted by 84ccfc84 84ccfc84 wrote:

Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

some form hes in

they are pro players, if they cant adjust to a formation change then i give up. plenty of teams change formations/roles based on opponents. what is clear is that our 3 at the back is turgid against any team that sits in deep. lets get more players higher up the pitch and cause them problems, its a friendly for godness sake. if things cant be switched up for them then what hope do we have at all. kenny has to give some good minutes this window to the likes of smallbone and sykes, wasted that malta game showing us what we've already known for years.
Agree with you completely but it looks like Kenny is married to the 352 and its variations, opting for a 1-2 in midfield against strong sides and a 2-1 against similar/weaker sides. I'd be surprised if he goes with anything but a 3-4-1-2 against Latvia, if he wants to give a Sykes a go in a wider role he might go back to the 3-4-3 instead 
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2023 at 8:35am
Sykes is versatile and can play in any system. He’s in terrific form at the moment and should be in the team for the Latvia game.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2023 at 9:39am
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

Sykes is versatile and can play in any system. He’s in terrific form at the moment and should be in the team for the Latvia game.

He's no good at throw ins though because he only has one arm and one mechanical arm
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2023 at 6:52pm
Thought he played very well vs Hull today. Got in behind Greaves a good few times and linked up well with Scott and Tanner. Nearly scored in the first minute as well. Could have done with getting his head up a bit earlier on a couple of occasions but all in all he was one of the best players on the pitch, IMO. 

Went to RB for the last 20 mins or so and did well there too including some great covering behind his center halves. 

Now for me to grumble about the £5.40 pints Dead

Edited by SeaSharp - 25 Feb 2023 at 6:55pm
84ccfc84 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84ccfc84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 2:49pm
has anyone a subscription to the indo here?
there was a piece done with sykes over the weekend wonder could someone c+p if possible
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 5:11pm
Ireland don't play with a front three so what pecking order has he shot up?

Does he play in CM where can also play or RWB. Won't happen against Latvia but should give four at the back another go to include some wingers in our formation.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 5:35pm

Ireland don't play with a front three so what pecking order has he shot up?

Does he play in CM where can also play or RWB. Won't happen against Latvia but should give four at the back another go to include some wingers in our formation.

I would like to see us go with a 4-3-3 vs Latvia (in preparation for Gibralter in June). Good teams should have at least a couple of "go to" formations. Yes we have a plethora of good cb's but Kenny's struggles for the most part have been against the "weaker" teams where we have struggled to create/score. Generally our performances vs higher ranked sides have been mostly ok and I think the 3 CB's works well vs tougher opposition.

There are quite a few lads imo who suit the wider roles in a 4-3-3, Ogbene/Sykes/Connolly/O'Dowda and the 5-2-3 which was tried didnt work at all. I'd like to see us have a go vs Latvia with an attacking 4-3-3 formation.
Idah Dream!
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 5:44pm
Think we still need two up front. That Ferguson on his own isn't ready to lead the line for us and we don't really have the midfielder to play the ten role.

While we ain't Brighton I think the 442/4231 that they use with Welbeck and Ferguson recently or even Norwich when Pukki and Idah played together could be worth a shout.

Edited by J89 - 28 Feb 2023 at 5:45pm
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 5:55pm

Think we still need two up front. That Ferguson on his own isn't ready to lead the line for us and we don't really have the midfielder to play the ten role.

While we ain't Brighton I think the 442/4231 that they use with Welbeck and Ferguson recently or even Norwich when Pukki and Idah played together could be worth a shout.

I think between Idah, Parrott, Cannon and Ferguson, we have lads who can play as the front man in a 4-3-3, but a 4-2-3-1 is fine by me also. I just think we should be looking at a formation that doesnt involve 3 CBs. We need to be able to go out vs weak opposition and really take the game to them, press high and play with a high tempo. I agree we are short in the #10 position and have been for years but either one of Smallbone/Azaz offers a chink of light in that regard. I think one of the bigger problems with playing a 4 is our lack of genuine full backs as opposed to wing backs.
Idah Dream!
84ccfc84 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84ccfc84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 5:55pm
yeah SK needs to move to 4 at the back v poorer sides. no excuses to stick with the 5 added to the fact its latvia. 5 at the back is the 'best' way to stifle mbappe though so ive no real issue with it being used v france. time to mix things up tactically and personnel wise SK, show us something. 
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by 84ccfc84 84ccfc84 wrote:

yeah SK needs to move to 4 at the back v poorer sides. no excuses to stick with the 5 added to the fact its latvia. 5 at the back is the 'best' way to stifle mbappe though so ive no real issue with it being used v france. time to mix things up tactically and personnel wise SK, show us something. 

Absolutely think we should stick with the 5 at the back vs stronger opposition, it's worked reasonably well for the most part and we do have a lot of excellent young CB's coming through (has to be the GAA breeding). 

However SK has to be brave now if he is to have any chance of keeping his job. The Latvia result does not matter, nor should it. It's time to show a bit of balls and mix things up, we need to see what else we have to work with and develop another system of play. He tried mixing it up and going 5-2-3 a few times, but it was a disaster, didnt work at all. Stick with the 5-3-2 vs the better teams and have a 4-3-3 or a 4-2-3-1 in the pocket to use vs the weaker teams.
Idah Dream!
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 6:19pm
Gotta admit I'd not be anticipating a switch to a back 4 v Latvia.
Nor a plethora of new faces.

That last window soured me on Kenny's decision-making and even his ambition.
We had Browne, Robinson and Cullen start both games.
Why?  What were we going to learn?
We played three CBs versus Malta.
MALTA FFS!
McLean started v Malta also...to learn what?
Hendrick came on as a sub...unbelievable.

It was a very frustrating time and it looked like a manager desperate to keep his job.  Risk-averse.
What has changed between then and now?
Nothing that tells me he'll behave any different in this window, or treat Latvia as a test-bed for a new (old) formation or new players.

I hate to pick on Hourihane but the lad fooked us bad v Armenia.
No idea why he was introduced, and his performance could have cost Kenny his job.
If he's named then it shows us Kenny has learned nothing.

I like McGrath but not sure he has done anything like enough to warrant a call-up.

I wish we didn't have to dip into L1 for players but if we are, it's to pick one or two who have potential futures at higher levels - Knight and Azaz are the two there.
Cashin also, but we're stacked at CB.

Overall I have the fear growing as we approach these matches.
I can't see past a turgid win over Latvia and then a battling but ultimately conclusive loss to France.

Look, maybe young Evan wil light up Landsdown...of what a night that would be so we live in hope Shocked
What else is there.

Edited by Fozz - 28 Feb 2023 at 6:20pm
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Gotta admit I'd not be anticipating a switch to a back 4 v Latvia.
Nor a plethora of new faces.

That last window soured me on Kenny's decision-making and even his ambition.
We had Browne, Robinson and Cullen start both games.
Why?  What were we going to learn?
We played three CBs versus Malta.
MALTA FFS!
McLean started v Malta also...to learn what?
Hendrick came on as a sub...unbelievable.

It was a very frustrating time and it looked like a manager desperate to keep his job.  Risk-averse.
What has changed between then and now?
Nothing that tells me he'll behave any different in this window, or treat Latvia as a test-bed for a new (old) formation or new players.

I hate to pick on Hourihane but the lad fooked us bad v Armenia.
No idea why he was introduced, and his performance could have cost Kenny his job.
If he's named then it shows us Kenny has learned nothing.

I like McGrath but not sure he has done anything like enough to warrant a call-up.

I wish we didn't have to dip into L1 for players but if we are, it's to pick one or two who have potential futures at higher levels - Knight and Azaz are the two there.
Cashin also, but we're stacked at CB.

Overall I have the fear growing as we approach these matches.
I can't see past a turgid win over Latvia and then a battling but ultimately conclusive loss to France.

Look, maybe young Evan wil light up Landsdown...of what a night that would be so we live in hope Shocked
What else is there.

I feel and share your pain, the Malta debacle almost did for me and my support for SK. Last chance saloon as far as I'm concerned. I dont need to see loads of new faces introduced, but I do want to see some of the fringe lads getting decent minutes vs Latvia and I'd like to see Coventry and Azaz in the squad, even if it means a 28 man squad, jsut get them in and get them involved.
Idah Dream!
84ccfc84 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84ccfc84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 6:33pm
agree with you Fozz. Malta turned me off SK completely. the last ounce of faith i had in him went out the window. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
  Share Topic