You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mark Sykes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2022 at 12:45pm
Reported to be in the squad. Not a surprise, Hendrick has been fine recently but we still need to strengthen that position and Sykes has been going very well for Oxford.

Glad to see after he switched from the North without any guarantees of anything from us, looks like it could work out for him.
Sponsored Links

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2022 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Reported to be in the squad. Not a surprise, Hendrick has been fine recently but we still need to strengthen that position and Sykes has been going very well for Oxford.

Glad to see after he switched from the North without any guarantees of anything from us, looks like it could work out for him.

In what other line of work, would an employer or someone in an authoritative position be allowed to interrogate someone about religious beliefs BTW? How on earth would a conversation about football matters go into a tangent about what denomination his girlfriend is? 

Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2022 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

In what other line of work, would an employer or someone in an authoritative position be allowed to interrogate someone about religious beliefs BTW? How on earth would a conversation about football matters go into a tangent about what denomination his girlfriend is? 

There is nothing in that article that remotely suggests Sykes was interrogated as to his partners religion. He is clearly quoted as him saying it.
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2022 at 1:35pm
The subject came up, it matters little who raised it and Sykes got his share of sectarian abuse from the usual knuckleheads for his decision. A couple of capped players, Liam Boyce and Michael Smith of Hearts, have since left the NI squad though their reasons have not been publicised. I hope Sykes gets and takes his chance, he's a top player.
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2022 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

The subject came up, it matters little who raised it and Sykes got his share of sectarian abuse from the usual knuckleheads for his decision. A couple of capped players, Liam Boyce and Michael Smith of Hearts, have since left the NI squad though their reasons have not been publicised. I hope Sykes gets and takes his chance, he's a top player.
Of course it matters who raised it when HH lays the blame at Barracloughs door based on that article when there is nothing in the article to suggest anything other than Sykes mentioning religion.

The actions of knuckledraggers is not what HH referenced. Of course religion should not be a factor. Nobody said it should.
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2022 at 2:03pm

The subject came up, it matters little who raised it and Sykes got his share of sectarian abuse from the usual knuckleheads for his decision. A couple of capped players, Liam Boyce and Michael Smith of Hearts, have since left the NI squad though their reasons have not been publicised.

"Michael Smith"?

Are you making an assumption there?

Ermm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2022 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Of course it matters who raised it when HH lays the blame at Barracloughs door based on that article when there is nothing in the article to suggest anything other than Sykes mentioning religion.

The actions of knuckledraggers is not what HH referenced. Of course religion should not be a factor. Nobody said it should.

I was expressing my bemusement at how Mark Sykes felt the need to justify declaring for RoI by using his partner's religious denomination as mitigation.

It shouldn't have come into the conversation at all. Yet it's a talking point virtually every single time.

MON and Baraclough have continuously brought players religious faiths into the conversation about this topic.

MON accused IRL of initiating contact with Paddy McNair because he has an Irish sounding name (there's no proof of this whatsoever, much like his assertion that the FAI tapped up the McEneff brothers). 

It's absurd just typing that out. Are Gibson, Wilson and Sykes Irish sounding names as well?

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 18 Mar 2022 at 2:34pm
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2022 at 2:31pm

I was expressing my bemusement at how Mark Sykes felt the need to justify declaring for RoI by using his wife's religious denomination as mitigation.

It shouldn't have come into the conversation at all. Yet it's a talking point virtually every single time.
This is what you posted…

In what other line of work, would an employer or someone in an authoritative position be allowed to interrogate someone about religious beliefs BTW?

Thats not expressing bemusement at Sykes feeling he had to say anything, its clearly stating that Barraclough interrogated him. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2022 at 2:37pm

I was expressing my bemusement at how Mark Sykes felt the need to justify declaring for RoI by using his wife's religious denomination as mitigation.

This is what you posted…

In what other line of work, would an employer or someone in an authoritative position be allowed to interrogate someone about religious beliefs BTW?

Thats not expressing bemusement at Sykes feeling he had to say anything, its clearly stating that Barraclough interrogated him. 

So you think Sykes brought his partner's religion up for no reason with no context? If that's what you think, fair enough but I beg to differ.

Especially given Baraclough's predecessor's obsession with discussing footballers religions.

And getting them wrong - Eunan O'Kane is a humanist.

Not that it should matter.

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 18 Mar 2022 at 2:38pm
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2022 at 2:43pm

MON accused IRL of initiating contact with Paddy McNair because he has an Irish sounding name (there's no proof of this whatsoever

I know for a fact from a friend who lived in Ballyclare at the time and who knows the family well, that the FAI did enquire about Paddy, before suddenly withdrawing.

He laughed out loud at the very thought of Paddy entertaining the approach.
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2022 at 2:43pm
I don’t know why Sykes felt the need because I wasn’t there and the article doesn’t say why he felt the need to. I could guess or form a non factual opinion just like you did though but I wouldnt come on here and state it as fact.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2022 at 2:46pm

I don’t know why Sykes felt the need because I wasn’t there and the article doesn’t say why he felt the need to. I could guess or form a non factual opinion just like you did though but I wouldnt come on here and state it as fact.

Not quite as bad as Terri's anecdote above then, which is clearly a figment of his imagination.

You'd swear there isn't a pattern of  players defecting to us who feel the need to explain their religious background has nothing to do with them declaring for us or something.

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 18 Mar 2022 at 2:52pm
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2022 at 3:24pm

This is what you posted…

So you think Sykes brought his partner's religion up for no reason with no context? If that's what you think, fair enough but I beg to differ.

Especially given Baraclough's predecessor's obsession with discussing footballers religions.

And getting them wrong - Eunan O'Kane is a humanist.

Not that it should matter.

I’d say he brought it up in relation to the abuse he got from NI fans after declaring for us.
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2022 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

MON accused IRL of initiating contact with Paddy McNair because he has an Irish sounding name (there's no proof of this whatsoever

I know for a fact from a friend who lived in Ballyclare at the time and who knows the family well, that the FAI did enquire about Paddy, before suddenly withdrawing.

He laughed out loud at the very thought of Paddy entertaining the approach.

He can laugh all he wants but we all know that Northern Ireland will no longer exist as an international side, maybe not within McNair's football career but probably his lifetime. 
amccarten313 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccarten313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2022 at 5:39am
interested to see if he gets a chance in one of these 2 games. oxford in a playoff spot just now but seems like, one way or another, he'll be playing at a higher level than league one come next season
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2022 at 8:09pm
Looks like he will be on the move this summer, possibly to Bristol City in the Championship going by these comments in the local paper in Oxford.

"Sykes is out of contract this summer and was this week linked with Sky Bet Championship club Bristol City.

When asked about the midfielder’s omission, Robinson said: “I think you know why.”

The U’s boss said in the week he would pick a team with next season in mind and Billy Bodin is the only player in the starting XI not currently contracted beyond this summer."
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2022 at 8:36pm
Good for him if he's getting a move (and for us if it goes well).
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2022 at 6:56am
Bristol City was one of the clubs who had him over when he was playing for Glenavon in the Irish League so he has been on their radar for some time.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic