You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mark McGuinness

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2022 at 10:05pm
Loan move for the season confirmed.
Sponsored Links

Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2022 at 7:22am
injured an will miss the under 21 internationals. Shame for him 
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2022 at 12:22pm
Blow for the 21s, and I'd assume Garcia McNulty would likely replace him in the squad.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2022 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Blow for the 21s, and I'd assume Garcia McNulty would likely replace him in the squad.

He wasn't in the squad for NAC's last game.
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2022 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

He wasn't in the squad for NAC's last game.
first of a three game suspension

Edited by tetsujin1979 - 18 Sep 2022 at 1:10pm
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2022 at 1:47pm
Think that pretty much rules out Crawford going with a back 3, will almost certainly be a back 4 with Cashin and O'Brien the CB pairing.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2022 at 1:57pm
We're very light at the back in this squad.

Have the just-turned 19 Roughan in there, who has never played at this level.
And Redmond also, who is older but also not played U21 before.
Not ideal looking down the barrel of the play-offs.

Assuming we go with the flat back-4, I guess O'Connor and Lyons would be the full-backs?
You are really not making the best use of Festy in such a situation, and seems doubtful he will start if we're a 4.

Am trying to work out who is missing.
McEntee is one.

Frrom the 19's, we've already called up Roughan so you'd be looking at maybe Garcia McNulty?
Or Sean Grehan?

J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2022 at 2:02pm
Yeah will likely be O'Brien and Cashin. Have never been convinced by O'Brien but couldn't see him going with Redmond and Cashin as his CBs.

Think the chances of seeing three at the back are probably still the same even without McGuinness. Probably would have only used it in the away game as a tactical switch like Sweden away.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2022 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

We're very light at the back in this squad.

Have the just-turned 19 Roughan in there, who has never played at this level.
And Redmond also, who is older but also not played U21 before.
Not ideal looking down the barrel of the play-offs.

Assuming we go with the flat back-4, I guess O'Connor and Lyons would be the full-backs?
You are really not making the best use of Festy in such a situation, and seems doubtful he will start if we're a 4.

Am trying to work out who is missing.
McEntee is one.

Frrom the 19's, we've already called up Roughan so you'd be looking at maybe Garcia McNulty?
Or Sean Grehan?

McEntee only returned to training this week. Think he's been out since the injury picked up in our first game in June.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2022 at 2:42pm
David Okagbue and Bosun Lawal are two other 2003 born defenders but couldn't see him going with Lawal who played a couple of games as a midfielder for the U21s last year during the summer training camp.

Sean Grehan is 2004 born so can't see Crawford pulling him from the U19s to act as cover for the squad. Garcia McNulty is likely to be the one called up if available. Has been a part of the U21s squad last year and only dropped back down to the U19s because Crawford said it was better for him to be playing games.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2023 at 12:14pm
Recalled by Cardiff having been one of the standout players in L1 for Sheffield Weds. Was crazy they let him go on loan in the first place considering he was arguably Cardiff's best player last year.

Edited by The O'Shea - 06 Jan 2023 at 12:14pm
We're decent enough..
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2023 at 12:29pm
Sheffield Weds fans clearly very disappointed to see him leave, and they're not the most easily pleased bunch. FWIW while we're well stocked with centre backs I'd see McGuinness as being a genuine contender for senior caps for us in the near future, he's a big unit but he's comfortable on the ball as well and he's improving year on year.

I think his ceiling is probably higher than the likes of Dunne, Lenihan or Scales, who have all had callups in the last year. It might even be as high or higher than someone like Dara O'Shea who is a fairly regular starter for us at the moment. Definitely someone I'd like to see integrated into the seniors now that he's overage for the Under 21s, not least because we're not his only international option.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2023 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Sheffield Weds fans clearly very disappointed to see him leave, and they're not the most easily pleased bunch. FWIW while we're well stocked with centre backs I'd see McGuinness as being a genuine contender for senior caps for us in the near future, he's a big unit but he's comfortable on the ball as well and he's improving year on year.

I think his ceiling is probably higher than the likes of Dunne, Lenihan or Scales, who have all had callups in the last year. It might even be as high or higher than someone like Dara O'Shea who is a fairly regular starter for us at the moment. Definitely someone I'd like to see integrated into the seniors now that he's overage for the Under 21s, not least because we're not his only international option.
Ah I agree with Scales and Dunne is debatable but Lenihan has been one of the Championship's best defenders for several seasons now and was linked with PL clubs before moving to Middlesbrough. O'Shea has played PL football and has consistently performed at the upper end of the Championship. McGuinness has had one average enough season in the Championship in a poor enough Cardiff team and they were happy to send him out on loan this season. I'd say his most realistic avenue for International football is going to be NI. Think Wednesday want Luke McNally as a replacement for McGuinness. Could see McNally eventually overtaking him as well.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2023 at 1:08pm

Eiran Cashin says hello, excellent left footed prospect, developing really well at Derby, top Whoscored rating of all players in League One after 20 plus games this season. 

Also really dont agree re your O'Shea shout. Dara is club captain at WBA at 23, has already got decent PL experience and imo he has been one of our better players at international level in the last year. 2 goals and an assist also for a WBA side on a very good run of form currently. Top rated Irish CB in the Chship this season with a Whoscored rating of 6.95 (32nd of 358 players in the Championship), Egan just behind him on 6.94. Not alone is Dara a good defender, he's also a good footballer and seems to be a model pro.

Mc Guinness looks a big powerful unit, but he isnt the most cultured imo, more Duffy than Omobamidele (who could be the best of the lot if he can only stay fit). He's probably about 7th or 8th in the pecking order at best tbh Collins, O'Shea, Egan, Omobamidele, Duffy (if he gets regular Chship football) are all comfortably ahead of him so he's in that bracket with Cashin, Dunne, Scales, Lenihan, even O'Hora and Mc Loughlin - he has plenty to prove yet and I dont see him forcing his way in to the squad during the upcoming campaign. Dont get me wrong here, he's doing very well for a young CB, fair play to the lad, but he has a fair way to go to trouble the likes of O'Shea imo.

Anyway, we certainly have a great range of options at CB, if only we had similar in midfield!
Idah Dream!
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2023 at 1:15pm
Strange they are recalling him but are also letting him play this weekends cup game for Sheffield Wednesday so will be cup tied if Cardiff beat Leeds at home.

Curtis Nelson is leaving who was fourth choice CB and Cardiff's first choice RB is out for 4 to 6 weeks which could see Perry Ng moving from CB to RB if needed.

Hopefully he's not just gonna sit on the bench as he's been having a good season with Sheffield Wednesday.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2023 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Eiran Cashin says hello, excellent left footed prospect, developing really well at Derby, top Whoscored rating of all players in League One after 20 plus games this season. 

Also really dont agree re your O'Shea shout. Dara is club captain at WBA at 23, has already got decent PL experience and imo he has been one of our better players at international level in the last year. 2 goals and an assist also for a WBA side on a very good run of form currently. Top rated Irish CB in the Chship this season with a Whoscored rating of 6.95 (32nd of 358 players in the Championship), Egan just behind him on 6.94. Not alone is Dara a good defender, he's also a good footballer and seems to be a model pro.

Mc Guinness looks a big powerful unit, but he isnt the most cultured imo, more Duffy than Omobamidele (who could be the best of the lot if he can only stay fit). He's probably about 7th or 8th in the pecking order at best tbh Collins, O'Shea, Egan, Omobamidele, Duffy (if he gets regular Chship football) are all comfortably ahead of him so he's in that bracket with Cashin, Dunne, Scales, Lenihan, even O'Hora and Mc Loughlin - he has plenty to prove yet and I dont see him forcing his way in to the squad during the upcoming campaign. Dont get me wrong here, he's doing very well for a young CB, fair play to the lad, but he has a fair way to go to trouble the likes of O'Shea imo.

Anyway, we certainly have a great range of options at CB, if only we had similar in midfield!

McGuinness definitely isn't more in the Duffy mould, he's exactly the same type of ball playing centre back as O'Shea and Omobamidele are, albeit quite a bit bigger. I would say after the aforementioned and obviously Collins, he's by a distance the highest potential young centre back we have. If we're going to be playing 5 at the back, he'll be needed in future.
We're decent enough..
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2023 at 3:38pm
He can play all right, he grew up at Arsenal where they encourage that type of thing and Mick McCarthy signed him for Cardiff on the basis of what he had seen of him in the Ireland under-21s. Who knows at this stage how high he can go but better playing Championship football than League One.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2023 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Sean McLoughlin and Darragh Lenihan playing regularly in the Championship and ranked second overall for their clubs on WhoScored. Ryan Manning ranked first and he can play CB in a three. As you say, Eiran Cashin arguably ahead of him also. And that's not even mentioning Coleman! McGuinness is miles off being anywhere near a squad but it says more about our strength in depth than anything. 

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 06 Jan 2023 at 4:25pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic