You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mark McGuinness

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

Commentator on Sky claimed they played five centre backs. Bagan one of the players dropped from previous game. Callum Robinson very good for West Brom again.
Bring back McCarthy😩
Sponsored Links

J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

Commentator on Sky claimed they played five centre backs. Bagan one of the players dropped from previous game. Callum Robinson very good for West Brom again.

Yeah one tweet said Cardiff had every senior CB starting tonight. Fans not happy with Mick.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2021 at 7:40pm
Himself and Bagan start tonight, Collins on the bench in what could be the last game of Mick's tenure
Idah Dream!
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2021 at 4:33pm
Scored today against Preston.
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2021 at 4:58pm
Scored again today in the defeat to Sheff Utd.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2021 at 5:35pm
Has scored more goals for Cardiff this season than James Collins has while, by all accounts, developing nicely as a centre back at the same time as well. He is overshadowed a bit by the other three young Irish centre backs that have all won senior caps but is doing well in the Championship and is well worth keeping an eye on.
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2021 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Has scored more goals for Cardiff this season than James Collins has while, by all accounts, developing nicely as a centre back at the same time as well. He is overshadowed a bit by the other three young Irish centre backs that have all won senior caps but is doing well in the Championship and is well worth keeping an eye on.

Good player. Really feel he will come good. Hopefully himself and Dunne become real options for March. 
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2021 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

Good player. Really feel he will come good. Hopefully himself and Dunne become real options for March. 

How many CBs are the senior team going to need in March?
There's at least 8 ahead of those 2 lads. Not to mention the U21s have a crucial game away vs Sweden and will need McGuinness (having already lost Collins & Omobamidele).
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2021 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by Greenie50 Greenie50 wrote:

Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

How many CBs are the senior team going to need in March?
There's at least 8 ahead of those 2 lads. Not to mention the U21s have a crucial game away vs Sweden and will need McGuinness (having already lost Collins & Omobamidele).

Five I'd say,and it's probably gonna be the five that were originally named in September: Duffy, Egan, O'Shea, Omobamidele, and Collins.

There isn't going to be mass call ups of new lads in March and CB isn't really a position we'd need to try out lads. If someone is injured can see Darragh Lenihan being the one called up.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 4:54pm
Scores to make it 2-2 in injury time
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2022 at 12:24am
Cardiff lads rated for their performances so far this season.

McGuinness one of their better performers; Bagan and Collins need to do more.

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2022 at 1:04am
McGuinness will go a long way in the game I think. A big physical player but improving on the ball all the time as well. There's a bit of Nathan Collins about him and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him in the Premier League within a few years. 

Will be interesting to see how we accommodate all these centre backs, would NI come looking for McGuinness in the future if he finds himself behind Duffy, Egan, Lenihan, Omobamidele, O'Shea and Collins in our setup? Even the older three of those could be around for another five years yet.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2022 at 1:40am

McGuinness will go a long way in the game I think. A big physical player but improving on the ball all the time as well. There's a bit of Nathan Collins about him and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him in the Premier League within a few years. 

Will be interesting to see how we accommodate all these centre backs, would NI come looking for McGuinness in the future if he finds himself behind Duffy, Egan, Lenihan, Omobamidele, O'Shea and Collins in our setup? Even the older three of those could be around for another five years yet.

There's definitely a pathway there. McAuley's retired. Evans and Cathcart are well into their thirties. The rest of their options aren't anything to fear from his standpoint (he's ahead of Brown at club level).

That could definitely become an option for him. On the one hand, he's good enough to potentially play for us and is very young for a defender so he has time on his side. On the other hand, we have several other similarly-aged and higher profile players competing in the same position whereas, if he declared for them, he'd go straight into their squad and wouldn't be far off the first team. 

And it's not like the McIlroy or Sanchez eras where there's a massive gap in standards between the two sides. 

If people like Magilton, MON or Baraclough were twisting his ear they could give him the hard sell of a potential 100 caps and flagbearer status.

Who knows. Maybe he has no interest in NI. Maybe he just wants to play international football.

Either way, his career trajectory is soaring upwards since a mediocre loan spell at Ipswich so any decision he makes won't be one of desperation in the mould of Alex Bruce, Josh Daniels or Sean Scannell.
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2022 at 9:17am

Given that breadth of options, the hope would be that his sticks with us and challenges to make squads and teams for major tournaments. And you could also add Jimmy Dunne to that list as a competitor to McGuiness and he also qualifies for NI. All in all, it's a good problem for us to have. 

Also, with a name like McGuiness and a father from Derry and his first urge being towards ROI rather than NI, you'd hope that this should not need to concern us.
darman28 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darman28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2022 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Cardiff lads rated for their performances so far this season.

McGuinness one of their better performers; Bagan and Collins need to do more.

Bagan has been out with a shoulder injury for over two months now. Just back on the bench today.
Hopedully he can kick on, get starting regular and put in some good performances, still only 20.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2022 at 3:42pm
Bagan potentially going out on loan. The new management rate him but don't think he's ready for the first team yet.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2022 at 12:57pm
McGuinness reported to be going on loan to Sheffield Wednesday as he has lost his first team place at Cardiff. Seems like a good signing for a League 1 team.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2022 at 1:21pm
Should be a decent move for him as Wednesday play three at the back. Get another year of experience under his belt and return back to Cardiff.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic