You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mark Kennedy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2010 at 4:52am
Excellent signing for Ipswich. Kennedy has always been a championship quality player, but little more.

Delighted for the lad that he's still earning a decent living from the game. If only he'd grown a brain earlier in his football career.
Sponsored Links

Propagandhi® View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi® Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 10:28am
New full-back Mark Kennedy says the chance of working with Roy Keane and good past experiences at Portman Road were behind his decision to join the Blues. The 34-year-old Irishman was paraded at a press conference on Thursday along with fellow new signing Márton Fülöp, having signed a two-year contract last week after Town and Cardiff had agreed a £75,000 fee.

Kennedy won many of his 34 Republic of Ireland caps alongside Keane and says that playing for his old team-mate was part of the lure of Town: “First and foremost the opportunity for me to work under Roy as a manager was of huge importance.

“The club speaks for itself and its history speaks for itself, but having the chance to come and work with Roy at the stage I’m at in my career is good opportunity.

“But it’s important to stress that it’s not just about coming to play for Roy but coming to play for Ipswich Town as well.”

The former Millwall, Liverpool, Manchester City and Wolves man says he is well aware of the intensity surrounding his new boss: “I’ve only been here a week and I know everybody is absolutely fascinated with Roy Keane, but he’s an everyday guy like everyone else. He’s a winner, a leader, he wants to be successful and that’s why he’s here and I’m no different.”

Kennedy says he has always enjoyed his trips to Ipswich with his previous clubs: “I’m not going to give you any bull because there are plenty of places I hated going for different reasons, but it’s a place I always enjoyed going. The pitch is always fantastic, the atmosphere’s great. I’ve had a couple of decent results here as well, which was enjoyable!

“It’s certainly one of the grounds you look forward to coming to, you’re aware it’s always a good game of football, Ipswich are renowned for playing attractive football.”

And so far he has been impressed with his new team-mates: “We played Bury and we played West Ham, a full strength team, on Saturday. We created a lot of chances, it looks like we’ve got great energy in the team, certainly there’s fantastic quality and, while I can’t speak for the manager, I’m sure he’ll be keen to maybe bring in a couple more faces to add strength and depth to the squad.

“But so far, from what I’ve seen – and from when I played against Ipswich last year with Cardiff - there’s a lot of potential there.”

The Dubliner thanked Cardiff boss Dave Jones for allowing him to make the move: “The gaffer at Cardiff was honest enough call me in and tell me there had been interest and that the ball was in my court.

“I can’t thank him enough for giving me the opportunity to work with him at Cardiff – I also worked with him at Wolves - but being kind enough also to give me the opportunity to come to Ipswich, which was something I wanted to do.

“When he spoke to me about it I told him I’d be really keen to do something with Ipswich and I’m incredibly grateful to Dave for that.”

Despite leaping at the chance of joining Town, Kennedy says he was very happy with the Bluebirds: “Cardiff was a fantastic club. I had two great years there and had a fantastic rapport with the manager, the players and the fans.

“It’s a fantastic club and I can highly recommend it to anybody, but the flip side of the coin is that this was something which really, really interested me.”

Kennedy, who recalls some talk of him possibly joining the Blues from Manchester City back in George Burley’s time as manager, says he will look to help Town’s younger players progress: “I’ve had a half-decent career and it’s something I’m incredibly grateful for.

“If I can pass that on to younger lads and try and explain to them what you can achieve, the goals you can have, the enjoyment you get out of it, I will. It’s the best job in the world, I’m sure you’ve heard Roy saying that a few times, he still says it to us now.

“It’s something you shouldn’t take for granted. I’m into my 19th year as a pro and long may it continue.”

Supporters have noted the left-back’s vocal encouragement of his team-mates in his two friendlies with the Blues so far, something he says has developed with age: “I wasn’t really a talker when I was younger, you get stuff like that with experience.

“You get to read the game a little bit better and if I can help anybody out, like I was helped by players in my career, that’s part and parcel of being an older pro at a club. You don’t need a captain’s armband to be leader and we want 11 leaders on the pitch.”

The 5ft 11in tall former winger says fans oughtn’t to be concerned about his age: “I’m 34-years-old, I’ve played a lot of games in my career, played a lot of games for Cardiff week-in, week-out and the Championship is a demanding league. If I felt I couldn’t do it, then I wouldn’t be here.

“I want to prove to people I’m good player. I’ve still got ambitions and goals and if I felt I couldn’t achieve them or be a positive influence on other people, I would have retired.”

As for his debut at the Riverside today, Kennedy says Town have to get points from fancied sides like Boro if they themselves are to be contenders: “It’s 46 games and if you want to get promoted you have to get results at places like Middlesbrough.”

Overall, he is optimistic for the first of his two years with the Blues: “I’m hopeful for a very positive and successful season.”

Edited by Propagandhi® - 09 Aug 2010 at 10:29am
The Count View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Count Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 3:39pm
great bloke Clap
Propagandhi® View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi® Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2010 at 12:25pm

Mark Kennedy backs Roy Keane to match Dave Jones

Mark%20Kennedy%20played%2036%20league%20and%20cup%20games%20for%20Cardiff%20last%20season
Mark Kennedy played 36 league and cup games for Cardiff last season

Ipswich Town defender Mark Kennedy says boss Roy Keane can match the achievements of Dave Jones.

Kennedy played under Jones last season for Cardiff before switching to Portman Road in the summer, and will come up against his old club on Saturday.

The 34-year-old told BBC Radio Suffolk: "Dave's been in the game for a lot longer and is proven at every level.

"But we've got a very successful manager here as well and we're continuing to improve on that."

The Irishman spent two campaigns with the Bluebirds and was part of the side that suffered Wembley heartache in the Championship play-offs last season.

Keane brought him to Ipswich in July but the left-back departed Wales on good terms with Jones

"Every manager's different, he's different to our gaffer here but both are very successful," he said.

"Certain things work for different people. Dave certainly brings the best out of people.

"It surprises me he hasn't found himself back in the Premier League, maybe he's turned a few things down but he's a quality manager and tried and trusted."

The prospect of playing against your old club can be a tense affair for many players, but Kennedy feels he is experienced enough to take it in his stride.

"I hate using clichés but they're all important as each other, it doesn't matter who you play you can only get the same amount of points," he said.

"The most important thing is we improve on the poor performance on Tuesday [3-0 defeat by QPR] and get the three points."

Ireland4ever View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ireland4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2012 at 1:28pm
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/mobile/football/17773205?SThisFB

Announced his retirement. Good luck with the coaching. ClapClap
Ireland4ever View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ireland4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2012 at 1:30pm

Edited by Ireland4ever - 20 Apr 2012 at 1:31pm
Boston Hoop View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boston Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2012 at 1:57pm
Could be a frustrating player but he was a good servant and that goal against Yugoslavia was a cracker. My Dad sitting beside me saying "don't shoot" just before he did made it even better! Laughing and celebrating all at the same time!
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2012 at 2:03pm
I remember that. Great match. Robbie scored a lovely goal too.
darman28 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darman28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2012 at 4:00pm
Once the most expensive teenager in the english premiership wasn't he? Agree he was a frusturting player but has some great moments in a green shirt, personally thought he could have done more with his talent tho.great to hear he's getting into coaching & hope it works out well for him
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2012 at 4:07pm
probably should have done more. Don't think his head was fully in it until he got a bit older and his talent was not what it could have been. But seems to be a really great pro the last number of years. Thinking to the time when Cardiff had just beaten Leicister on penos in the play off semi final and rather than run to his team mates and celebrate he ran to the lad who had just messed up the spot kick and picked him up off the ground. Was pure class
The Count View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Count Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2012 at 4:22pm
great bloke Thumbs Up
smart man View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la
Not so.......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smart man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 9:27pm
Was a good pro saw him score six goals for Millwall in a pre season friendly at Flancare Park.
alive and kicking
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2016 at 4:02pm
Has moved from Ipswich to Man City's academy as a coach

smart man View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la
Not so.......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smart man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2016 at 12:45pm
That seems a good move career move and good few steps up the ladder. 
alive and kicking
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 12:26am
Mark is the new head coach at Macclesfield.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2022 at 5:53pm
Has been appointed manager of Lincoln.
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2022 at 7:31pm
Good luck to him
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2022 at 7:51pm
Tough job to take on. While the wheels came off a little bit this season Michael Appleton massively overachieved by getting Lincoln to the League 1 playoff final on their budget. So if that's the level that expectations are set at he'll have to do very well to match what Appleton did there.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic