You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Marc Wilson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 67>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi® Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Marc Wilson
    Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 10:05am

Albion were today finalising their latest transfer deals as Portsmouth utility man Marc Wilson emerged as a possible target.

Villa full-back Nicky Shorey was expected to complete his move to the Hawthorns for £1million today, after passing a medical at the weekend.

And Cameroon international Somen Tchoyi is expected in England tomorrow or on Wednesday to wrap up his £1.5million switch from Austrian side Red Bull Salzburg.

Now Wilson has emerged as a potential target as transfer activity hots up in the final week before the Premier League season kicks off.

But a deal for the Irishman is currently a long way off, with the clubs poles apart in their valuations of the player.

The 22-year-old was watched by the Baggies last season and is seen as a potential candidate to add competition for defensive midfield roles in Roberto Di Matteo’s side.

Wilson can also operate at full-back or in central defence, but his best Pompey performances have come in his favoured holding midfield role.

With Di Matteo looking likely to field two defensive midfield men this season, he is seeking competition for Youssouf Mulumbu and Steven Reid.

Chris Brunt has also operated in a deep-lying central role alongside Mulumbu for much of the pre-season campaign and Di Matteo could repeat the experiment in the Premier League.

The Italian is also delighted to be adding former England left-back Shorey to his squad.

He said: “Nicky will increase competition for place. He’s composed on the ball and a good defender.

“It will also be nice to add some Premier League experience to the squad, because we are a young team.

“Nicky knows what it takes to play at the highest level. He has completed a medical and we are hopeful he will become one of our players.

“Other names being linked with us are just speculation at the moment, so there’s nothing to say.”

Edited by Propagandhi® - 09 Sep 2010 at 10:17am
Sponsored Links

The Saint View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Saint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 10:13am
thought a bigger club would come in for him but i suppose anyone's better than portsmouth at the moment
Justice No. 1 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Justice No. 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 10:19am
Originally posted by The Saint The Saint wrote:

thought a bigger club would come in for him but i suppose anyone's better than portsmouth at the moment
Firstly he spells his name with a C and secondly he's rubbish. Two good reasons as any as why to no one is interested
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 10:26am
West Brom are a serious yo yo club,

Portsmouth will want about 3-4 million so I doubt they will pay this. 
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Justice No. 1 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Justice No. 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 10:29am
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

West Brom are a serious yo yo club,

Portsmouth will want about 3-4 million so I doubt they will pay this. 
Turkish Lira
wrestler313 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrestler313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 10:37am
tbh i don't really rate him, but who knows. either way don't think west brom is the right place to go he'll be right back in the championship
grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 10:42am
Don't rate him as a defender but he is a decent enough defensive midfielder. Would like to see him in the Premiership.
stiffler View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by Justice No. 1 Justice No. 1 wrote:

Firstly he spells his name with a C and secondly he's rubbish. Two good reasons as any as why to no one is interested
You must be some player yourself!

Marc has impressed every single time he has played central midfield for Pompey, I think he has the potential to become a regular in the Irish midfield for years to come.

Belfast Green View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Belfast Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 12:33pm

Confused

I hope his grammer is better than your own Embarrassed
stiffler View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 4:21pm
Sky sports man on the match tonight, in addition to man of the match at the weekend.

Great start to the season Marc, keep it up Clap
davekoolhill View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davekoolhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 4:22pm
God I think Marc Wilson will be in the premiership very soon. He is quality and he can play in several positions. 
Twitter: DaveOGrady1
tonyjaa View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

WATP 55 not out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyjaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2010 at 5:55am
he looked very very composed on monday nite for his motm
Steve Amsterdam View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I love buses

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Amsterdam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2010 at 5:58am
Good to see him back in the EPL. I do think that West Brom will be going straight down again though, but at least another year of toptier football for him. Good for his experience.
Molly Malone's pub- The home of YBIG in Amsterdam!
baddler View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2010 at 6:23am

Jaysus why the hate? Confused

He's a decent young player (from what i've seen anyway) who's attracting the interest of a premier league club, can only be good for us as far as I'm concerned. 
Not to mention the fact that he could actually cover 2 (if not 3) problem positions for us
tonyjaa View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

WATP 55 not out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyjaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2010 at 6:59am
Steve Amsterdam , hes not got back to the prem yet   
Steve Amsterdam View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I love buses

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Amsterdam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2010 at 7:05am
Originally posted by tonyjaa tonyjaa wrote:

Steve Amsterdam , hes not got back to the prem yet   
He hasn't signed for WestBrom in the end/yet?Confused I was assuming it would all be a done deal by now LOL
Molly Malone's pub- The home of YBIG in Amsterdam!
Propagandhi® View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi® Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2010 at 10:52am

Steve Cotterill insists he does not want to sell Marc Wilson after rejecting West Bromwich Albion's offer for the Portsmouth captain.

Skysports.com revealed last weekend that West Brom had lined up a move for Wilson ahead of the new Premier League season.

Wilson, who can play in defence and midfield, impressed despite Pompey's troubled last campaign and has been linked with several clubs in the top flight.

Fulham, Newcastle United and Sunderland are all reported to be admirers of Wilson, but West Brom have tried to steal a march on their rivals.

However, a £2million bid has been turned down and Pompey boss Cotterill does not want to lose Wilson, who turns 23 next week.

"To be honest we would not want to sell Marc Wilson," Cotterill told The News.

"There is no way, absolutely no way we want Marc Wilson to leave.

"I think he is going to be a great player, a massive player and I want to work with him here.

"I am surprised at the bid, it's an unwelcome distraction."

the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
6 in a row, alive alive oh..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2010 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by Belfast Green Belfast Green wrote:

Confused

I hope his grammer is better than your own Embarrassed

Ya might want to check that ladWink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 67>
  Share Topic