You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Man v Ocean

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Il Principe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Man v Ocean
    Posted: 07 Dec 2023 at 5:41pm
This available anywhere?

Missed it last night

Not on player and can't see repeats
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2023 at 6:09pm
have it recorded. Went to a talk by him in donegal town. An extremely interesting but very intense character
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2023 at 6:20pm
I’d suggest listening to any podcasts he did about it instead. Seemed like they skipped past a lot of it. They left out a lot of the stuff he said about seeing Farrell again. Understandable with it being an hour but a lot of good stuff overlooked.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2023 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

have it recorded. Went to a talk by him in donegal town. An extremely interesting but very intense character

I know the lad.  Nice fella but think he is doing too many of these challenges. This wasn't a one off.  He has a wife and baby to think about.  Some of these ideas are ridiculously life threatening,  He wanted to climb Everest a few years ago and think he may have started it but got covid shortly after going up some of the mountain.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2023 at 7:00pm
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Il Principe View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Il Principe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2023 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Is this it?

that's it, thanks horse Clap
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2023 at 10:09pm
Decent watch.

Some strength of character for that task. 
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2023 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

I know the lad.  Nice fella but think he is doing too many of these challenges. This wasn't a one off.  He has a wife and baby to think about.  Some of these ideas are ridiculously life threatening,  He wanted to climb Everest a few years ago and think he may have started it but got covid shortly after going up some of the mountain.
Yeah he talked about Everest at that talk. The wife had just given birth and he went off on that expedition 
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2023 at 4:47am
The baby 4 days old and he f*cks off to Everest LOL

Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2023 at 8:14am
Everest isn’t a particularly technically  challenging climb as long as you are fit which is why rich tourists attempt it 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2023 at 8:33am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

The baby 4 days old and he f*cks off to Everest LOL

He's training for months at this lark in Galway and the wife and baby at home in Brisbane LOL

And then another 3 months at sea 

Edited by horsebox - 08 Dec 2023 at 8:33am
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2023 at 8:57am
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Everest isn’t a particularly technically  challenging climb as long as you are fit which is why rich tourists attempt it 

I’m assuming you’re just talking about the lads that hit the base camp etc 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2023 at 9:17am
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Yer most people can get to base camp which is around 5200 mts .

It takes 30 days if you walk from the start  up and down ,the first ten days you go up and down hills so most fly to ( something like leh but it's not ) which takes the first ten days off it but you arrive at 3000 so in the death zone . 
No didn't do Everest bases camp spoke  to a good crew who did  I and Mrs Claret  did couple of other base camps on two different trips and got up to 4200 which was the top of the peak on Lantang mountain wearing runners . 
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2023 at 10:17am

No to get to the top you dont really need to be climber  - as it doesnt require much technical climbing ability you just need plenty of £££££££££££££££, and be pretty fit 

other lower mountains eg K2 require much more technical climbing ability and isnt called the widowmaker for nothing 
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2023 at 10:26am

No to get to the top you dont really need to be climber  - as it doesnt require much technical climbing ability you just need plenty of £££££££££££££££, and be pretty fit 

other lower mountains eg K2 require much more technical climbing ability and isnt called the widowmaker for nothing 
Thats ridiculous, of course you do. Maybe not the levels you need for certain summits but you need vast experience with equipment, lines, techniques, etc, etc, etc. Anyone one that has money still has years experience with climbing. Its not "are you fit? OK, way on you go."

You're putting other lives at risk if you don't know what you're at.
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2023 at 11:01am
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

Thats ridiculous, of course you do. Maybe not the levels you need for certain summits but you need vast experience with equipment, lines, techniques, etc, etc, etc. Anyone one that has money still has years experience with climbing. Its not "are you fit? OK, way on you go."

You're putting other lives at risk if you don't know what you're at.

probably should have added 'much of a climber' Yes you need to have some mountainerring experience but its not a technical difficult climb , there are ladders ropes etc on the route , if you have prepared right and gauge the weather right its pretty straightforward
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2023 at 11:01am

Not sure I’d agree with that LOL a walk in the park like 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2023 at 11:02am

Not sure I’d agree with that LOL a walk in the park like 

see above 'much of a climber' Smile there are plenty of fatalites due to inexperience , summit fever etc freak weather 

Edited by Newryrep - 08 Dec 2023 at 11:03am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic