Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Manchester Utd Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 11501151115211531154 1770>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Poor Man's Duncan Castles

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siralex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 8:40am

Very good start to the season. This is a an updated version of a Mourinho team. Absolutely stingey at the back and great at nicking goals in the first half of games. He’s been doing that consistently since 2003 as a manager. But this United team are modified from other teams he’s managed. It’s clear he’s noticed the penchant for Premier League managers to retain possession, starting at the back and has addressed this with a brilliant high press in the final third of the pitch. The United players work their bollocks off (especially the midfield three) and we are seeing - literally - the results of this hard work. 

This is coupled with a great defensive strategy (I always have faith in United’s defence when Jones is playing, though how long he can stave off another injury is anyone’s guess)…while in the attacking third, everybody seems to be firing; Lukaku, Martial, Rashford, Miki and Mata are all playing well - helped by pressure being laid on them by such a massive squad. Anyone can takes anyones place in that squad.

So, all in all, a very good start to the campaign. We couldn't have asked for more.

But nothing is set in stone yet and the players have to keep this consistency for another 7-months, especially given the fact that I think this Manchester City team is the best Manchester City team I’ve ever seen.

City are a better side than United, in my opinion, right now. I did pick them to pip United to the title at the start of the season, and if I was to put money on a team now to win it, I’d still plump for City. On their day, City can destroy any team. United are great going forward, but City are slicker. Their movement is insane - and it has ‘Pep’ written all over it. For me, in single games, they have advantage over United. They are likely to score more goals and likely to dictate more games - certainly possession and tempo.

However, I wouldn’t rule United out of winning title number 21. Where United have advantage, in my opinion, over City is the fact that I think they can see games out better than City. In these tight away games such as going to Bournemouth or West Brom or (insert about 8 different team names here) - where City/United may be 1-0 up after a tight opening hour but the pressure is being turned up by a home team with nothing to lose - these are the types of games I can see United seeing out, more than I can see City seeing them out. And there’ll be lots of those games to come. And winning those games will be key to whoever wins the title. 

City are a better footballing side and look a lot slicker than United.

United are a much more pragmatic side.

One of those traits will win one of those sides the EPL title this year. The way it’s going so far, you'd have to say that City are avoiding those ‘tight’ games that they’d have to be pragmatic in, and if they continue that - they’ll be champions. Of course, there are other teams that can’t be ruled out…but I see it as a Manchester title race this year, I really do.

What I love about United’s start is that they are winning games they couldn’t win all the time last year.

We are standing on the necks of teams in the final 10-minutes of games and not letting them rest. This is in total contrast to last season where for the final ten minutes we were all sh*tting it as United fans. We are beating these ‘mid-table’ teams with ease, something we haven’t done since the last season of Sir Alex. People go on and on about ‘United haven’t played anyone yet’ - that is - as I’m sure most of you know - utter garbage. It’s beating the likes of Everton/Leicester/Swansea that gets you point in this league There are a lot more Evertons and Swanseas in the EPLthan there are Man Citys. You have to win these games. There are 14-teams outside of the top six who you have to beat on a more regular basis than the five teams within the Top Six who you have to beat. And let’s face it; last year Liverpool ‘won’ the Top Six table and won sweet f**k all, the year before that United ‘won’ the Top Six table and ended up outside the Top 4. Don’t let the ‘United haven’t beaten anyone yet’ bullsh*t fool you. They have. They’ve beaten almost every team they’ve come up against.  And if they continue to put these teams away, like they have been, they’ll be in for a title challenge.

Very good start with more to prove. However, United fans have every reason to be feeling good. Not only are they playing some great counter-attaching stuff, but they are - most importantly - being really effective. 

Edited by Siralex - 04 Oct 2017 at 8:40am
If I keep writing enough hagiographic articles on Man Utd, they might give me a job
Sponsored Links

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 9:32am
Hard to argue with any of that. Its clearly between the two Manchester clubs. Both will drop points and hit sticky patches throughout the season but it should be a good title race
Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 10:00am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Hard to argue with any of that. Its clearly between the two Manchester clubs. Both will drop points and hit sticky patches throughout the season but it should be a good title race
Would you discount Chelsea after only a few games? Don't think its just a 2 horse race
Some people just deserve a slap
alihau41 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alihau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 10:02am
yea, quite a decent read to be fair and a lot to agree with. a big difference that I would see in united in the final 10 minutes is that last year a Plan B of lumping it long was used as the way to get a break through. it worked sometimes but nowhere near the return desired. whereas this season they are creating vast pockets of space for the likes of rashford/martial etc. to expose the defenders, potentially isolate into 1v1 situations, and scoring great team goals. the most difficult thing for united last season was breaking teams down that sat all 11 behind the ball. nowadays, those 1-1 scores have turned into 4-0s. they've scored 4 on six occasions in nine games
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 10:51am
Originally posted by Croftman Croftman wrote:

Would you discount Chelsea after only a few games? Don't think its just a 2 horse race

Yes I would. Especially now Morata is out for a while

Unlike last season they're playing in Europe now, and I don't think their squad looks as strong as the Manc clubs. 
Plus as we've seen the last few seasons its hard for champions to have a good season the following year, for whatever reason. A bit of the hunger goes I think

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 04 Oct 2017 at 10:52am
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 5:34pm
Have a spare ticket for United-Spurs Saturday 28th October at the end of the month if any of the United heads on here are interested. 50 quid.

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 2:26pm
Good point for United. Even more negative than last season at Liverpool. Liverpool still carved out enough chances to win the game.

Terrible to watch but it gets results. I think Liverpool would've won it if it was an open game so Mourinho as usual will be practical and stop the flow of their attacks.

Glad he's pissing outside the tent then pissing into it
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 3:03pm
The Jose MO-
Beat all the smaller teams and don't lose against your rivals away.
At the start of the season he'd take 5 points against the top 6 away from home.

As others have said, not pretty but wins titles.

OohAah... View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OohAah... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

The Jose MO-
Beat all the smaller teams and don't lose against your rivals away.
At the start of the season he'd take 5 points against the top 6 away from home.

As others have said, not pretty but wins titles.

Would've just reworded the above

At the end of the day mourinio at least for the moment will get sacked at the end of season if we aren't challenging for the title. The argument of how he went about it is for another season after fans may have got used to a bit of success.

It's a fascinating battke between him and guardliola in terms of philosophy's and the only judge if it will be who lands the title.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 9:41pm
For those who love the stats:

That's 10 games now that Jose has gone without a win against the top 6.
D5 L5

rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 12:14am

D5 L5

Where did you get that stat from ?
Is it team was in the top 6 when United played them or they finished top 6 previous season ?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 12:37am
Originally posted by rossieman rossieman wrote:

D5 L5

Is it team was in the top 6 when United played them or they finished top 6 previous season ?

Sure he beat both Chelsea and Spurs at home last season
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 9:13am

Originally posted by rossieman rossieman wrote:

D5 L5

Sure he beat both Chelsea and Spurs at home last season

And Leicester if your going on position from previous season.Spurs and Leicester would count in that scenario but not Chelsea either way its bullsh*t.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 1:39pm

D5 L5

Cool stat bro!

Pathetic set up from Mourinho, Liverpool were there for the taking and he played for a point!

Starting Ashley Young on the wing

Edited by BrendanD88 - 15 Oct 2017 at 1:40pm
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 1:43pm
How were Liverpool there for the taking?

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Their back line consisted of Mignolet, Gomez, Matip, Lovren and Moreno.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 1:50pm
Liverpool's record against the top sides is excellent.

Did United even have a shot on target?

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Their back line consisted of Mignolet, Gomez, Matip, Lovren and Moreno.

All of whom played excellently...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 11501151115211531154 1770>
  Share Topic