Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Magilton fumes over more North Defections

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

Give them back Gibson!

And Wilson!

Joking aside, this is a nothing story that people will try to make into one. Jim Magilton is currently being paid to be annoyed by this sort of thing. I am sure if he said something along the lines of ' I really don't blame them, I wish I played for them', there would be death threats to him and all sorts. It drags up the usual responses of 'if they changed their anthem and weren't followed by a shower of f**kers then they wouldn't have players changing' , is equally bollocks. McClean, Gibson and Wilson are just three lads from the IFA jurisdiction who have played for their country. I don't think it would make a difference if the anthem at Windsor was Maniac 2000 or the flag was a cock and balls. The FAI's ineptitude is also not relevant, as we will get these players no matter what. They might just find it harder to breakthrough if our association gets their house in order. The FAI's failures are irrelevant too, although the North might get more player like McGinn and McCourt if we have stronger squads.
Sponsored Links

Jicked View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jicked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by Irish2011 Irish2011 wrote:

Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Mick, Jim and the Coerver lads doing a fantastic job up there so naturally they're gonna be pissed.

Again the FAI relying on other countries to develop our players.

Other countries? These players have every right to play for us. If the North of Ireland's support were not so bigoted, they might keep these players.

Here Chief, not sure if you've done the CSPE junior cert yet, but if you're going to all that trouble to refer to them as the "North of Ireland", Gerry and the boyos don't like you calling it the Republic of Ireland. Best of luck on Friday. 

Edited by Jicked - 23 Feb 2016 at 1:12pm
Irish2011 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish2011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by PhilliyK PhilliyK wrote:

I read an article in the Sunday Times the weekend by Paul Rowan where he wrote that 3 more North of Ireland players have switched to the Republic. The only one named was a Sheffield United youngster who's name escapes me. Jim Magilton was quoted in the article and is not a happy man. I don't know what Magilton expects with the North of Ireland's anthem, flags. etc.
Stephen Mallon? He switched last summer ffs

Few lads from the north in Uniteds ranks, think only 2 or 3 Irish lads there at moment but could be wrong as not followed the academy sides as closely this year
That's the fella. Magilton was saying how he nurtured him all hes career and then the lad left.
Irish2011 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish2011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by Jicked Jicked wrote:

Mick, Jim and the Coerver lads doing a fantastic job up there so naturally they're gonna be pissed.

Other countries? These players have every right to play for us. If the North of Ireland's support were not so bigoted, they might keep these players.

Here Chief, not sure if you've done the CSPE junior cert yet, but if you're going to all that trouble to refer to them as the "North of Ireland", Gerry and the boyos don't like you calling it the Republic of Ireland. Best of luck on Friday. 
I won't be voting Sinn Fein buddy, I can promise you that.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 1:58pm

That's a shame.

You should.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Irish2011 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish2011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

That's a shame.

You should.
Nah, I wouldn't have a job if they got voted in.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 2:12pm
No point in Magilton fuming, there's absolutely nothing he nor the IFA can do about it. Flags/anthems etc. are red herrings, the fact is that there is a large minority of people in the north who identify as solely Irish, and we will always be their team. No amount of pandering or moderation will change that, and rightly so. You can change the flags and banners, but at the end of the day it's still the Northern Ireland national team, and the likes of Gibson/Duffy/Wilson/McClean don't identify as "Northern Irish" so it won't make a damn bit of difference to them. They'll still choose us as they are perfectly entitled to.
We're decent enough..
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

No point in Magilton fuming, there's absolutely nothing he nor the IFA can do about it. Flags/anthems etc. are red herrings, the fact is that there is a large minority of people in the north who identify as solely Irish, and we will always be their team. No amount of pandering or moderation will change that, and rightly so. You can change the flags and banners, but at the end of the day it's still the Northern Ireland national team, and the likes of Gibson/Duffy/Wilson/McClean don't identify as "Northern Irish" so it won't make a damn bit of difference to them. They'll still choose us as they are perfectly entitled to.

In a nutshell. Look at that Bosnian side we played in November and how many Bosnian Serbs, Bosnian Croats etc don't play for them. Never mind what anthem they play, it's a matter of identity. Bosnia have attempted to harmonise the country and make people from all backgrounds welcome, the fact of the matter is some players there identify with another team and regard it as the ultimate honour to play for them.

Edited by OnTheOneRoad - 23 Feb 2016 at 2:30pm
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
newrynyuk View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newrynyuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 2:45pm
We can all laugh at this.  But there will soon come the day when children of immigrants in Ireland declare for the country of their parents.  Kids who were born here, grow up here, possibly even trained and coached here but then choose to play for Nigeria or Poland.

Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 2:55pm
Hardly a defection when your playing for your country. A defection sounds more like someone leaving the USSR for USA during the Cold War Wink. Seriously though its hardly newsworthy anymore- a lot of nationalists will continue to declare for the Republic so the IFA etc just need to suck it up im afraid.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by newrynyuk newrynyuk wrote:

We can all laugh at this.  But there will soon come the day when children of immigrants in Ireland declare for the country of their parents.  Kids who were born here, grow up here, possibly even trained and coached here but then choose to play for Nigeria or Poland.

I think we can all laugh more at your analogy rather than the declarations but will give a 7 out of 10 for trying, some might bite.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 3:00pm

no they wont because our training and coaching is sh*t, they'll be lucky to play for Ireland but will be miles below the standard of Nigeria and Poland.

* only half joking there LOL yeah sure we could lose a player or two to those countries but i think we are ahead so far from england and scotland and the north. 

The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
Irish2011 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish2011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 3:03pm

It wouldn't bother me, they will be entitled to play for their parents country of birth.
peterbelfast View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peterbelfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 4:17pm
it is ultimately the players choice, whether they choose to play for ireland or the north. Their reasons are secondary and their choice should be respected whatever their reasons are, as someone from belfast i feel no affinity at all for the pub team and even less for their fans. Easy to see how men from a nationliast background choose not to represent the north. I cycle up the lisburn road and have done so on matchdays and often find n.i fans singing the billy boys or doing the bouncy. U can talk about anthems and flags and identity, the fact of the matter is that nothing will change regarding that, any attempt to change flags or anthems would be viciously opposed by large sections of ni. fans so we will have the same stories time and time again  
manchesterbhoy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manchesterbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 5:17pm
great to see the perma rage from magilton

the keeper from down is meant to be a real prospect at celtic 
dubstep View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dubstep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 5:43pm
Hopefully its Shayne Lavery off Everton .
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 5:57pm
I'm thinking Rory and Ronan Hale
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Kevboy View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 6:48pm
The IFA have been given £28 million of tax payers money to re-develop Windsor park, as well as millions more in funding from Stormont & local councils for coaches, development etc... I presume this young Belfast lads parents & family pay taxes/rates, so it's as much their money as the IFA's. 

He's Irish, he wants to play for Ireland...get over it!

The ideal solution would be for Stormont to fund FAI satellite centres in Belfast & Derry to facilitate these young players.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>
  Share Topic