You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Luxembourg away, 14th November 2021

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 52>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 11:30pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Starting to look like a runner now....Brussels I assume for flights.

Ryanair fly direct but unless they're asleep at the wheel like Aer Lingus were with the Vienna flights a few years ago probably better off going through Brussels. Frankfurt Hahn an option don't know if there's any bus connections to Luxembourg though

Edited by Denis Irwin - 08 Apr 2021 at 11:30pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Sponsored Links

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 11:40pm
I'd imagine there'd be plenty of bus and train options to Luxembourg City whether you fly into Frankfurt (maybe Stuttgart too), Paris or Brussels. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
ringerbell View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2021 at 12:00am
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Ryanair fly direct but unless they're asleep at the wheel like Aer Lingus were with the Vienna flights a few years ago probably better off going through Brussels. Frankfurt Hahn an option don't know if there's any bus connections to Luxembourg though

They definitely not asleep on the wheel over €200 already for that direct flight. Loads of options available though can book with lufthansa into Luxembourg with connecting flight in Germany for decent price. Travel will be easy to sort for this 1 
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2021 at 2:17am
Originally posted by ringerbell ringerbell wrote:

Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

They definitely not asleep on the wheel over €200 already for that direct flight. Loads of options available though can book with lufthansa into Luxembourg with connecting flight in Germany for decent price. Travel will be easy to sort for this 1 
Yeah, should be plenty of options for getting there and back. I just hope that they don't leave it too long to announce if we can go or not. 
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2021 at 8:47am
Luxair have a direct flight out on the Friday too

Loads of options for it 
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2021 at 9:47am

Flying into Cologne, took a chance for €20. Unfortunately Ryanair only fly into Frankfurt international from Dublin so Cologne is the shortest bus/train journey 
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2021 at 9:55am
Originally posted by Donegalman Donegalman wrote:

Flying into Cologne, took a chance for €20. Unfortunately Ryanair only fly into Frankfurt international from Dublin so Cologne is the shortest bus/train journey 

Travel time from Koln and Frankfurt is more or less the same give or take 30 mins. 
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2021 at 11:15am
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Travel time from Koln and Frankfurt is more or less the same give or take 30 mins. 
When I was looking into it I think the trains from Cologne were going every hour and working out shorter also so that’s what swung the decision was originally going to book Frankfurt. As far as I could make out there was no direct trains from either city
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2021 at 11:19am

When I was looking into it I think the trains from Cologne were going every hour and working out shorter also so that’s what swung the decision was originally going to book Frankfurt. As far as I could make out there was no direct trains from either city
This is correct - Normally just one change though. 
Charlton's Child View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlton's Child Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2021 at 12:59pm

Clap if you know , you know Beer
BohsinMunich View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BohsinMunich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2021 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by Charlton's Child Charlton's Child wrote:

Clap if you know , you know Beer

Sadly a sign of these Covid times. Not so long ago a popular (train loving) YBIG member would have already provided you with all the details of departure times, changes, cheapest tickets etc
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2021 at 3:44pm
Flix bus used to run from Hahn and Charleroi to Luxembourg. Could be different since covid hit but worth checking out. Paid 5 euro for the bus from charleroi to Luxembourg a few years back.

The trains from Germany to Luxembourg travel through the beautiful moselle valley. Went in the opposite direction for our game in gelsenkirchen all those years ago. A very nice trip. 

Edited by colemanY2K - 09 Apr 2021 at 3:45pm
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2021 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

Flix bus used to run from Hahn and Charleroi to Luxembourg. Could be different since covid hit but worth checking out. Paid 5 euro for the bus from charleroi to Luxembourg a few years back.

The trains from Germany to Luxembourg travel through the beautiful moselle valley. Went in the opposite direction for our game in gelsenkirchen all those years ago. A very nice trip. 

Yeah there definitely used to be a Hahn to Lux flixbus. I'm not sure if there still is. I wouldn't be flying to Amsterdam for this one. Brussels is a far better bet.

In terms of trains from Brussels, they run hourly, it's €28.20 each way, there's no advance purchase savings, and it takes about three hours. There's no catering on board so stock up in advance.

From Frankfurt or Cologne, it takes about three and a half or four hours and usually involves a change or possibly two (usually in Koblenz). It is potentially marginally cheaper than the Brussels option with advance purchase tickets from €22.90 each way; full price tickets are about €50 each way though, so it makes sense to pre-book.

There are loads of options for it anyway.

I haven't booked anything yet or looked into it in too much detail but I will once things are a bit clearer.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2021 at 4:36pm
Robbie Keane could be in place for this game like Don Givens and Noel King were.  Wouldn’t surprise me.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Charlton's Child View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlton's Child Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2021 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Robbie Keane could be in place for this game like Don Givens and Noel King were.  Wouldn’t surprise me.  

If he's still on the pay roll in November there's some serious problems going on 

Edited by Charlton's Child - 09 Apr 2021 at 5:13pm
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2021 at 2:08pm
Lux and Belgium now on the MHQ list...
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2021 at 4:41pm

Wouldn't worry too much about that another few weeks the Mediterranean countries will be pushing for EU travel to save their tourism season. I'd be confident we will be in Luxembourg so much so I booked my flights the other day. 
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2021 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Wouldn't worry too much about that another few weeks the Mediterranean countries will be pushing for EU travel to save their tourism season. I'd be confident we will be in Luxembourg so much so I booked my flights the other day. 
More confident of this now..
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 52>
  Share Topic