You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Luke McNally

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Luke McNally
    Posted: 19 Jun 2022 at 4:55pm
Neil O'Riordan reporting that Burnley are close to signing him from Oxford. They have had a few bids rejected but are close to the asking price of around £1.5m to £1.75m. They see him as a direct replacement for Nathan Collins assuming Collins moves on this summer. St Pat's in line to benefit financially if the transfer goes through also.

He's under the radar in terms of the Ireland squad because we have so many centre backs but I know Oxford fans rate him highly and the general consensus there is that he has the ability to play Premier League at some point in his career.

Sponsored Links

Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2022 at 5:07pm
https://yellowsforum.co.uk/threads/2022-23-season-incoming-transfers.7755/page-182

Last couple of pages on this thread show that consensus alright. Supporters reference his pace, comfort on ball and ability to score. There is reference to lapses in Concentration or similar errors but they all recognize a high ceiling it seems. 

A move to Burnley to play under Kompany wouldn't be bad for a young and raw centre half now would it?
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2022 at 5:20pm
Highest rated defender in League One last season I believe, and one of the top defenders at playing out from the back and good in the air.

Edited by J89 - 19 Jun 2022 at 5:21pm
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2022 at 5:57pm
Interesting that the Oxford supporters are mentioning Conor Masterson and Joe Redmond as potential replacements for McNally if he goes (and Toal at Derry also, but he's affiliated to NI).

Could be an Irish centre back at half the teams in the Championship and League 1 at this rate.
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2022 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Neil O'Riordan reporting that Burnley are close to signing him from Oxford. They have had a few bids rejected but are close to the asking price of around £1.5m to £1.75m. They see him as a direct replacement for Nathan Collins assuming Collins moves on this summer. St Pat's in line to benefit financially if the transfer goes through also.

He's under the radar in terms of the Ireland squad because we have so many centre backs but I know Oxford fans rate him highly and the general consensus there is that he has the ability to play Premier League at some point in his career.

He's the best player I've seen in the first division since Bray went down. Glad to see him making his way over there. 

As you allude, bit of a shame for him it's a golden era for cb's seemingly
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2022 at 8:28pm
Oxford are also trying to get Jack Henry-Francis in on loan from Arsenal. Two other League One clubs, MK Dons and Plymouth, are also reported to be pursuing a similar deal for the young Irish midfielder.
darman28 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darman28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2022 at 10:31am
Would be a great move for him. Hopefully it happens.
A Chanpionship team should take a punt on Warren O'Hara too, a centre back of similar age and calibre.

Edited by darman28 - 20 Jun 2022 at 10:32am
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2022 at 10:59am
I think O'Hora will make the Championship in time either with MK Dons or by moving to someone else. But he is seen as more a defensive defender at this point rather than a ball playing defender, which might make him less sought after than McNally or his former clubmate Harry Darling who has just signed for Swansea.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2022 at 11:20am
Surprised Swansea didn't come in for McNally. All round he's a better defender than Darling but Darling would be the better attacking CB. That probably appeals to Swansea more but watching some of their games last season and it's defenders that can defend better they need.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2022 at 12:01pm

I think O'Hora will make the Championship in time either with MK Dons or by moving to someone else. But he is seen as more a defensive defender at this point rather than a ball playing defender, which might make him less sought after than McNally or his former clubmate Harry Darling who has just signed for Swansea.

Didn't Darling play in the centre of the back 3 for MK Dons and O'Hora as the right centre back? Certainly wouldn't have said Darling was more adept at carrying the ball out of defence than O'Hora is anyway.
We're decent enough..
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2022 at 12:16pm
Darling was very much seen as the ball player of that defence, strong distribution etc. No way Swansea would sign him if he didn't have that in his game with the way they play.

A chance now though for O'Hora to become their main man in defence with him leaving.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2022 at 1:16pm
Darling scored 10 goals in 48 games last season and was in the League One team of the year. He is very good in the air and a menace at set pieces. He stood out in a very good MK Dons team that came close to automatic promotion before being mugged by Wycombe in the play-offs. He was on the radar of quite a few clubs and should prove an astute signing for Swansea.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2022 at 2:19pm
Burnley look to be signing a couple of young Man City centre backs (including the Irish eligible Egan-Riley) as well as Ballard from Arsenal, so not sure where that leaves the McNally transfer - might not happen now. Poor Kevin Long will probably be consigned to his spiritual home on the bench again next season also.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2022 at 2:55pm

Burnley look to be signing a couple of young Man City centre backs (including the Irish eligible Egan-Riley) as well as Ballard from Arsenal, so not sure where that leaves the McNally transfer - might not happen now. Poor Kevin Long will probably be consigned to his spiritual home on the bench again next season also.

Pity as it would have been nice to see McNally move up the ranks now. Looked a cut above League 1 level last year in the few times I see him! 

He might get a move somewhere before the summer is out yet. 
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2022 at 3:37pm
I have not seen him play yet but I understand that Spurs as well as Burnley have made offers for him that did not meet Oxford’s valuation.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2022 at 5:04pm
Wasn't the Spurs thing just a rumour some site put out in January, did they actual put a bid in for him.

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2022 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Wasn't the Spurs thing just a rumour some site put out in January, did they actual put a bid in for him.

Paratici's dyslexic. He thought his name was Makelele.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2022 at 11:46am
Burnley fans seem to think that this is back on, and the Athletic is reporting that the deal for Ballard from Arsenal fell through.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
  Share Topic