You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Luca Connell
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login


Luca Connell

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 21>
Author
Message
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
Avatar

Joined: 07 May 2009
Status: Offline
Points: 1899
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 9:07am
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

We didnt lose them ffs they defected for the pound signs. This bollix about capping ****s for the sake of it is just that, bollix. If they want to play for us and are good enough then they will win their caps. Capping players for the sake of it is Pathetic. If we ‘lose’ more players then let them f**k off, they didn't really give a sh*t in the first place. Dont give a rats what Wales or anyone else do. 

Absolutely. And I don’t believe for one second or will it cross Mick’s mind in the next 2 weeks and rightly so.

We rarely beat teams convincingly enough to be taking liberties and capping them for the sake of it? We scraped by Gibraltar 2 months ago. Yes we hammered them in the past but I don’t think that’s going to happen this time.

If Connell is good enough and interested he’ll get capped in time. And that’s a big if
Back to Top
Sponsored Links


Back to Top
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady


Joined: 01 Jun 2016
Status: Offline
Points: 2889
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 9:29am
Every chance Connell will be capped regardless of whether we’re trying to stop him playing for England or not. 

Whelan is needed for the full 90 vs Denmark, Josh Cullen a possible starter vs Gibraltar. An injury to either of those players and Connell is the next defensive midfielder in the team. 
Back to Top
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady


Joined: 21 Feb 2014
Status: Offline
Points: 1826
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 9:44am
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Every chance Connell will be capped regardless of whether we’re trying to stop him playing for England or not. 

Whelan is needed for the full 90 vs Denmark, Josh Cullen a possible starter vs Gibraltar. An injury to either of those players and Connell is the next defensive midfielder in the team. 

If Connell is still in the panel for the games, he'll be capped. As mentioned above, Whelan plays 90 mins against Denmark, I expect Cullen to start against Gibraltar. Had we gone 3 nil up against Gibraltar last time, I'd say both Byrne and Cullen would have got debuts. Not to be.

This time around, the match will be put to bed within 60 mins and Connell will then be capped.

Back to Top
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Avatar
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Joined: 16 Aug 2013
Location: Ireland
Status: Offline
Points: 7414
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 9:48am
Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

Capping him doesn't "tie" him to us. It just stops him playing for anybody else. There is no obligation for them to play for us again.

They should be capped on merit, not eligibility.

Yes, I think you'll find that by definition, it does. If we cap him, he cannot play for any other nation, therefore he is "tied" to us. Now he could refuse to ever play for us again (which technically is a breach of FIFA rules that we could seek punishment against him for, so again you're incorrect to say no "obligation" exists), but exactly how likely is that? Stephen Ireland is the only player I can think of that has put himself into a long-term international exile having been capped, and he's from Cork! 

Even discussing "merit", it's so subjective. What sort of merit? Merit over the past month? Merit over the last year? Merit over the last decade? Merit over the week training camp...... Capping Connell and players like him could be "merited" for any number of reasons, none less so than in helping to secure the future of our national. The general consensus on here seems to be that 95% of English born players do not have Ireland as their first choice anyway, so why exactly does it matter if we cap them after 15 club appearances or 50? We are not going to be anymore their first choice after 100 club appearances than we are after 1, so all we're doing is taking the risk that England come sniffing around them.


Edited by The O'Shea - 28 May 2019 at 9:49am
We're decent enough..
Back to Top
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
Avatar

Joined: 12 Mar 2016
Location: Co. Dublin
Status: Offline
Points: 1150
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 9:55am
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

Capping him doesn't "tie" him to us. It just stops him playing for anybody else. There is no obligation for them to play for us again.

They should be capped on merit, not eligibility.

Yes, I think you'll find that by definition, it does. If we cap him, he cannot play for any other nation, therefore he is "tied" to us. Now he could refuse to ever play for us again (which technically is a breach of FIFA rules that we could seek punishment against him for, so again you're incorrect to say no "obligation" exists), but exactly how likely is that? Stephen Ireland is the only player I can think of that has put himself into a long-term international exile having been capped, and he's from Cork! 

Even discussing "merit", it's so subjective. What sort of merit? Merit over the past month? Merit over the last year? Merit over the last decade? Merit over the week training camp...... Capping Connell and players like him could be "merited" for any number of reasons, none less so than in helping to secure the future of our national. The general consensus on here seems to be that 95% of English born players do not have Ireland as their first choice anyway, so why exactly does it matter if we cap them after 15 club appearances or 50? We are not going to be anymore their first choice after 100 club appearances than we are after 1, so all we're doing is taking the risk that England come sniffing around them.


Absolutely spot on. Connell needs to be capped against the Gib to avoid another Rice saga dragging on for 6 months. I don't think I have the patience to deal with that nonsense again. He clearly wants to be there so cap him and he'll feel part of the squad going forward.


Edited by Mr. Snrub - 28 May 2019 at 9:56am
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss!"
Back to Top
doherty View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Book early to avoid disappointment

Joined: 30 Mar 2015
Status: Offline
Points: 3723
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 11:19am
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

We didnt lose them ffs they defected for the pound signs. This bollix about capping ****s for the sake of it is just that, bollix. If they want to play for us and are good enough then they will win their caps. Capping players for the sake of it is Pathetic. If we ‘lose’ more players then let them f**k off, they didn't really give a sh*t in the first place. Dont give a rats what Wales or anyone else do. 

Ya i agree with this thinking. If i was manager id take this type of stance. I actually think its not right to tie a young guy down just because we want him to play for us. If they want to play for us they will. If they dont or are "thinking" about it well then let them fcuk right off. Bucks like bamford i wouldnt let near the squad even. 
Back to Top
Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Avatar

Joined: 17 Oct 2013
Status: Offline
Points: 932
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 11:23am
Cap him and it’s a closed issue - no agent in his ear, no club exec thinking about his value, no PPTs from the FA.
Back to Top
grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
Avatar

Joined: 23 Jan 2010
Location: Parts Unknown
Status: Offline
Points: 4368
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Maybe Connell is committed, but let's give him another before capping him. Let's see where his stance is if he has joined an new club and is playing a blinder.

To me that would be silly. We have the perfect scenario against Gibraltar to cap him competitively. Wasting this opportunity would be ridiculous altogether. Get it over and done with.


Edited by grannyrule - 28 May 2019 at 12:51pm
Kenny has 0% win record after 11 games including a home loss to Luxembourg
Back to Top
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Avatar

Joined: 17 Jul 2009
Location: Monaghan/Dublin
Status: Offline
Points: 31075
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by Gerry Geary Gerry Geary wrote:

Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

We didnt lose them ffs they defected for the pound signs. This bollix about capping ****s for the sake of it is just that, bollix. If they want to play for us and are good enough then they will win their caps. Capping players for the sake of it is Pathetic. If we ‘lose’ more players then let them f**k off, they didn't really give a sh*t in the first place. Dont give a rats what Wales or anyone else do. 
HEY man get real. I think Wales policy is justified and terrific. We need a mixture of it but 5/6 new players should be capped each year. For the sake of it. International football is today's exposure and recognition.
5/6 players each year for the sake of it? Ive always known you're on another planer but fcuk me dead you're nuts. You do realise we only play 5/6 times a year and pretty much all of those are crucial games against decent opposition. So you want to cap lads to tie them to us just in case they defect..and do it in important games? Stick to the oul racism Javier, you were actually better at it.
Back to Top
JohnSwift View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane


Joined: 03 Jun 2016
Status: Offline
Points: 293
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnSwift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by Mikeire Mikeire wrote:

it seems from here that we should look to cap Connell in much the same way we did with Obafemi and put this to bed.

Going forward it’s then up to the player if he wishes to play. 

I don’t think we can judge based on the limited information we have on players 

Stephen Ireland - from Cork, capped and couldn’t be bothered.
Cascarino - not even eligable, capped and wore the shirt with pride.

Rice - had he been capped competitively, who knows.

That's a myth. Cascarino was eligible.
Back to Top
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Avatar
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Joined: 03 Feb 2008
Location: Ath Cliath
Status: Offline
Points: 36246
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 1:25pm
Mick has already stated he won't be capping for the sake of it. Which is the correct attitude

Edited by Denis Irwin - 28 May 2019 at 1:25pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Back to Top
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Avatar
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Joined: 27 Jan 2008
Location: Christmas Island
Status: Offline
Points: 24169
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 1:38pm
When do we find out if he's sticking about with the squad?
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Back to Top
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton


Joined: 07 Oct 2009
Location: Ireland
Status: Offline
Points: 6692
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by JohnSwift JohnSwift wrote:

Originally posted by Mikeire Mikeire wrote:

it seems from here that we should look to cap Connell in much the same way we did with Obafemi and put this to bed.

Going forward it’s then up to the player if he wishes to play. 

I don’t think we can judge based on the limited information we have on players 

Stephen Ireland - from Cork, capped and couldn’t be bothered.
Cascarino - not even eligable, capped and wore the shirt with pride.

Rice - had he been capped competitively, who knows.

That's a myth. Cascarino was eligible.

Why do people still think this? Although they did sell the serialisation of the book on it to a degree. But even in the book it's made clear he was eligible. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Back to Top
Gerry Geary View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane


Joined: 30 May 2018
Status: Offline
Points: 396
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Geary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Originally posted by Gerry Geary Gerry Geary wrote:

Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

We didnt lose them ffs they defected for the pound signs. This bollix about capping ****s for the sake of it is just that, bollix. If they want to play for us and are good enough then they will win their caps. Capping players for the sake of it is Pathetic. If we ‘lose’ more players then let them f**k off, they didn't really give a sh*t in the first place. Dont give a rats what Wales or anyone else do. 
HEY man get real. I think Wales policy is justified and terrific. We need a mixture of it but 5/6 new players should be capped each year. For the sake of it. International football is today's exposure and recognition.
5/6 players each year for the sake of it? Ive always known you're on another planer but fcuk me dead you're nuts. You do realise we only play 5/6 times a year and pretty much all of those are crucial games against decent opposition. So you want to cap lads to tie them to us just in case they defect..and do it in important games? Stick to the oul racism Javier, you were actually better at it.
Listen Shame...you dont know a bit...a bit....about football and England is taking your player Just for fun. You have to be proactive. MON was great and smart to cap Michael obafemi. But Rugby is sport waiting for you follow it is less complicated than football. We have to cap 5/6 Young players per year to have some depth. Gibraltar. Moldavia etc are the best scenario . Or you can stay with helping England out

Edited by Gerry Geary - 28 May 2019 at 2:25pm
Back to Top
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Avatar
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Joined: 03 Feb 2008
Location: Ath Cliath
Status: Offline
Points: 36246
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 2:18pm
Shame LOLLOL


Javier Clap
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Back to Top
JohnSwift View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane


Joined: 03 Jun 2016
Status: Offline
Points: 293
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnSwift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 2:40pm
When are we playing Moldavia?
Back to Top
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Avatar
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Joined: 27 Jan 2008
Location: Christmas Island
Status: Offline
Points: 24169
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 2:55pm
Shame LOL
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Back to Top
Gerry Geary View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane


Joined: 30 May 2018
Status: Offline
Points: 396
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Geary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by JohnSwift JohnSwift wrote:

When are we playing Moldavia?
No we are not this term. But our strategy must be to cap one or two when we Play the minnows. FIFA is going to protect the big country. Argentina is not a big country its like Australia. Ireland are still seen as the socialists Catholics of Europe and that's not gonna change either. I mean the Basques are the same as the Irish, but they ain't a republic yet. 
 
sensible football says bring both Cullen and Connell in vs the rock. I will start Cullen and replace him.with Connell with 15 to go.
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 21>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd.