You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Luca Connell

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2526272829 35>
Author
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccarten313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2022 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Originally posted by amccarten313 amccarten313 wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Connell is a central midfielder, those players above are defenders.

JJ Kenny has 50 games in the EPL under his belt too, also a full season in the Bundesliga too. Hardly a good comparison

2 Celtic managers ultimately felt that there were just more players ahead of him. It's unfortunate but that's the way it is.

Good to see him doing well all the same.

liam shaw is a midfielder and if you want another example, joey dawson another midfielder who at least appeared for them in a competitive game during the period that connell never did. im not saying he was good enough but it def was unlikely that'd he not even play once given the hype when he signed, prev first team football with bolton, was in the irish senior squad.

as for kenny, those 50 games are across 7 seasons, and the reason i offered him (plus the others) as examples is because he is one of the most memorably bad celtic players in recent seasons. not saying they're similar. just pointing out, as i said in the post, that in that time many players who were extraordinarily bad (kenny) or unheralded/forgettable and haven't done anything since (liam shaw) still got a game when connell never did. happy to see him playing and doing well for barnsley of course

I don't even mind the fact he never made an appearance for them. It's the lack of effort to develop him loaning him to Queens Park twice was disgraceful and whoever is representing Connell should be ashamed of.themselves for letting it happen! 

He could easily have been loaned out to a League 1 team or lower level Scottish Premier League team the first season he came in don't mind the next two! They handled his development disgracefully. 

As for Johnny Kenny another ridiculous situation lad could be at Sligo as the focal point week in week out playing football could easily be on course for a 20 goal season given his ability. A 19yo striker scoring goals like he did in his first year at 17yo would attract proper attention full stop regardless of the level! Instead rotting in the Lowland Leagues not even loaned out! Rocco Vata is 17yo so has time on his side yet. 

completely agree
Sponsored Links

SC92 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2022 at 7:32pm
My issue with Celtic isn't that I think some of recent Irish lads have been good enough for Celtic. It's that if you aren't good enough it seems you aren't of any interest to them so appropriate development loans aren't found. Some players are slower developers so you can't disregard them all.

So really it was a waste of several years for him
 Yet I think if he'd joined a prem/champ team he might play a little youth football but get sent on loans eventually that would actually develop him.
CillDara View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2022 at 9:45pm
Completely agree, Celtic should have at least tried to find decent loans for these guys, they were treated like sh*te from a developmental perspective once they went to Celtic and that is unforgivable. I would love to see Connell, O'Connor, Afolabi etc go on to suceed in their careers but no doubt moving to Celtic has set them back about 2 or 3 years.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2022 at 10:54pm
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2022 at 8:15am
Originally posted by CillDara CillDara wrote:

Completely agree, Celtic should have at least tried to find decent loans for these guys, they were treated like sh*te from a developmental perspective once they went to Celtic and that is unforgivable. I would love to see Connell, O'Connor, Afolabi etc go on to suceed in their careers but no doubt moving to Celtic has set them back about 2 or 3 years.

O'Connor joined Celtic Sept 19 and was loaned out in 2020 and has pretty much spent the rest of his time on loan before becoming permanent. So I am not sure how you are coming to the conclusion that this set him back 2/3 years.

He has literally spent 3 years playing senior football.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2022 at 8:44am

O'Connor joined Celtic Sept 19 and was loaned out in 2020 and has pretty much spent the rest of his time on loan before becoming permanent. So I am not sure how you are coming to the conclusion that this set him back 2/3 years.

In Scottish league one? He’d have been better off playing for some championship clubs u23s
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2022 at 9:31am
Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

In Scottish league one? He’d have been better off playing for some championship clubs u23s

He wasn't playing in the Scottish L1.
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2022 at 9:54am

Weren’t Queens Park in L1 last season?
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2022 at 10:16am

Weren’t Queens Park in L1 last season?

I'm talking about Lee O'Connor.
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2022 at 12:31pm
O'Connor was at Partick Thistle in the Scottish Championship initially. They were struggling at the time if I remember correctly. Would have been the equivalent of a bottom end LoI team or a first division team maybe. Not where you'd have wanted to see him go.

But O'Connor (or whoever was representing him) chose his clubs poorly as a young player. Man United and Celtic is a very traditional route into professional football for a young Irish player. Maybe it would have been the right way to go in the 1980s but not today. All about finding overseas clubs who offer first team pathways and  decent loan moves now. So the likes of Man U and Celtic are best avoided.
Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2022 at 12:38pm
we will never know how good luca could have been thanks to Celtic. you cant let a player rot in the reserves or amateur football for three years and not have it harm his career. i will never forgive celtic for what they do to our young lads. its a disgrace
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2022 at 1:12pm
LOL
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
giveittochristie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote giveittochristie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2022 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

O'Connor was at Partick Thistle in the Scottish Championship initially. They were struggling at the time if I remember correctly. Would have been the equivalent of a bottom end LoI team or a first division team maybe. Not where you'd have wanted to see him go.

But O'Connor (or whoever was representing him) chose his clubs poorly as a young player. Man United and Celtic is a very traditional route into professional football for a young Irish player. Maybe it would have been the right way to go in the 1980s but not today. All about finding overseas clubs who offer first team pathways and  decent loan moves now. So the likes of Man U and Celtic are best avoided.
He was really good underage at United but for whatever reason kept getting shunted around the team to fill gaps. I was surprised he was allowed go to Celtic, but since then he's certainly not developed as hoped. 

Still has time on his side and think he will eventually get to Championship level, and become a 10-20 cap player for us.
darman28 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darman28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2022 at 5:36pm
Just seen that Connell set up/assisted Barnsley's two goals today against Ipswich. First a cross, the second a corner
darman28 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darman28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2022 at 1:04pm
Luca Connell's (No 48) two assists from yesterday

Edited by darman28 - 28 Aug 2022 at 1:06pm
giveittochristie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote giveittochristie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2022 at 1:38pm
Looking at our most recent u21 squad, could see him coming in for Joe Hodge for the Israel games

Edited by giveittochristie - 28 Aug 2022 at 1:38pm
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2022 at 1:47pm
Crawford named a 25 man squad the last time and think they normally name around 22. U21s can only name match day squad of 19. Hodge was probably only called up to train with an eye to next year and more than likely would have dropped out anyway.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2022 at 2:18pm
Fairplay to this lad hitting the ground running. God knows where he would be now if he didn't go to that Venus flytrap up in Scotland. 

Always looked a real tidy ball playing midfielder. Could do with a few stepping up and making strides. Kilkennys move to Stoke has been mixed so far!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2526272829 35>
  Share Topic