You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Luca Connell

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 35>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2022 at 3:05pm
18 months left at Celtic. Hard to see any breakthrough in that time frame. Leaving on a free the most likely outcome. Made a few quid in his 4 year trip I suppose.
Sponsored Links

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2022 at 3:12pm
He'll be 22 by then, having likely not played any proper professional football for about four years (Scottish League 1 is mostly a semi-professional league). I think the damage is done with him, although his complete lack of pace was a limitation in any case. Hope he has made a few quid from Celtic because it's hard to see where he goes from there.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2022 at 3:35pm
I would agree. I think we almost have a few tiers of developing players. There's the lads we're pinning our hopes on, like Bazunu and Knight and the centre backs, as well as the group of forwards that we're hoping we can pull at least one good international striker from.

Then there's another group just below that who are doing very well - lads like Kilkenny and McNamara and Ebosele who could go on to be important players for us.

But then there's a huge group of players that are, at best, long shots. The odd one will develop late and come good but most of these will either fall to a level where they won't be good enough to play for Ireland or possibly even fall out of the game altogether. I think every player mentioned in the post above probably falls into that category, and there are loads more too sadly.

It's just the nature of the game.

Edited by You Tell Me - 06 Jan 2022 at 3:36pm
Stimpy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stimpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2022 at 4:03pm
2 goals so far today for Connell 
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2022 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by Stimpy Stimpy wrote:

2 goals so far today for Connell 
Who against the dog and duck?
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2022 at 3:33pm
Grabbed an assist to help Queens Park win promotion to the Scottish Championship. 2nd promotion in 2 years for him & QP.

Celtic really have wasted him.

Going into the final year of his contract there.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2022 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by Greenie50 Greenie50 wrote:

Grabbed an assist to help Queens Park win promotion to the Scottish Championship. 2nd promotion in 2 years for him & QP.

LOL
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Roberto_Carlow View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto_Carlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2022 at 4:44pm

How dare Celtic not use a Scottish League 3rd tier level player to try and win the league and 40m CL entry.

Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2022 at 5:04pm
Wow lads, your reading comprehension is pretty terrible. Nowhere did I say Connell should be playing for Celtic.

I said Celtic have wasted him, which they have.

He's better than Celtic reserves & Scottish League1/2.
3 down the drain that is Celtics youth system when he'd have been far better off playing in English League 1.
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2022 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

LOL

Have thay not wasted him? He was a regular at Bolton, goes there and ends up playing in the 3rd and 4th tiers. Hard to imagine his career taking a much worse trajectory. 
Jock View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2022 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

I think a league 1 move would be really great for him. He's been around for a long time it seems but still very young. 

Seems to be getting the injuries behind him too. 

Celtic has been a disaster for his development too, they don't seem to invest in their underage players very well. 

Looking at okoflex as an example, who was just wasting away with Celtic and now on the bench of a top 10 premier league club... 

Four academy graduates in the last matchday day squad. With countless others on the bench through the season. 
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2022 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by Jock Jock wrote:

I think a league 1 move would be really great for him. He's been around for a long time it seems but still very young. 

Celtic has been a disaster for his development too, they don't seem to invest in their underage players very well. 

Looking at okoflex as an example, who was just wasting away with Celtic and now on the bench of a top 10 premier league club... 

Four academy graduates in the last matchday day squad. With countless others on the bench through the season. 

How many played more than 10 games in the last 5 years?
KingKenny View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KingKenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2022 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by Jock Jock wrote:

5 actually. None of them under the age of 22 though.

Even just looking at Connell you easily see the mismanagement of their young players. Do you really think after 10 appearances in the Championship, the best they could do for him was 6 months with no football and then a loan to a league that's a lower standard than the LOI First Division.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2022 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

LOL

Have thay not wasted him? He was a regular at Bolton, goes there and ends up playing in the 3rd and 4th tiers. Hard to imagine his career taking a much worse trajectory. 

Maybe he's just not good enough?
I don't see a whole lot of clubs looking to take him on loan either.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
KingKenny View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KingKenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2022 at 7:01pm

LOL

Is that really the best you can come up with. He was playing in the second tier of England and in the Irish squad but wasn't good enough for a loan above the 4th tier of Scotland
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2022 at 7:12pm
Can you offer an alternative view?
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2022 at 7:26pm
It was a terrible move for the lad. Who’s exact fault it was is immaterial. Hopefully he can get a move in the summer 
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2022 at 7:38pm

LOL

Maybe, but I think it's fair enough to say they wasted him, there was high hopes for him and he did well at Bolton and had his pick of suitors . Not sure the reason for the laughy emoji! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 35>
  Share Topic