You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Louis Theroux

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2011 at 2:10pm
must say i think louis is to documentaries as the sun is to newspapers, simplistic and doesnt discover the underlying cause of the problem
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
Siralex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Poor Man's Duncan Castles

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siralex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2011 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

must say i think louis is to documentaries as the sun is to newspapers, simplistic and doesnt discover the underlying cause of the problem

Ha ha - for f**k sake Saint Tom - he's not there to discover the underlying cause of problems! Ha ha - you're missing the point. He's only there to document how these people live.

It's not investigation or confrontational journalism. I think your missing the point of what he does.

..and I have to say, you are the only person I have ever come across that doesn't think Louis Theroux is the best in the world at what he does. The lad has won so many individual awards it would put Lord Of The Rings to shame!
If I keep writing enough hagiographic articles on Man Utd, they might give me a job
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2011 at 3:41pm
like i said, him staying silent and allowing others make themselves sound stupid is not a style i like. its sensationalist and not my cup of tea

give me the type of documentary where i learn something new, or experience a different perspective on something rather than louis bigging up neo nazis in la, gangsters in philidelphia or rednecks in westboro and playing the fool knowing those who we know are not the full shilling anyway making tits of themselves

My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
The Lurker View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lurker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2011 at 5:37pm
on now on bbc2 for anyone that missed!
love louis pauses leaving them to talk sh*te!
BigPodge View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
I'm the Gaffer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigPodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2011 at 5:38pm
It's on BBC2 again now, started at 11.20!!

Edited by BigPodge - 04 Apr 2011 at 5:39pm
Barry View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2011 at 10:26am
Originally posted by Siralex Siralex wrote:

Louis is teh best broadcast journalist I've ever seen.  Love everything he has done!  I have his Weird Weekend Box-set and I highly recommend it - it's only about €8 in HMV at the moment.  He's the best at getting people to fall over their words without even following up with questions.  I wudda liked him to be a bit more confrotational last night - but I guess that's not his job. There is a Keith Allen interview with this 'church' that was filmed a about 5-6 years ago that is much more confrontational....he found out the main woman had an illigitamte son and went at her with it!  Funny - although Keith Allen is a prick!

My fave Lious is the Nazi's one - he's outstanding!

here sir elton is this the one you bought?
Siralex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siralex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2011 at 11:03am
Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

like i said, him staying silent and allowing others make themselves sound stupid is not a style i like. its sensationalist and not my cup of tea

give me the type of documentary where i learn something new, or experience a different perspective on something rather than louis bigging up neo nazis in la, gangsters in philidelphia or rednecks in westboro and playing the fool knowing those who we know are not the full shilling anyway making tits of themselves

f**kin hell Tom!  You are being a bit silly here.  YOu think Louis style - and it is a much-practised style - of staying silent is 'sensationalist'.  How the f**k do you work that out? 

Louis is the master at letting the person he is documenting tell teh story, you aren't getting his view on it, you are getting the real view from teh people you want a view of.....that's why he is a genius.

Watch great interviewers such as Gay Byrne and Michael Parkinson....when they interview a person they let the person do the taling....we - as viewers - don't want the interviewers opinion or view - we only wanna hear from teh person being interviewed!

I don't get your opinion of Luois at all I'm afraid - I think he's head and shoulders above anyone I have ever seen carrying out these dorts of documentaries.....

And if you think Louis has 'bigged up' Neo Nazis or anyne he has interviewed then I suggest you re-watch all of his work.  I've never seen him 'big up' anyone in any circumstance ever!
If I keep writing enough hagiographic articles on Man Utd, they might give me a job
Siralex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siralex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2011 at 11:04am
Originally posted by The Q Man The Q Man wrote:

Louis is teh best broadcast journalist I've ever seen.  Love everything he has done!  I have his Weird Weekend Box-set and I highly recommend it - it's only about €8 in HMV at the moment.  He's the best at getting people to fall over their words without even following up with questions.  I wudda liked him to be a bit more confrotational last night - but I guess that's not his job. There is a Keith Allen interview with this 'church' that was filmed a about 5-6 years ago that is much more confrontational....he found out the main woman had an illigitamte son and went at her with it!  Funny - although Keith Allen is a prick!

That's the baby baby!  I think it's a couple quid cheaper in HMV - I definitely recommend it!
Barry View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2011 at 12:14pm

Originally posted by The Q Man The Q Man wrote:

That's the baby baby!  I think it's a couple quid cheaper in HMV - I definitely recommend it!

Seen em all before but do think ill purchase tv gold
petej1963 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petej1963 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2011 at 4:30pm
Some shower of nutters, I say they would do well in the singing section........

Sleep gentle our Rose of Mooncoin.......
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2015 at 8:32pm
All his documentaries are on Netflix now.

He's very good and pretty fair when the dealing with some pretty extreme groups of people.

That paedophile mental hospital episode was very interesting.
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2015 at 8:38pm
Louis Theroux is a legend!

Never tire of watching his documentaries.

"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2015 at 8:55pm
enjoy his docs. If u haven't already check out his weekend with Paul Daniels and then the one in pursuit of whacko jacko.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2015 at 9:03pm
I can't watch more than five minutes of Paul Daniels without getting an extreme urge to kill. I still believe he is the reason behind many of the serial killers of the past 25 years
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2015 at 9:08pm
Ya I'll check those out too.

Just watching the Philadelphia gun crime one.

I definitely prefer him to Ross Kemp. Kemp just comes across like he's playing up to the camera at times. A little bit too fake where Theroux seems like a decent auld skin.
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2015 at 9:38pm
Theroux is a far more intelligent interviewer. The stuff he gets people to say on camera is brilliantly done.
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2015 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

Theroux is a far more intelligent interviewer. The stuff he gets people to say on camera is brilliantly done.

What's good is that he's not out to do a hatchet job but will still subtlety challenge them on their viewpoints.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2015 at 10:29pm
Comparing Louis to Kemp is like comparing Fidelma from Glenroe to Judi Dench
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic