Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Long Way Back For FAI

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2014 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Originally posted by Citizen Citizen wrote:

for me the overwhelming majority of the qualifiers for euro2012 were soul destroying. Not having a go at home against any half decent team is very disheartening. Its not rocket science why the floating punter stopped going. its not style of play either, it was just spineless scared performances. 

Very true but I for one am glad we made a tournament rather than not (albeit it was over football wise 5 mins into the second game) when I can still enjoy the experience (football on the pitch notwithstanding).

You only have to spend a bit of time on the TAMB to see plenty of posts along the lines of

'I was too young for France 98 and was going to go to the next tournament, didn't think I would still be waiting.

God it is 15 years since we were last at a tournament

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

For feck sake one of my best mates was there and he is my age which I am guessing is about 20 years younger than you and he was there as an adult able to vote  LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

Ha ha just realised thats a qoute from TAMB  fair enough so Wink

Still leaving it in.  

he is my age20 years younger than you

maths not your strongest point

WTF is wrong with post replies box the font is all changed and trying to highlight text is near impossible !!!!!!!!!!

ConfusedConfusedConfusedConfused

you not about 55 no ?  would you had in the Murph and Hornet category.  

Rearrange the letters and words to OFF FCUK
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Sponsored Links

Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2014 at 7:14am

[QUOTE=Citizen] for me the overwhelming majority of the qualifiers for euro2012 were soul destroying. Not having a go at home against any half decent team is very disheartening. Its not rocket science why the floating punter stopped going. its not style of play either, it was just spineless scared performances. 

Very true but I for one am glad we made a tournament rather than not (albeit it was over football wise 5 mins into the second game) when I can still enjoy the experience (football on the pitch notwithstanding).

You only have to spend a bit of time on the TAMB to see plenty of posts along the lines of

'I was too young for France 98 and was going to go to the next tournament, didn't think I would still be waiting.

God it is 15 years since we were last at a tournament[/QUOTE

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

For feck sake one of my best mates was there and he is my age which I am guessing is about 20 years younger than you and he was there as an adult able to vote  LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

Ha ha just realised thats a qoute from TAMB  fair enough so Wink

Still leaving it in.  

he is my age20 years younger than you

maths not your strongest point

WTF is wrong with post replies box the font is all changed and trying to highlight text is near impossible !!!!!!!!!!

ConfusedConfusedConfusedConfused

you not about 55 no ?  would you had in the Murph and Hornet category.  

Rearrange the letters and words to OFF FCUK
Just like a fine wine Baldie as i am a cork sort of person , where you will always be the screw type that's if you can ever understand how the screw thing works Wink Mid 50s is the place to be  just getting better with age .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2014 at 10:22am
Wasn't having a pop I genuinely thought that Newryrep was the same age as yourself and Hornet.  

You have done well to survive San Fran in the 80s 
AKA pedantic kunt
OohAah... View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OohAah... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2014 at 12:01pm
Football in this country is an oddity. 

The band wagon only fills up around periods of success.

Friendlies are a wast of time to watch. Even the players barley show up and if they do they dont bust a gut unless they maybe are making a debut and trying to prove a point. The opposition will have the same attitude, it makes for a dull game.

Rugby Freindlies are different in comparison cos largely the best team will be put out and will give it socks. Also the Irish Rubgy team has 5 competitive matches a year ( of which 2 or 3 are at home) in a tournament over a short period of time. Their is immediate excitment about it.

Football competitive games are sporadically spread out over a 18 month period... even the process is dragged out, no immediate buzz about it.

Rugby tends to be all action, Football not always. More instant gratification for the floating viewer. Plus the awards system for their tries and kicks... 7. In soccer just the one...

They are a couple of reasons I suggest that the floating viewer is more into rugby at times...

Personally speaking, sit me down for 90 mins of football any day.

Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2014 at 12:23pm

Wasn't having a pop I genuinely thought that Newryrep was the same age as yourself and Hornet.  

Talk about surviving the 80s in SF , i must know 5 or 6 who are no longer with us who i knew over there  Cry
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2014 at 1:09pm

'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Xpro View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Not a WUM anymore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xpro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2014 at 11:56pm
Originally posted by OohAah... OohAah... wrote:

Football in this country is an oddity. 

The band wagon only fills up around periods of success.

Friendlies are a wast of time to watch. Even the players barley show up and if they do they dont bust a gut unless they maybe are making a debut and trying to prove a point. The opposition will have the same attitude, it makes for a dull game.

Rugby Freindlies are different in comparison cos largely the best team will be put out and will give it socks. Also the Irish Rubgy team has 5 competitive matches a year ( of which 2 or 3 are at home) in a tournament over a short period of time. Their is immediate excitment about it.

Football competitive games are sporadically spread out over a 18 month period... even the process is dragged out, no immediate buzz about it.

Rugby tends to be all action, Football not always. More instant gratification for the floating viewer. Plus the awards system for their tries and kicks... 7. In soccer just the one...

They are a couple of reasons I suggest that the floating viewer is more into rugby at times...

Personally speaking, sit me down for 90 mins of football any day.

Xpro View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Not a WUM anymore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xpro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2014 at 12:51am
Some interesting points there, OohAah. I agree that the 6 Nations games are compressed into the 2 months of Feb and March while the footie games are spread out over the year.

Not sure what you mean by the "floating viewer" - is that not a bit derogatory? I`m a complete sportshound and follow everything from hurling to footie to rugby. I played all 3, along with gaelic football, snooker and golf, and hand on heart footie has always been my favourite game.

There are loads like me out there in this sportsmad nation and when it comes to international team sports, the Irish sports fan is looking for expressions of pride in wearing the green jersey. John "The Bull" Hayes, a Limerick farmer and Munster prop, wept during the national anthem when we played England in Croker a few years ago. This struck a huge chord with Irish sports fans, who were used to seeing some of our national footie team either tight-lipped or uncomfortably mouthing the words to the national anthem.

Shane Long recently signed with Hull and is on a wage of 40 grand a week - more than I earn in a year. Stephen Ireland spent 120 grand on building an aquarium (fish tank) in his mansion. I`m finding it very hard to relate to these guys and sometimes I feel that they can be barely arsed to show up for an international friendly.   
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2014 at 11:37am
Ok...this lad is calling football footie and is saying people like rugby cause hayes cried during tge anthem

Defo a wum
Xpro View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Not a WUM anymore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xpro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2014 at 1:31am
If that`s all you have to say for yourself, (and tempting as it is to substitute a J for the G in your username), I`m pulling down the shutters on this thread.

Growing up in Ireland, where the word "football" is synonymous with gaelic games, (which I once played), I`m not left with too many alternatives to describe association football.

The word footie isnt ideal but it`s easily better than the word soccer, imo. Soccer for me just conjures up images of the American Mom, calling up the stairs to her two young lads: "I`ll be waiting outside in the automobile, guys, you`ve got Soccer Camp in 45 minutes".

As for John Hayes being moved to tears during the national anthem, prior to a rugby international at Croker, my point is that our football/footie/soccer internationals have lost that emotional pride in playing for their country. Staunton, Quinny, Keane and Given gave it socks, but the current crop of molly-coddled millionaires seem to turn up for ROI games more out of a sense of duty than any real passion to wear the green jersey. I hope I`m wrong...   
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2014 at 1:34am
Originally posted by Xpro Xpro wrote:

If that`s all you have to say for yourself, (and tempting as it is to substitute a J for the G in your username), I`m pulling down the shutters on this thread.

Growing up in Ireland, where the word "football" is synonymous with gaelic games, (which I once played), I`m not left with too many alternatives to describe association football.

The word footie isnt ideal but it`s easily better than the word soccer, imo. Soccer for me just conjures up images of the American Mom, calling up the stairs to her two young lads: "I`ll be waiting outside in the automobile, guys, you`ve got Soccer Camp in 45 minutes".

As for John Hayes being moved to tears during the national anthem, prior to a rugby international at Croker, my point is that our football/footie/soccer internationals have lost that emotional pride in playing for their country. Staunton, Quinny, Keane and Given gave it socks, but the current crop of molly-coddled millionaires seem to turn up for ROI games more out of a sense of duty than any real passion to wear the green jersey. I hope I`m wrong...   

Sleepy
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
theheff1989 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
My name badge won a prize

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theheff1989 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2014 at 7:33am

RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2014 at 7:50am

right lets call it football on this site except for in the GAA thread ok?

not much point coming onto a football site and singing the praises of other codes to be honest,

i am fully with you on the molly coddled millionaires thing by the way but i feel the new management will bring a bit of passion back.

The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910
  Share Topic