You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

London Tower Block fire

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 1:16am
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Little bit harsh on the Tories Sid as there'll probably be a miniscule Tory demographic in that tower that'll vote for them but if you're going to be negligent on fire regulations, then at least it'll be probable Corbynites or anyone but the tories voters who'll go up in flames.

Every cloud has a silver lining and all that

Well, put it this way - that's Labour's majority in Kensington literally gone up in smoke. 

Eh? Confused

After May's attitude today? Literally fobbed off the residents for a photo opportunity next to a tragedy? After the Tory council let this as you call death trap happen? 

If the new MP gets the re-housing right, if anything it'll significantly increase.

Edited by coyne - 16 Jun 2017 at 1:16am
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 3:01am
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Little bit harsh on the Tories Sid as there'll probably be a miniscule Tory demographic in that tower that'll vote for them but if you're going to be negligent on fire regulations, then at least it'll be probable Corbynites or anyone but the tories voters who'll go up in flames.

Every cloud has a silver lining and all that

Well, put it this way - that's Labour's majority in Kensington literally gone up in smoke. 

Eh? Confused

After May's attitude today? Literally fobbed off the residents for a photo opportunity next to a tragedy? After the Tory council let this as you call death trap happen? 

If the new MP gets the re-housing right, if anything it'll significantly increase.
Yes, I think there's a good chance that will happen now, certainly if the election is in the near future. 

My point was that Labour have a majority of 20 in Kensington, and I highly imagine there were more than 20 more Labour voters than Tory voters in Grenfell Tower.

Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 9:06am

The Express doesn't let the fact that this cladding is banned in Germany get in the way of using this tragedy for an Anti EU Rant.
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 9:43am
Is it true that the bulk of the refurbishment that was carried out last year was to improve the aesthetics of the building from the outside? I.E so it wasn't such an 'eye sore' to the rest of Kensington? If it transpires that this same external cladding that was added at that point was the main cause of the fire spreading so quickly then the entire optics of this horrible tragedy become even more terrible.
Darraghn92 View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darraghn92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 9:50am
Also banned in the US. You know there's questions to answer when even the Americans think that cladding is too dangerous to be used
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darraghn92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 9:58am
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

Is it true that the bulk of the refurbishment that was carried out last year was to improve the aesthetics of the building from the outside? I.E so it wasn't such an 'eye sore' to the rest of Kensington? If it transpires that this same external cladding that was added at that point was the main cause of the fire spreading so quickly then the entire optics of this horrible tragedy become even more terrible.

The conditions and reasons for the imposition of the cladding, according to the planning report, was 'to accord with the development plan by ensuring that the character and appearance of the area are preserved and living conditions of those living near the development suitably protected'. And also says 'The changes to the existing tower will improve its appearance especially when viewed from the surrounding area (the adjacent Avondale Conservation Area to the south and the Ladbroke Conservation Area to the east).
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 10:01am
The Sun going into full Hillsborough mode as well
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 10:49am
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

The Express doesn't let the fact that this cladding is banned in Germany get in the way of using this tragedy for an Anti EU Rant.
Exactly what I was talking about, while people discuss the political position of dead people. Stop the world.........
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 11:08am
You've got it spot on PM. Sadly, I think this is now the world we live in where partisan politics becomes the go to position for people in the wake of a tragedy like this. The numbers of lives lost has not even been ascertained and social media and the general
Media have been all over every single political aspect of this, while people have not even been located let alone identified.

This is an unbelievably sad, appalling and horrific tragedy which necessitates full public scrutiny, oversight and deliberation. However, the focus ought to be on the victims and the irreparable damage that has come into their lives.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 11:13am
May to visit the injured in hospital. Think they've realised how much of an error it was yesterday for her not to meet with the residents

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 11:21am
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

You've got it spot on PM. Sadly, I think this is now the world we live in where partisan politics becomes the go to position for people in the wake of a tragedy like this. The numbers of lives lost has not even been ascertained and social media and the general
Media have been all over every single political aspect of this, while people have not even been located let alone identified.

This is an unbelievably sad, appalling and horrific tragedy which necessitates full public scrutiny, oversight and deliberation. However, the focus ought to be on the victims and the irreparable damage that has come into their lives.
The funny thing is, I don't think I could be any more partisan, I won't even talk to a Tory unless I am getting paid for it, but sometimes those beliefs  become less important. How can the media be allowed to look for a political angle? The immediate response has been to run with a narrative that suits their editorial agenda and in doing so have desensitised a nation into thinking like this kind of discourse is ok!
We all know that someone is to blame here, be it incompetence or worse and I am sure I don't need to give my own views in how this came to pass. DI called it spot on, there are huge similarities to how Hillsborough was covered, which means it obviously isn't a new thing.

Edited by pre Madonna - 16 Jun 2017 at 12:00pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 11:57am
Lizzie and William have visited the scene. So that's May's security concerns claim out the window. She's coming out of this worse and worse by the hour

Edited by Denis Irwin - 16 Jun 2017 at 11:57am

500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darraghn92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 12:15pm
Commons leader Andrea Leadsom went out. It wouldn't be like May to send someone else out to when the going gets tough, all the while she was on the phone to her friends in Saudi Arabia and Qatar
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 12:22pm
This IS political. 

It's as political as it gets. 

It's about how "health and safety" has been demonised. It's about how"red tape", "nanny state" and "unnecessary regulations" (all deliberately pejorative phrases) have been demonised. 

It's about how "light touch regulation" (a "positive" phrase) has been treated as gospel. Criminally negligent regulation is a far more accurate phrase.

It's about how working class people, immigrants, the poor, the unemployed and the disabled (a disabled 70 year woman living on the 23rd floor, anyone?) have been demonised and not listened to.

I really don't get how some people are having a hard time understanding that. 

And we all know which party and which section of the media takes by far the lion's share of the blame for that.

They created the culture where this sort of thing and Hillsborough are allowed to happen.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 12:34pm

This IS political. 

It's about how "health and safety" has been demonised. It's about how"red tape", "nanny state" and "unnecessary regulations" (all deliberately pejorative phrases) have been demonised. 

It's about how "light touch regulation" (a "positive" phrase) has been treated as gospel. Criminally negligent regulation is a far more accurate phrase.

It's about how working class people, immigrants, the poor, the unemployed and the disabled (a disabled 70 year woman living on the 23rd floor, anyone?) have been demonised and not listened to.

And we all know which party and which section of the media takes by far the lion's share of the blame for that.

They created the culture where this sort of thing and Hillsborough are allowed to happen.

Of course it is, but there is a time and a place to politicise it! That is the point.

I actually think that by immediately politicising it, before the death count has even been finalised, you are fuelling the belief that these people's lives are unimportant. Much like Hillsborough, something Britain appears to have learnt nothing from.
By politicising the deaths of people you, and so many more in the media, are dehumanising them. 
So, when the next tragedy comes around, caused by reasons we both know, we end up with two sides of the media flinging faeces at each other while people mourn and questions that should have been asked, or even were asked, get lost in the maelstrom of sh*t.
BigPodge View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
I'm the Gaffer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigPodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 12:38pm
30 confirmed deaths now Cry
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

This IS political. 

Of course it is, but there is a time and a place to politicise it! That is the point.

I actually think that by immediately politicising it, before the death count has even been finalised, you are fuelling the belief that these people's lives are unimportant. Much like Hillsborough, something Britain appears to have learnt nothing from.
By politicising the deaths of people you, and so many more in the media, are dehumanising them. 
So, when the next tragedy comes around, caused by reasons we both know, we end up with two sides of the media flinging faeces at each other while people mourn and questions that should have been asked, or even were asked, get lost in the maelstrom of sh*t.

The time to politicise this political issue is NOW. 

By saying that "it shouldn't be politicised", you are running away from reality and letting the people and the political and media culture responsible off the hook.

Believe me, those responsible for the neglect, and the political culture of demonisation of poor people, will look to push this back on the victims, just like at Hillsborough. 

They already are.

Look at this from the scumbag Tory leader of Kensington and Chelsea Council. 

"The dead can't talk back, so let's blame them" is the strategy.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by BigPodge BigPodge wrote:

30 confirmed deaths now Cry
It will, unfortunately, be a lot higher. f**ked if I would be a fireman this week. I saw a crowdfunding page to raise money for a drinking session for them, if anybody ever deserved a pint it is those lads. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic