You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LOI in Europe 2016

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 98>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2016 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by UCDFAN UCDFAN wrote:

Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Originally posted by Twoinarow Twoinarow wrote:

Originally posted by roverstillidie roverstillidie wrote:

No chance would Rovers beat Aberdeen! Dundalk wouldnt even beat Aberdeen FFS!

You can't beat anyone in Europe. Don't you lot hold the record for the biggest spanking ever dished out to an Irish club.

We also got the furthest any irish side ever got in Europe!

TBH that honour should really go to Shamrock Rovers who made the group stages of a tournament, given the amount of teams now playing in European competition.

Years ago, cup winners or whatever could get into the first or second round of a tournament. 

To be fair Glentoran are the Irish side that got the furthest. As a cup competition the closest a team gets to the Final is the acceptable measurement of progress last sixteen from Dundalk is vg.
Other metrics:
Number of matches in a season
Number of competitions in one season (Shelbourne and Shamrock Rvs on 2)
Number of victorious ties
Number of individual victories
Latest date of Football match.
Actual Prestige of Opponents
Preceived Prestige of Opponents
Number of games at Domestic venue
Latest round of games at Domestic venue.
Attendance.

after edit:
Percentage over capacity of attendance for Home tie.
Linfield Q/F in 1967 of EC not ahead of Glens. Linfield only beaten by one goal on agg.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Sponsored Links

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2016 at 6:23pm

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

The team should always believe a chance, no matter who they are playing! Realistically though, Shams beating Aberdeen now would be a big shock. The gap between the two teams, never mind the clubs, is absolutely huge.
While I accept this is subjective, what happened the last two times Irish and Scotch clubs played in Europe? The only two times since the switch to summer football as well.

16 years ago? Was a shock then as well.

I had a look at their squad and they are bog standard SPL - some decent players released by the Glasgow two and a couple of journeymen on their way down. Second was a great finish, but it says more about the SPL than the Dons.
True, still far superior to anything in Ireland, Dundalk included. Most, if not all, LOI players would see a move to Scotland as a step up. I can't see Johnny Hayes, McGinn or Willo Flood seeing a move back to Ireland as anything but a step down.

This year just gone Aberdeen beat a Macedonian team on away goals, had a good win against Riejka from Croatia and then lost to Kazakh opposition. Inverness and St Johnstone crashed out first round, the Saints to Armenian opposition and Caley Romanian. So they aren't exactly showing us how it is done on the continent.
And nobody said they were, did you miss the Irish club results? 2 wins against Luxembourg teams, Pats getting spanked by Latvians who were beaten 11-4 on aggregate by Debrecen in the next round. My lot were beaten by ten men in Iceland. The only team who can hold their heads high is Dundalk in giving BATE a bit of a game.
By the way, the Romanians that squeezed past Caley then knocked out West Ham before going out 4-3 on aggregate to AZ Alkmaar and Kairat went out on away goals to Bordeaux

I really think you are overestimating contemporary Scottish football and not giving our sides enough credit.
I think the problem is the exact opposite and that is why our league continues to be stuck where it is. We are continuing to pat ourselves on the back for no achievement. We believe because we have a similar population to a country near us, see their football go backwards from where it was and just assume we can compete with them because Bohs and Derry had decent results. For a start the league was stronger back then, there has been a massive drop off in standard in the past decade that many choose to ignore, mostly by pointing at Dundalk. That is fine, but Dundalk have been head and shoulders above everyone else in the league. They lost one game in the league last year and won the cup. They might give Aberdeen a game, I would imagine Shams would be beaten quite comfortably by them.
As for being accused of 'minnowism', I genuinely laughed at it. Do you know why? The only place I have heard this made-up word is from League of Ireland fans and it sums the situation up. Google it and you get links to Chris Shiels and foot.ie ffs!! You can't look at something objectively, assess all the stats and give a reasonable prediction. Put it this way' I can get online odds on the three Scottish teams to actually win the thing easily online, you have to request prices for the Irish clubs. That is minnowism. For what it is worth, I would be disappointed if any League of Ireland player expected to be beaten by a Scottish team, I am merely stating what I think objectively.

Edited by pre Madonna - 27 May 2016 at 6:24pm
Landon Donovan View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 9:37am
The Northern Irish League are very likely to overtake the LOI this season on the coefficient . The LOI needs to outscore NI.
UCDFAN View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UCDFAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 9:56am
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Originally posted by UCDFAN UCDFAN wrote:

Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

No chance would Rovers beat Aberdeen! Dundalk wouldnt even beat Aberdeen FFS!

You can't beat anyone in Europe. Don't you lot hold the record for the biggest spanking ever dished out to an Irish club.

We also got the furthest any irish side ever got in Europe!

TBH that honour should really go to Shamrock Rovers who made the group stages of a tournament, given the amount of teams now playing in European competition.

Years ago, cup winners or whatever could get into the first or second round of a tournament. 

To be fair Glentoran are the Irish side that got the furthest. As a cup competition the closest a team gets to the Final is the acceptable measurement of progress last sixteen from Dundalk is vg.
Other metrics:
Number of matches in a season
Number of competitions in one season (Shelbourne and Shamrock Rvs on 2)
Number of victorious ties
Number of individual victories
Latest date of Football match.
Actual Prestige of Opponents
Preceived Prestige of Opponents
Number of games at Domestic venue
Latest round of games at Domestic venue.
Attendance.

after edit:
Percentage over capacity of attendance for Home tie.
Linfield Q/F in 1967 of EC not ahead of Glens. Linfield only beaten by one goal on agg.

Cheers, I get confused 'cos Linfield almost knocked out Panathinaikos in 1984 2nd round and there was a short tv report linked with Glentoran playing Panathinaikos in 1964 and the quarter-final of 1967 was mentioned and I conflated the two stories, Glentoran + Quarter Final.
www.ucdsupporters.ie
Xpro View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Not a WUM anymore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xpro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2016 at 12:15am
"RKBarmyArmy" - I`m not going to get pedantic about the respective populations of Glasgow and Dublin. That figure for Dublin is 5 years old and I`d be very surprised if Glasgow has a bigger population 
when the Irish 2016 census figures eventually come out.

But aside from those anorak details, both cities have large populations and in the case of Glasgow, the support of Glaswegians for their national league puts us Irish to shame. 1,550 turned up today to see two of the mainstays of the LOI: Bohs and Pats. And the support in Tallaght wasn`t much better.

I think it says a lot about our sham patriotism when more Irish soccer fans attend games in Britain than games at home. I remember hearing some dork on a radio phone-in saying he`d go to LOI games if the standard was better. It didn`t seem to occur to his thick skull that without his and others support, the finances wouldn`t be available to improve the league.
"If you fail to prepare, you`re prepared to fail" - Mark Spitz
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2016 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by Xpro Xpro wrote:

"RKBarmyArmy" - I`m not going to get pedantic about the respective populations of Glasgow and Dublin. That figure for Dublin is 5 years old and I`d be very surprised if Glasgow has a bigger population 

but it has, it feels bigger and is bigger. Jaysus f**king wept!
Xpro View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Not a WUM anymore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xpro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 11:36pm
The population of Greater Glasgow & Fylde is currently 1.2 million. The population of Greater Dublin was 1.23 million five years ago. Sorry if that dampens your puerile excitement but ffs brush up on your junior cert geography, you`ve exams coming up Unhappy  
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 1:15am
I like to see our sides doing well in Europe but I don't see anyone that will go on a run.

Pats & Shams are poor. A round would be good.
Dundalk have regressed. The seeded side is packed with big clubs with massive budgets so the odds are against them getting a favourable draw:
Celtic     
APOEL     
BATE Borisov     
Legia Warsaw     
Dinamo Zagreb     
Ludogrates
København     
Maccabi Tel Aviv
Qarabag     
Rosenborg
FK Astana     
Skënderbeu Korçë     
Red Star Belgrade     
Dinamo Tbilisi     
FH Hafnarfjardar     
Trencín

Cork are probably capable of a few round but I would have said the same thing before they went to Iceland last year.

Not optimistic.
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 1:25am

The population of Greater Glasgow & Fylde is currently 1.2 million. The population of Greater Dublin was 1.23 million five years ago. Sorry if that dampens your puerile excitement but ffs brush up on your junior cert geography, you`ve exams coming up Unhappy  
Use google better cliché lover!!
I hold very little hope this year, similar to last I would expect.
RKBarmyArmy View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RKBarmyArmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 9:10am

Its amazing how someone can get their figures so wrong. I dont even mind, I enjoy going to both Dublin and Glasgow every now and again but Glasgow feels, and just simply is a much bigger city. Doesnt mean its a better place to go though but try telling that to some Dubs and their "my Dad is bigger than your Dad" mentality. 
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 10:25am
Originally posted by RKBarmyArmy RKBarmyArmy wrote:

Its amazing how someone can get their figures so wrong. I dont even mind, I enjoy going to both Dublin and Glasgow every now and again but Glasgow feels, and just simply is a much bigger city. Doesnt mean its a better place to go though but try telling that to some Dubs and their "my Dad is bigger than your Dad" mentality. 
In fairness, it's always har dto figure out the populations of cities, do you count just the city or the metro area, I'm sure you could find a figure that makes Glasgow bigger and another stat that makes Dublin bigger
UCDFAN View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UCDFAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 9:30pm
European Comedian

Edited by UCDFAN - 08 Jun 2016 at 9:31pm
www.ucdsupporters.ie
PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 9:58pm
LOL Love to watch comedy in The Stand. Its almost as good as ybig at times.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 10:02pm
Stewart Lee
Xpro View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Not a WUM anymore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xpro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 12:23am
To the Cork posters on here with the chip on the shoulder towards our capital city, just get over the fact that Dublin`s metropolitan population exceeds that of Glasgow. But anyways, back to the thread...

Of the five Irish clubs last summer in Europe, I thought Rovers, UCD and Dundalk did ok. Pats played well away in Riga but conceded cheaply at home when concentration was needed most. As for Cork, they were an embarrassment to the league and maybe Caulfield will learn from that.
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 2:21am
You couldn't count of an FAI team to beat an IFA team. People think it would be an easy way into the second round but it wouldn't be that easy.
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 2:27am
To the cliché king, your argument was that Dublin was twice the size of Glasgow, now you are trying to change the boundaries to make Dublin bigger and you are still not succeeding. It isn't a chip on the shoulder, it is pointing factual inaccuracies that were being used for an argument that as a result becomes baseless.
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 4:26am
Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

You couldn't count of an FAI team to beat an IFA team. People think it would be an easy way into the second round but it wouldn't be that easy.

The NIFL hasn't been run by the IFA for over 2 years now.
The NIFL run it.
Interestingly, they are now only less than a point behind us in the coefficients which means they are on course to leap frog us possibly as early as this year.

I'd agree with you as much as we'd see it as a good draw any of their top sides would see it exactly the same way, with the added sickener for us that a win for them would put them ahead of us & leave us right down among wales/the rock & San Marino.

Probably best to avoid drawing the Nordies!
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 98>
  Share Topic