Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

List of candidates for the job

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: List of candidates for the job
    Posted: 17 Jun 2023 at 2:05pm
Patrick Vieira
Rafa Benitez
Neil Lennon
Big Sam
Stevie G
Frank Lampard
David Jeffrey
Phil Neville
Jesse Marsch

Anyone else from the UK or continent?
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Sponsored Links

doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2023 at 2:10pm
Only Big Sam and Lennon would be potential candidates. Even Big Sam id say wouldn't be bothered. Chris Houghton has taken over Ghana so id say he is out of the running. I wouldn't mind lookjng at some Scandinavian options. They always did well. Morten Olsen coached  Denmark for 15 years. Hasnt mamnaged since. Old wise heads maybe is what we need again?
I love beer gardens
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2023 at 2:15pm
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2023 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Patrick Vieira
Rafa Benitez
Neil Lennon
Big Sam
Stevie G
Frank Lampard
David Jeffrey
Phil Neville
Jesse Marsch

I'm not trying to be trite here (out of that list, I'd like Benitez), but I'd imagine unless we substantially improve the salary on offer, only Phil Neville and David Jeffrey Clap off that list would be interested!
Idah Dream!
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2023 at 2:30pm

Patrick Vieira
Rafa Benitez
Neil Lennon
Big Sam
Stevie G
Frank Lampard
David Jeffrey
Phil Neville
Jesse Marsch

Disappointed there is no deschamps 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2023 at 2:32pm
VIVA BIELSA!!!!
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2023 at 2:34pm
Not that we could afford him, but would take Rafa in a heartbeat 
Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2023 at 2:37pm

Patrick Vieira
Rafa Benitez
Neil Lennon
Big Sam
Stevie G
Frank Lampard
David Jeffrey
Phil Neville
Jesse Marsch

Vieira is a poor manager. -GD at 2 of his 3 clubs managed.
Rafa is a bit too pragmatic. His stock is low after Dalian and Everton.
Lennon would actually be a good fit tbh. 
Big Sam is a dinosaur. He failed miserably with Leeds and WBA.
Stevie G has ties to gangsters and is an ex Rangers manager. Nope.
Kenny might be better than Lampard at this stage.
Jeffrey? LOL.
Phil is a terrible manager. Dull bastard as well.
Marsch isn't bad, but his Yank personality would grate. Ted Lasso.

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2023 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by Banana_RepublicFC Banana_RepublicFC wrote:

Patrick Vieira
Rafa Benitez
Neil Lennon
Big Sam
Stevie G
Frank Lampard
David Jeffrey
Phil Neville
Jesse Marsch

Jeffrey? LOL.

I absolutely could not countenance Neil Lennon, any manager who can get a Celtic team playing such dour football in a 2 team League has no place managing our international team. I actually like the guy, but I dont rate him as a coach or a manager. I dont think it would be worthwhile replacing Kenny if Lennon was the option.

Rafa is pragmatic, but his teams play decent possession based football, he is tactically astute, experienced and a very good coach, well capable of getting his ideas across to young players. I seriously doubt that we have any chance of attracting him to the job, but he is absolutely miles clear of Lennon as a candidate. Rafa with perhaps a young Irish assistant to learn alongside him would be such a stunningly good appointment that I reckon there is absolutely zero chance of it happening.
Idah Dream!
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2023 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Only Big Sam and Lennon would be potential candidates. Even Big Sam id say wouldn't be bothered. Chris Houghton has taken over Ghana so id say he is out of the running. I wouldn't mind lookjng at some Scandinavian options. They always did well. Morten Olsen coached  Denmark for 15 years. Hasnt mamnaged since. Old wise heads maybe is what we need again?

Vahid Halilhodzic would be an interesting left field option.

70 year old Bosnian out of work since last year,

Qualified Morocco for the 2022 World Cup but was sacked before the tournament due to a dispute with their FA.

He was the Japan manager who qualified them for the 2018 World Cup, but again was sacked before the tournament. The media/public hated him because he played a different style of football than they were used to and he left out their star players. Getting beat 4-1 by their rivals South Korea in the Asian games seemed like the excuse they needed to get rid of him, he brought an inexperienced squad of mostly uncapped players to try blood players heading into the World Cup.

He was manager of Algeria, where most would know him from qualifying Algeria for the 2014 World Cup and had them reach the last 16 where they ran eventual winners Germany ragged narrowly losing 2-1 in ET.

He was manager of Ivory Coast, where he qualified them for 2010 World Cup going on a 2 year unbeaten run. Again though, he was sacked before the finals after they crashed out of the African Cup of Nations in the Quaters Final vs eventual winners Algeria who scored in ET.

Seems a bit of a head banger like Trap, but highly experienced on the International front and wouldnt be an expensive option. Might be what we need to steady the ship again.

Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2023 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Patrick Vieira
Rafa Benitez
Neil Lennon
Big Sam
Stevie G
Frank Lampard
David Jeffrey
Phil Neville
Jesse Marsch

Jeffrey? LOL.

I absolutely could not countenance Neil Lennon, any manager who can get a Celtic team playing such dour football in a 2 team League has no place managing our international team. I actually like the guy, but I dont rate him as a coach or a manager. I dont think it would be worthwhile replacing Kenny if Lennon was the option.

Rafa is pragmatic, but his teams play decent possession based football, he is tactically astute, experienced and a very good coach, well capable of getting his ideas across to young players. I seriously doubt that we have any chance of attracting him to the job, but he is absolutely miles clear of Lennon as a candidate. Rafa with perhaps a young Irish assistant to learn alongside him would be such a stunningly good appointment that I reckon there is absolutely zero chance of it happening.

Unless Rafa was acting as a double agent on behalf of Liverpool FC, he looks done as a manager. He's won 19 of his last 60 games between his stints in China and the blue half of Merseyside. 31.7% win rate.

He could possibly adapt to Irish culture. He was well liked by Liverpool and Newcastle fans. But it would feel like a return to MON for me.

Lennon is a better manager than Kenny, obviously. He's managed at a higher level. Neither would excite me. But would probably do better than Kenny.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2023 at 4:08pm

Patrick Vieira
Rafa Benitez
Neil Lennon
Big Sam
Stevie G
Frank Lampard
David Jeffrey
Phil Neville
Jesse Marsch

Jeffrey? LOL.

Unless Rafa was acting as a double agent on behalf of Liverpool FC, he looks done as a manager. He's won 19 of his last 60 games between his stints in China and the blue half of Merseyside. 31.7% win rate.

He could possibly adapt to Irish culture. He was well liked by Liverpool and Newcastle fans. But it would feel like a return to MON for me.

Lennon is a better manager than Kenny, obviously. He's managed at a higher level. Neither would excite me. But would probably do better than Kenny.

There's about 7 managers have tried and failed now at Everton, basketcase of a club. I know nothing of his stint in China, but I wouldnt hold anything that went on over there against him.  He has won La Liga with Valencia and the Champions League with a poor Liverpool team, he has genuine pedigree having managed some of the biggest clubs on the continent. He is of an age now where international management just might appeal. I very much doubt we could entice him, but if there was even a half chance, he would be a brilliant appointment.

He is absolutely nothing like MON either in footballing terms or as a personality. I have no idea why you feel this

"Would probably do better" isnt a ringing endorsement and not one that would convince me that it was worth replacing Kenny with Lennon.
Idah Dream!
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2023 at 4:18pm

Patrick Vieira
Rafa Benitez
Neil Lennon
Big Sam
Stevie G
Frank Lampard
David Jeffrey
Phil Neville
Jesse Marsch

Jeffrey? LOL.

There's about 7 managers have tried and failed now at Everton, basketcase of a club. I know nothing of his stint in China, but I wouldnt hold anything that went on over there against him.  He has won La Liga with Valencia and the Champions League with a poor Liverpool team, he has genuine pedigree having managed some of the biggest clubs on the continent. He is of an age now where international management just might appeal. I very much doubt we could entice him, but if there was even a half chance, he would be a brilliant appointment.

He is absolutely nothing like MON either in footballing terms or as a personality. I have no idea why you feel this

"Would probably do better" isnt a ringing endorsement and not one that would convince me that it was worth replacing Kenny with Lennon.

Maybe your Liverpool bias is showing once again, John. 

He was a very good manager 15-20 years ago. Football has changed. 

He's like MON in the sense that he's old fashioned and outdated. There's a reason why his career has gone from managing Valencia, Liverpool and Real Madrid to Newcastle, Dalian and Everton. His methods aren't working anymore. Mourinho is slightly outdated himself, but his methods do still work up to a point.

I would probably take you and an Irish XI of Kellehers over Kenny at this point. Lennon would look like Pep compared to that.

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2023 at 4:23pm
Rafa may be past his best, but if you would genuinely prefer Lennon over him, then I suspect I really have no further argument to make with you on this issue. Good afternoon sir!
Idah Dream!
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2023 at 4:27pm

Rafa may be past his best, but if you would genuinely prefer Lennon over him, then I suspect I really have no further argument to make with you on this issue. Good afternoon sir!

I said that neither would excite me earlier on.

But I would take either over Kenny. Lennon would be more likely to take the job.
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2023 at 4:33pm
John Lennon would be a better call then Neil 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2023 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

John Lennon would be a better call then Neil 

I'd prefer Yoko f**king Ono tbh Smile
Idah Dream!
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2023 at 5:39pm
Do ye think Benitez would abandon his club ambitions for us? Eeeh no. Im sure hes waiting for a good opportunity for himself. Plus these guys nowadays could just as easily manage in Saudi or Qatar for a few years and earn a packet for turning up.
I love beer gardens
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>
  Share Topic