You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Liam Scales

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 20>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Liam Scales
    Posted: 03 Aug 2021 at 3:15pm
Looks like his move to Celtic is going through.  

Has been somewhat of a graveyard for young Irish player's ambitions in recent years.  You'd be surprised if he was the manager's choice, given how recent he is in the job. 

Scales has been solid for us in Kenny's U-21s, initially as back up for Dara O'Shea and Conor Masterson in a successful Toulon tournament, where we ended up going out 2-0 in the semis to essentially the Brazil Olympics team, before establishing himself as first choice either at CB or LB.  Now obviously established himself strongly at Shamrock Rovers.  Shame that it looks like he'll miss their Euro campaign now.  

22 years old and a good player.  My money would say he'll get a senior cap; although we seem to have a bit of a conveyer-belt of centre-halves now.

Here's Balls.ie's take on him:

Sponsored Links

Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2021 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Looks like his move to Celtic is going through.  

Has been somewhat of a graveyard for young Irish player's ambitions in recent years.  You'd be surprised if he was the manager's choice, given how recent he is in the job. 

Scales has been solid for us in Kenny's U-21s, initially as back up for Dara O'Shea and Conor Masterson in a successful Toulon tournament, where we ended up going out 2-0 in the semis to essentially the Brazil Olympics team, before establishing himself as first choice either at CB or LB.  Now obviously established himself strongly at Shamrock Rovers.  Shame that it looks like he'll miss their Euro campaign now.  

22 years old and a good player.  My money would say he'll get a senior cap; although we seem to have a bit of a conveyer-belt of centre-halves now.

Here's Balls.ie's take on him:

As foir Celtic being a graveyard, I agree and if Scales loses a season to this move, nobody could argue he needed a crystal ball to forsee it.
But I'd also assume he is gaining a massive pay-rise, so how could he refuse to test himself and try it out.

Edited by Fozz - 03 Aug 2021 at 3:42pm
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2021 at 4:41pm
I know they've just signed McCarthy, who you'd rate, but he's so injury-prone that it's a big risk. 

Meanwhile they seem to be losing all their best players - Frimpong, Ajer, Ntcham, Elyounossi, etc.  Christie and Edouard the next to go seemingly.

That's the majority of their good outfield players.  And they're left with the likes of Bitton and Barkas.  

Stating the obvious, but they're in for a tough season - could be a tough place for Irish players this year.

greenshoots View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2021 at 10:36am
Newspaper talk this morning is that a number of clubs are interested in Scales (Rovers quoted as saying the most clubs ever for a player of theirs). No harm to see a bidding war take place and an Irish club get a decent fee for a player for once. Hopefully Scales gets a good club too and can progress.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2021 at 10:47am
Originally posted by greenshoots greenshoots wrote:

Newspaper talk this morning is that a number of clubs are interested in Scales (Rovers quoted as saying the most clubs ever for a player of theirs). No harm to see a bidding war take place and an Irish club get a decent fee for a player for once. Hopefully Scales gets a good club too and can progress.

Wonder if they're exaggerating this to their advantage. 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2021 at 10:59am
Fair play to them if they are... presumably they didnt pay a fee for him when he left UCD, so this money is pure profit for them and they would be well entitled to it. If they get a decent fee and can use it to tie down other players to longer term contracts, then we finally get to a situation whereby UK clubs cant get a player from the LOI on the cheap cos he has no long term deal in place. If a UK club wants a player, they will pay a decent price. If they dont want to pay, then the player stays in Ireland and the LOI gets stronger and stronger each year.
I'm not a huge follower of the league but it does seem that there are some really good players here in the league at the moment and I hope the players who leave do end up at decent clubs and the ones that stay continue to improve the league in general
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2021 at 11:37am
Since Sheffield United have been relegated, by process of elimination you can narrow the list of PL teams interested in Liam Scales to Burnley.
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2021 at 1:35pm
Aston Villa more likely. At least one PL club is rumoured to have put in a higher bid than Celtic so far.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2021 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Since Sheffield United have been relegated, by process of elimination you can narrow the list of PL teams interested in Liam Scales to Burnley.

Norwich and Southampton are the two reputed bidders no? Both seem quite likely they tend to sign a more under the radar type player then a Villa let’s say.
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2021 at 2:18pm
Norwich would be a disaster as we have young Omobamidele there and we are already hoping that they have faith in a 19 yr old CB. Norwich are unlikely to play 22 yr old Scales as well if they signed him. Southampton might be an option as Dutch international Vestegaard is their left sided CB and he's currently a target for Spurs, so potentially a slot opening up there....
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2021 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by greenshoots greenshoots wrote:

Norwich would be a disaster as we have young Omobamidele there and we are already hoping that they have faith in a 19 yr old CB. Norwich are unlikely to play 22 yr old Scales as well if they signed him. Southampton might be an option as Dutch international Vestegaard is their left sided CB and he's currently a target for Spurs, so potentially a slot opening up there....

Has Scales not proven very adept as an attacking left back? I get he’s a CB in general but that would be an option also. Will be interesting to see where he goes.

Also I’d be surprised if he didn’t go for at least 600k. I suspect clubs will happily pay that for him especially if they view him as one to go into first teams. 

Keep in mind with Norwich they also probably want another CB to go with what they have without paying a fortune for one that will interfere with Omobamidele? That was the vibe I got from them anyways. 

Edited by kevin100 - 05 Aug 2021 at 2:29pm
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2021 at 2:33pm
If he goes to an EPL team you'd hope he goes straight out on loan because he's unlikely to play much premier league football initially and under 23 games would be useless to him at his age.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2021 at 2:56pm
He's 23. Surely whoever is buying him is intending to play him or least he's in  strong position to play. Bit old to be going out on loan. You either have confidence in a 23 year old or you don't. 
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2021 at 3:35pm
yeah I'd agree, cant see him being signed and sent out on loan. He's at an age now where he either plays or he doesnt, he's not a kid, he's 23 in a few days time. From what I've seen, he's a super talent, surely worth a go at a lower end Premier League club or a Championship side. Cant see why he would drop any lower.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2021 at 3:44pm
A lower end PL team is a big claim. Not sure hes at that level.
I love beer gardens
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2021 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Teams of Norwich and Southampton's size regularly buy players from countries like Greece and Netherlands and throw them in straight away.

We've just seen a team from Ireland beat a Greek team and Dundalk drew with a Dutch team a few years ago; neither looked particularly overawed.

When Coleman was given a chance, he acquitted himself well pretty much straight away. I thought Stevens looked similarly able at Villa and was unfairly consigned to the scrapheap after picking up an injury at a bad time, despite being thrown into the deep end against some of the biggest teams in the league during a particularly challenging run for Villa.

I would've thought Everton and Aston Villa were considerably bigger teams than Southampton and Norwich now and particularly then.

Different positions but McClean, Long and Doyle adapted pretty much straight away as well.

There have been the flops like Roy O'Donovan but they weren't good enough for League One let alone the PL; Scales has already proved his worth internationally and in Europe on a consistent basis.

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 05 Aug 2021 at 3:59pm
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2021 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Teams of Norwich and Southampton's size regularly buy players from countries like Greece and Netherlands and throw them in straight away.

We've just seen a team from Ireland beat a Greek team and Dundalk drew with a Dutch team a few years ago; neither looked particularly overawed.

When Coleman was given a chance, he acquitted himself well pretty much straight away. I thought Stevens looked similarly able at Villa and was unfairly consigned to the scrapheap after picking up an injury at a bad time, despite being thrown into the deep end against some of the biggest teams in the league during a particularly challenging run for Villa.

I would've thought Everton and Aston Villa were considerably bigger teams than Southampton and Norwich now and particularly then.

Different positions but McClean, Long and Doyle adapted pretty much straight away as well.

There have been the flops like Roy O'Donovan but they weren't good enough for League One let alone the PL; Scales has already proved his worth internationally and in Europe on a consistent basis.

*make that hours ago
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 10:25pm
I'd love to know who else put in bids for him. Very underwhelming that a lad his age is joining Celtic's reserves. We have enough lads languishing there.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 20>
  Share Topic