You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Liam Miller

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 19>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 2:50pm
Very embarrassing this for the FAI. Only a 7,000 capacity for the main soccer ground in Irelands second capital. Just highlights again how useless they've been as an organisation.

The GAA should amend their rule that charitable events can rent out their venues. However I do agree turner's Cross is a better location for this. There will be a cracking atmosphere compared to if it was in pairc ui chaoimh. 
Sponsored Links

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 2:53pm
Why are they having it at 3pm on a Tuesday?

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

It was booked on the Monday.
superp View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 4:26pm
very strange time to have it alright.anyone know the reason for it being on a Tuesday during the day??
irish to the core
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 4:43pm
Note the lad the holding the trophy below...guess what stadium this picture was taken in...an absolute joke of decision that really has me angry 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by superp superp wrote:

very strange time to have it alright.anyone know the reason for it being on a Tuesday during the day??
Because there will be a big corporate night after the game. €4k per table.
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 9:52pm
Could they use Musgrave Park or whatever it's called now 

Munster rugby would be willing to allow use I imagine 

Obv it would not sell out half of PUC but it would open up a lot of possibilities for what is a new stadium but the old traditional lads of the GAA won't allow it 
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 10:16pm

Keep the pitch fresh for City?
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

Keep the pitch fresh for City?

There's a big charity night on after the match at city hall so I'd assume that starts early enough and would want the match over and done with by 6pm
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 11:58pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

I wouldn't disagree that the system, in practice, doesn't work as well as designed. If people engaged more, it might not be the case. That said, the alternative would be an organisation run from the top down with one person having a disproportionate amount of power to run thing as they like. Ring any bells for anybody ???

Don't buy that whatsoever. I take the point on people engaging more, but that is a matter for GAA members only. The alternative is a thing called common sense, not a dictatorship. It's very clear that the opinions of the club/county officer brigade are completely out of step with both the average GAA member and GAA non-members who also contribute to the GAA financially nonetheless, and not just on this particular matter, so you wouldn't imagine that it would take a great deal of recognising. 

I see Micheál Martin has criticised the GAA this evening, which is surely a sign this outcome is going in one direction, nobody better than FF politicians to tell you which way the wind is blowing. The attitude can be summed up by the fact they went for legal advice (anyone know of another organisation or individuals within it fond of hiding behind legal advice ???) to back up their stance, when in fact they should have been looking for legal advice to argue why it could and should have been done. They'll be dragged into this century yet, leaving only the Catholic Church and the DUP behind them. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2018 at 1:23am
Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

Could they use Musgrave Park or whatever it's called now 

Munster rugby would be willing to allow use I imagine 

Obv it would not sell out half of PUC but it would open up a lot of possibilities for what is a new stadium but the old traditional lads of the GAA won't allow it 
Capacity isn't much bigger than Turner's Cross, approximately 8,000 according to wikipedia.
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2018 at 7:03pm
Game now going ahead in PUC, according to some journo from the Cork Evening Echo. 

No dictatorship required, no one man calling the shots, and the world will still be much the same (fcuked) on Wednesday morning. 

On the legal thing (also beloved of other organisations from time to time) - someone on the twitter machine made a valid point, who exactly was going to sue the GAA if they 'broke' their own rules by allowing the game ? Themselves ? They aren't actually answerable to anyone in choosing what to do or not to do with their own property. All fairly nonsensical, but at least some bit of sense has been located at some level. 

I wonder will Frank buy a ticket now that it's all been cleared..................

eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2018 at 9:01pm
I'm no gaa lover. They can definitely do a lot of things better, starting next congress meeting to change a few rules that reflect the feeling of the average grassroot member. They've given into the calls and made the right decision. 

Now the FAI on the other hand. It's embarrassing they need a dig out from the GAA. Terrible facilities around the country but no issue paying themselves big money.

The only positive from this fiasco is it was front page news for a day or two. Maximum publicity possible which should ensure a bigger crowd then would have originally turned up. 
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2018 at 9:36pm
Fake news! Meeting happening Monday instead. Imagine it’ll happen though.
The Big Toe Area View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Big Toe Area Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2018 at 1:56am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Game now going ahead in PUC, according to some journo from the Cork Evening Echo. 

No dictatorship required, no one man calling the shots, and the world will still be much the same (fcuked) on Wednesday morning. 

On the legal thing (also beloved of other organisations from time to time) - someone on the twitter machine made a valid point, who exactly was going to sue the GAA if they 'broke' their own rules by allowing the game ? Themselves ? They aren't actually answerable to anyone in choosing what to do or not to do with their own property. All fairly nonsensical, but at least some bit of sense has been located at some level. 

I wonder will Frank buy a ticket now that it's all been cleared..................

My reading of it was that the legal advice was relating to the e30 million grant given to the GAA, not whether the game would be breaking their own rules.

bogball88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogball88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2018 at 11:32pm
Bernard Flynn reporting that an agreement has been reached to stage the game at PuC, hopefully this is true
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2018 at 12:14am
Originally posted by eireland eireland wrote:

Very embarrassing this for the FAI. Only a 7,000 capacity for the main soccer ground in Irelands second capital. Just highlights again how useless they've been as an organisation.

There are many things the FAI falls short on, but not having yet another empty stadium in Cork (or Limerick or Waterford) isn't one of them. Every eejit in this country seems to want a stadium for nearly themselves, just in case of the one off occasion every 10 years that it might be required. This country is full of the fcukin things, and most of them are empty for more than half the year. 

Turners Cross may have a relatively small capacity, but its only being filled to approaching that in the past few years, it more or less perfectly suits Cork City's needs, Musgrave Park is rarely filled either, Pairc Ui Rinn is rarely sold out, even the shiny new PUC has yet to hold a capacity crowd, and that probably won't happen until Cork play someone there in a Munster final. In Limerick, Thomond only sells out for a handful of European rugby games & the odd Leinster match, while the Gaelic Grounds has never actually been full to capacity since the JP sponsored refurbishment. 

But you think the FAI should have another stadium there ? Point out how the economics of that might work, and try remember that Liverpool or Man U's reserves can't play there every week. 

9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2018 at 8:16am
Municipal stadiums are the only way to go in a country of our size, PuC being empty 90% of the year is not utilizing what they’ve got, especially when 30mill of state money was used. 

As a country of 5 million people we’ve got far too many stadiums, sadly the GAA hold the keys to them and it’s still 1890 in their top brass’ minds. 

Looking at the struggle Pats are having, I think it should be written into contract, that any GAA stadium receiving government funding needs to open its doors. 

This them vs us argument is from the dark ages 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 19>
  Share Topic