Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Liam Miller

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Inspector Gadget

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 7:19pm

Posted on 15 July 2011 at 9:00 am by Luke O'Neill
Tags: #Aleague, Liam Miller, Perth Glory

Liam-Miller-is-excited-about-the-new-season-with-Perth-Glory

Liam Miller knew little about A-League football before signing for Perth Glory last month but after just a week with Western Australia’s only top-flight team he likes what he sees.

“I didn’t know too much to be honest but I found a bit more. It’s a fairly new league and an upcoming league as well,” he tells The Irish Echo, by phone, after finishing a gym session in Perth.

“It was pretty much a case of the manager [Ian Ferguson] phoning me one day and asking me was I interested.

“I had a day or two to think about it and I got back to him. It was pretty much as straightforward as that. And one month later, I’m here.”

Ferguson, who made 336 appearances for Glasgow Rangers as a player, gave Miller “a good assessment” of Perth.

Miller also sought advice from Jason Gavin, the Dublin-born defender playing with the Stirling Lions in the Football West State League, because the pair knew each other as team-mates in the Irish underage set-up.

“It was just one of those things, obviously I couldn’t come over when I was just going on what people were saying.

“[But] I haven’t really heard a bad thing about the place. And the football as well … it’s a good league.”

Miller arrived with his wife and three children, aged six, three and 18 months, just a week before speaking to The Irish Echo.

The Glory are helping the midfielder and his family to settle in, with advice on property hunting and school enrolment.

The Millers are just getting their heads around the time difference between Australia and Scotland.

“Obviously, with the kids as well, you’re all trying to synchronise and sleep at the same time.

“We’re getting there slowly. Sometimes you feel like dozing off and you might have an hour or two nap in the afternoons …”

Still, Miller was suitably energised to play as an attacking midfielder in the Glory’s 9-4 win over the WA State team on July 5.

“I’ve done a few days training with the lads and I’ve enjoyed that,” he says.

“Obviously it’s in pre-season here and a long way to go until the season kicks off, but with the [friendly] games coming up the sessions have been pretty moderate.”

Miller is one of a number of new arrivals at the Glory, a club that has undergone a clear-out after finishing second from bottom last season.

:: New recruits

He is Glory’s ninth fresh recruit for next season, joining Danny Vukovic, Neil Young, Evan Berger, Dean Heffernan, Adam Hughes, Travis Dodd, New Zealand international Shane Smeltz and Jesse Makarounas.

“They seem like a really good bunch of lads, close-knit.

“There are similar guys there as well who are only just in the door.”

He and Smeltz are likely to form the attacking impetus of this reshaped Glory side. Miller is looking forward to the challenge.

“The manager said that I would be coming on board and there would be a couple of more fresh faces. He spoke to me about that.

“Now I’m just looking forward to it and hopefully trying to do as well as I can.”

As someone who has played for Manchester United, Celtic and the Republic of Ireland, what level of quality is Miller expecting from the A-League?

“I just expect it to be a tough league. I don’t expect it to be an easy league.

“Again, I’m not 100 per cent sure. [From] training with the lads, there’s quality there.”

Miller put in a good performance as Celtic beat the Glory 2-0 on Saturday, July 9. The Glasgow club had started their Australian tour with an embarrassing 1-0 loss to the Central Coast Mariners on July 2.

Miller mused on the strange twist of fate that matched him against the club which gave him his first break as an 18-year-old back in 2000.

“It’s a funny one,” said Miller.

“You travel all the way over here and, this being my new club, and then it’s funny that’s the first club you play against.”

Geographically, the A-League is far from the traditional shop window for international call-ups.

Miller is not expecting a call from Giovanni Trapattoni any time soon.

He didn’t consider the international set-up when moving to Perth.

“Well, I never got a call in the two years when I was in Scotland and I thought I did well when I was up there so, again, I didn’t let that influence my decision in any way.

“I’m just looking to enjoy my football out here and do as well as I can for the Glory.”

Sponsored Links

The-Scientist View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The-Scientist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 9:13pm
Got a free ticket for the Celtic game because I wouldn't pay to watch those scumbags but anyway miller was motm and was the only player to take out! Celtic were absolute rubbish!

Stirling lions have a handy team Jason having shane Robinson and ian Anthony all former full time players
Just out of the Joy
The-Scientist View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The-Scientist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 9:13pm
f**king iPhone.

Take = stand out
Just out of the Joy
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2016 at 10:36pm
We are so excited to announce our signing of LIAM MILLER!! 👏🏽⚽️🎉 bit.ly/1UaJJoy
uncle sam View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle sam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2016 at 10:51am
third tier of America, LOI must be a lot worse than we think
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2016 at 12:31pm
He is 35 ffs. Anyway, he wasn't going to play much in the LOI.
el2nz View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el2nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 5:19pm
Appears to have moved into coaching with Real Salt Lake's Jr team.

http://www.rslsoapbox.com/2017/6/12/15789350/liam-miller-assistant-coach-real-monarchs-slc
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2020 at 10:36am
Two years ago today since Liam passed away. RIP
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic