You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Liam Miller Memorial Match- Tues 25th Sep

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 10111213>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2022 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

I went last night and I'm by no means a rugby fan but the rugby crowd did a number of things last night that were a huge step in the right direction for Cork. 
1) They showed the GAA up on how to create an atmosphere. Have never seen PUC like that before. 2) They showcased Páirc Uí Chaoimh to the wider sporting community. It is a fantastic stadium and 3) They showed the PUC can host anything and should look at holding more sports. There's no reason why they shouldn't be looking at holding a senior international game there sometime. Wet and windy Thursday in Cork and it was sold out for a rugby friendly. Get the football team in and you'd get the exact same crowd and not be left with a half empty Aviva.
The problem with most games these day is that they're contracted to be somewhere, people have paid for corporate boxes, naming rights, 10 year seating to Croker/Landsdowne so it's tough to move games.

The big one now would be if Munster gets a "home country" game in European Cup, would they be able to keep it in Munster rather than having to go to Dublin every time.
Sponsored Links

tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2022 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Originally posted by rebelbrowser rebelbrowser wrote:

I was in the premium last night. Would actually prefer it to premium in the Aviva. Its comfortably up to holding an international but I agree it should be a lot better again for the money spent. Uncovered terraces are a joke in 100m stadium.
I like the Uncovered terrraces, they create a much better atmosphere than the all seater bowls. Nobody's ever said he Bombonera should cover and put in seats.

not a lot of rain in Argentina either!

All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
drog addict View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Castleknocker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drog addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2022 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

I was in the premium last night. Would actually prefer it to premium in the Aviva. Its comfortably up to holding an international but I agree it should be a lot better again for the money spent. Uncovered terraces are a joke in 100m stadium.
I like the Uncovered terrraces, they create a much better atmosphere than the all seater bowls. Nobody's ever said he Bombonera should cover and put in seats.

Plus the fans are on top of the pitch and not two miles away
Chips don't bounce
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2022 at 1:51pm
To get that stadium up to standard to host the odd competitive international football or euros they would need to demolish the two ends, build them closer to the pitch,and put in good quality seated stands with a roof and corporate boxes etc..  Then after the Euros they would have to be demolished again so the GAA pitch length could be put back.

The most ridiculous thing I saw was int he Liam Miller testimonial they played on an oversize football pitch similar to the dimensions of a Gaelic pitch. An Irish solution to an Irish problemLOL  Just put the correct size pitch in!
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
shakeyshamrock View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shakeyshamrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2022 at 1:59pm

Buenos Aires gets about 48 inches of rain annually which is the same as Cork and considerably more than Dublin..
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2022 at 2:01pm

The problem with most games these day is that they're contracted to be somewhere, people have paid for corporate boxes, naming rights, 10 year seating to Croker/Landsdowne so it's tough to move games.

The big one now would be if Munster gets a "home country" game in European Cup, would they be able to keep it in Munster rather than having to go to Dublin every time.

With the Aviva I think the IRFU can't move senior games away because of the sponsorship with Aviva. Could assume it's the same with the FAI. There's probably ways around that like classing the games as non test matches were caps aren't given out like Ireland A games, testimonials, B games for the FAI. Was that Ireland game in Turners Cross before Euro 2016 a full senior international with caps?

Munster Rugby should try and get their next home quarter final played in Cork because they've got control of that. What you pay in rent you likely make up in extra ticket sales.

Semi finals might be different because I know before the semis were organised by the EPCR, who the IRFU are part of and any use of the Aviva for semi finals meant the EPCR had to pay the IRFU rent for use of the stadium. So they likely won't want to lose rent to the GAA.

Edited by J89 - 11 Nov 2022 at 2:02pm
rebelbrowser View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebelbrowser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2022 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

With the Aviva I think the IRFU can't move senior games away because of the sponsorship with Aviva. Could assume it's the same with the FAI. There's probably ways around that like classing the games as non test matches were caps aren't given out like Ireland A games, testimonials, B games for the FAI. Was that Ireland game in Turners Cross before Euro 2016 a full senior international with caps?

Munster Rugby should try and get their next home quarter final played in Cork because they've got control of that. What you pay in rent you likely make up in extra ticket sales.

Semi finals might be different because I know before the semis were organised by the EPCR, who the IRFU are part of and any use of the Aviva for semi finals meant the EPCR had to pay the IRFU rent for use of the stadium. So they likely won't want to lose rent to the GAA.

Yeah, Belarus match was a full international alright. Ireland also played full internationals in Thomond too a few years back (was at a grim 3-0 loss to Australia if memory serves). There are ways and means. PuC could be our Sevilla, the stadium we bring certain teams to in order to discomfort them. I mean Sevilla and Cork are so similar in so many ways..... well sort of...... well a bit anyway.....ish....
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2022 at 3:04pm

Yeah, Belarus match was a full international alright. Ireland also played full internationals in Thomond too a few years back (was at a grim 3-0 loss to Australia if memory serves). There are ways and means. PuC could be our Sevilla, the stadium we bring certain teams to in order to discomfort them. I mean Sevilla and Cork are so similar in so many ways..... well sort of...... well a bit anyway.....ish....

Aviva was still being redeveloped when we played in TP.
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2022 at 3:04pm
Disgraceful that they were allowed to spend 100 million euro to build a substandard stadium.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2022 at 3:07pm

This was while lanswdowne was being rebuilt. 
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2022 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by shakeyshamrock shakeyshamrock wrote:

Buenos Aires gets about 48 inches of rain annually which is the same as Cork and considerably more than Dublin..

One of the reasons La Bombonera have such open stands is for the away fans to be unsettled from the elements. Away fans always stay in the highest tier and are subject to blinding sun or rain. They have the away dressing room directly under the main home terrace so the fans jumping around scare the sh*t out of the opposition Clap
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
rebelbrowser View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebelbrowser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2022 at 3:31pm
Apologies, thought Thomand matches were more recent.

More generally though, I think it's a better stadium than a lot of you think.  A lot of the stuff you don't see - dressing rooms, media facilities, PA system, premium level,  etc are excellent. By way of illustration I was at a talk by the CEO of Vodafone who put in the mobile connectivity and she said it was a state of the art system more advanced than most stadiums in the world  - and to be fair who can stream thinks from your seat whilst in other stadia (CP for example) you can struggle to get texts.

It could hold Euros a lot easier than TJ says I suspect. You could put bucket seats in if necessary presumably. A roof is not a necessity. Nor would you need to move the pitch - those of us who were at the Saudi match in the 2002 WC will remember the stand behind the goal in Yokohama was about 100m from the pitch (the opposite goal was miles away) and it has held a WC and Rugby WC final. 

I haven't researched this but I suspect far more basic stadiums held matches in Greece 04 and Portugal 08.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2022 at 3:36pm

More generally though, I think it's a better stadium than a lot of you think.  A lot of the stuff you don't see - dressing rooms, media facilities, PA system, premium level,  etc are excellent. By way of illustration I was at a talk by the CEO of Vodafone who put in the mobile connectivity and she said it was a state of the art system more advanced than most stadiums in the world  - and to be fair who can stream thinks from your seat whilst in other stadia (CP for example) you can struggle to get texts.

It could hold Euros a lot easier than TJ says I suspect. You could put bucket seats in if necessary presumably. A roof is not a necessity. Nor would you need to move the pitch - those of us who were at the Saudi match in the 2002 WC will remember the stand behind the goal in Yokohama was about 100m from the pitch (the opposite goal was miles away) and it has held a WC and Rugby WC final. 

I haven't researched this but I suspect far more basic stadiums held matches in Greece 04 and Portugal 08.
Been discussed numerous times on this forum - Bucket seats aren't allowed anymore. Long since been the case. The hospitality and media facilities are nowhere close to good enough to meet the standards for a major tournament. A stadium has to be UEFA Category 4 to host a game at the Euros - If you google the specs of that category it's clear where the issues are. 

Edited by Borussia - 11 Nov 2022 at 3:38pm
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2022 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Disgraceful that they were allowed to spend 100 million euro to build a substandard stadium.
It's not substandard, it's a perfect GAA stadium. They never aimed for UEFA Cat 3 or 4
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2022 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Been discussed numerous times on this forum - Bucket seats aren't allowed anymore. Long since been the case. The hospitality and media facilities are nowhere close to good enough to meet the standards for a major tournament. A stadium has to be UEFA Category 4 to host a game at the Euros - If you google the specs of that category it's clear where the issues are. 

I reckon he means seating can be installed easily like it was done on Hill 16, not the scaffolding job that LR used to have.

I haven't been in it since it was redeveloped but can't see why it's getting abuse off people on here. The pitch was a disgrace when it opened, and I think Croke Park had to take over to sort that but done now. It's fulfills the purpose it was designed for.
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2022 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

I reckon he means seating can be installed easily like it was done on Hill 16, not the scaffolding job that LR used to have.

I haven't been in it since it was redeveloped but can't see why it's getting abuse off people on here. The pitch was a disgrace when it opened, and I think Croke Park had to take over to sort that but done now. It's fulfills the purpose it was designed for.

It doesn't really matter which type it is - UEFA don't allow this any more for major tournaments. 
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2022 at 4:32pm

It doesn't really matter which type it is - UEFA don't allow this any more for major tournaments. 

I don't know the UEFA rules but any seating installed would be permanent seats making the terraces uncovered stands. Just more than likely if it was ever done that they'd reverse it back.

Edited by sausy - 11 Nov 2022 at 4:32pm
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2022 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

I don't know the UEFA rules but any seating installed would be permanent seats making the terraces uncovered stands. Just more than likely if it was ever done that they'd reverse it back.
Cant see any issue if the sets are properly installed and foxed to the structure. Every seat in every stadium is bolted to the concrete. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 10111213>
  Share Topic