Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Liam Miller Memorial Match- Tues 25th Sep

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2022 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

Originally posted by irelandfan irelandfan wrote:

Not much Issues about the game tonight 

Good to see but as our bids to host/Co host major tournaments showed the GAA stadia is really not at world stage standard bar Croke Park and maybe the new Casement Park 

Pairc Ui Caoimh nowhere near standard.  Its a good stadium for GAA standards because most of their grounds are little more than a field with a  few crumbling terraces
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Sponsored Links

Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2022 at 11:50pm
Did a great job tonight very easy to get in and out.
Good atmosphere plenty food and drink on offer a step in the right direction 
1874eire View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1874eire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2022 at 2:01am
Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

Took me an hour to get from Dunkettle into the city. Still think it's a bit of a mickey mouse stadium and it should never have been built there. How they spent 100 million on it is beyond me. 
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2022 at 7:41am
Originally posted by 1874eire 1874eire wrote:

Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

Took me an hour to get from Dunkettle into the city. Still think it's a bit of a mickey mouse stadium and it should never have been built there. How they spent 100 million on it is beyond me. 
I was referring to the ground itself.
The works on the dunkettle are slowing the whole place down at the moment.

I got out home granted going west effortlessly 
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2022 at 9:35am
I went last night and I'm by no means a rugby fan but the rugby crowd did a number of things last night that were a huge step in the right direction for Cork. 
1) They showed the GAA up on how to create an atmosphere. Have never seen PUC like that before. 2) They showcased Páirc Uí Chaoimh to the wider sporting community. It is a fantastic stadium and 3) They showed the PUC can host anything and should look at holding more sports. There's no reason why they shouldn't be looking at holding a senior international game there sometime. Wet and windy Thursday in Cork and it was sold out for a rugby friendly. Get the football team in and you'd get the exact same crowd and not be left with a half empty Aviva.

The big downside with PUC of course is the location. A 25 minute walk from town and its exactly a route littered with bars and public transport. When they knocked it down and rebuilt it a few years ago, they had an ample opportunity to look at rebuilding it on some of the derelict sites along the quays and never even considered it, a wasted opportunity. 
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2022 at 9:37am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Good to see but as our bids to host/Co host major tournaments showed the GAA stadia is really not at world stage standard bar Croke Park and maybe the new Casement Park 

Pairc Ui Caoimh nowhere near standard.  Its a good stadium for GAA standards because most of their grounds are little more than a field with a  few crumbling terraces
It is comfortably up to standard. It's one of the newest stadiums I. The country ffs LOL
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2022 at 9:39am
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

I went last night and I'm by no means a rugby fan but the rugby crowd did a number of things last night that were a huge step in the right direction for Cork. 
1) They showed the GAA up on how to create an atmosphere. Have never seen PUC like that before. 2) They showcased Páirc Uí Chaoimh to the wider sporting community. It is a fantastic stadium and 3) They showed the PUC can host anything and should look at holding more sports. There's no reason why they shouldn't be looking at holding a senior international game there sometime. Wet and windy Thursday in Cork and it was sold out for a rugby friendly. Get the football team in and you'd get the exact same crowd and not be left with a half empty Aviva.

The big downside with PUC of course is the location. A 25 minute walk from town and its exactly a route littered with bars and public transport. When they knocked it down and rebuilt it a few years ago, they had an ample opportunity to look at rebuilding it on some of the derelict sites along the quays and never even considered it, a wasted opportunity. 

Apart from the fact that they have to hold the games in LR. 
And when there is debt to pay off, they won't be paying somebody else for the use of their stadium. Maybe an under 21s game might be more realistic.

Was the atmosphere really that good? Didn't really come across on TV. 
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2022 at 10:01am

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

It is comfortably up to standard. It's one of the newest stadiums I. The country ffs LOL

Its a poor stadium by football standards.  Its fine for GAA.

There's no windbreakers on the main stand, the stand opposite is very basic, and the two ends are uncovered terraces for starters.  Compare it to any League 1 or Championship  team's stadium and its terrible.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2022 at 10:06am
what was the price of tickets?
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2022 at 10:07am
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

what was the price of tickets?
Terrace was €20
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
drog addict View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Castleknocker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drog addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2022 at 10:29am
Has it ever been full for a gaa game? 
Chips don't bounce
rebelbrowser View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebelbrowser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2022 at 10:57am
Originally posted by drog addict drog addict wrote:

Nope. The Munster Council have never given it a Munster Hurling Final for example, lots of politics involved.

I was in the premium last night. Would actually prefer it to premium in the Aviva. Its comfortably up to holding an international but I agree it should be a lot better again for the money spent. Uncovered terraces are a joke in 100m stadium.

As for atmosphere last night, it was fine but nothing remotely special. About 10k there for the rugby the rest of us there for the occasion. If I went to an Ireland football match and was sat next to someone who behaved as I did last night (going for beers during the game, talking away to people mid game) I'd want to shoot me! Quite liberating to be at a match where you aren't really arsed actually. That went for about 30k of us there but we jumped on the bandwagon when they were winning. Thats what rugby is all about for most anyway!

You'd have a rocking atmosphere for a football International though, Cork is essentially a hurling and (association) football City.
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2022 at 11:02am
Originally posted by rebelbrowser rebelbrowser wrote:

Nope. The Munster Council have never given it a Munster Hurling Final for example, lots of politics involved.

I was in the premium last night. Would actually prefer it to premium in the Aviva. Its comfortably up to holding an international but I agree it should be a lot better again for the money spent. Uncovered terraces are a joke in 100m stadium.

As for atmosphere last night, it was fine but nothing remotely special. About 10k there for the rugby the rest of us there for the occasion. If I went to an Ireland football match and was sat next to someone who behaved as I did last night (going for beers during the game, talking away to people mid game) I'd want to shoot me! Quite liberating to be at a match where you aren't really arsed actually. That went for about 30k of us there but we jumped on the bandwagon when they were winning. Thats what rugby is all about for most anyway!

You'd have a rocking atmosphere for a football International though, Cork is essentially a hurling and (association) football City.
The 2021 munster final was held there but attendance was restricted due to covid.

It has been full for a GAA match aswell. Cork played Limerick in this year's Munster Championship and it was sold out. 
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
drog addict View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Castleknocker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drog addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2022 at 11:07am

Was in the premium for the Miller match and it was great. I wouldn't have an international match there as the pitch would be lost and add in that the rest of the ground isn't covered looses the atmosphere I think. Pain on the hole of a walk to get there with nothing about either. It has plenty of potential though.
Chips don't bounce
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2022 at 11:10am
Was told that when the stadium was being built, the GAA insisted on using local builders, electricians, plumbers, etc. Which is all well and good, but nobody realised that none of these workers had built a stadium until it was almost complete. They had to bring in workers with experience of stadium construction to redo a lot of it, which led to the delays and spiralling costs.
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
rebelbrowser View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebelbrowser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2022 at 11:13am

The 2021 munster final was held there but attendance was restricted due to covid.

It has been full for a GAA match aswell. Cork played Limerick in this year's Munster Championship and it was sold out. 

Don't think it was Sham. I was at that Limerick match. They kept releasing tickets in bits and bobs for some goddamn reason, so whilst a lot of the time ticketmaster made it seem sold out, the next day there would be loads of tickets. Terraces were definitely not full.  Can't find the attendance but the article at https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40850054.html broadly accords with my recollection 
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2022 at 12:46pm

Don't think it was Sham. I was at that Limerick match. They kept releasing tickets in bits and bobs for some goddamn reason, so whilst a lot of the time ticketmaster made it seem sold out, the next day there would be loads of tickets. Terraces were definitely not full.  Can't find the attendance but the article at https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40850054.html broadly accords with my recollection 
That game was a sambals for ticket sales. They sold them through clubs right up to the Thursday, so it was unavailable on ticketmaster till the Friday. It was Easter Sunday too so a lot who would ahve gone had plans made at that stage
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2022 at 12:47pm

I like the Uncovered terrraces, they create a much better atmosphere than the all seater bowls. Nobody's ever said he Bombonera should cover and put in seats.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213>
  Share Topic