You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Liam Kelly

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 42>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 11:27pm
Perhaps, but we aren't massively over-endowed with quality young players, especially with the ability Kelly possesses and the creativity he offers - something we're desperately crying out for. We can't afford to have a manager who throws caution to the wind on these matters. Kelly, a player who had previously expressed his pride at receiving an Ireland call-up, as been hung out to dry with sly insinuations about him wanting to defect, with no direct quotes given. Maybe he is considering his options, but is this going to help if we're serious about wanting him to stick with us?

It ought to be remembered that Hogan said similar things about wanting to get his fitness right first, and he decided to pursue an Ireland career. Clinton Morrison, took time to think things over before committing to us, initially declining a call-up.

This has been badly handled in a crass display of tactlessness from O'Neill.

Edited by NewtNewbie - 22 Mar 2018 at 11:29pm
Sponsored Links

Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 11:31pm
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

If this is true then O'Neill has been incredibly reckless in insinuating that he was considering jumping ship in favour of England. He's said similar things querying Rice's commitment. Rice has already accepted a call-up and is all ready to play tomorrow, having previously taken part in a training camp. It's almost as if he's willing it to happen. I just don't think he values a player like Kelly. Not an O'Neill player.

I firmly believe that a player should want to play for the country and have an affinity above all. That said, plenty have come to us late such as Andy Townsend and been incredible servants.

I don't believe that MON has done anything to make the likes of Grealish and now Kelly valued and wanted in the way that say Mick McCarthy would have. Whether that's down to how he feels about being manager of a country he didn't play for or whether that's just his style is debatable but I don't think he makes the effort.
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 11:39pm
Its not martins job to be going round trying to please these guys. If there not committed then call it like it is. Simple. We cant be going round begging these guys.
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 11:44pm
I said countless times about Scott Hogan when he was only on his way back to full fitness after a horrendous run of injuries that the last thing the chap needed was to be playing international football at that time and we shouldn't be making assumptions about his commitment.

Liam Kelly, as it's been pointed out is still a very young man who happens to be struggling for full fitness with niggling injuries, so his priority right now should be getting himself back to 100% and helping Reading stay up and then hopefully come the summer he will sort out his international career.

A lot of posters need to realize the modern football is nothing like Kevin Kilbane or Mick McCarthy, players who would have walking over broken glass to play for Ireland. Times have moved on and given how much we have benefited from "the grannyrule" I don't think we are in position to be overly bitter if another Grealish saga developed.

For what it's worth I think if Kelly is fully fit he will be in our next international squad (provided O'Neill gives him the opportunity and doesn't write him off) and I mean this in a sense that if he calls him up that he will accept and not decline. 
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 11:45pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Its not martins job to be going round trying to please these guys. If there not committed then call it like it is. Simple. We cant be going round begging these guys.

It's not that simple though. Never has been. Kidding yourself if you think it is.
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
willmcc83 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willmcc83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 7:56am
Originally posted by scottyccfc scottyccfc wrote:

So this fool kept other players out of Ireland squads for 4 years? Ridiculous waste of time. Its now time to stop this and only call up Irish born or domestic based players. If a foreign born player over 21 wants to declare then great.

This is as ridiculous as the calls in the 1980s to only play LOI players in the senior team
Time To Get Behind Mick & The Team
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 8:44am
Think it would be better if the Queens undergraduate kept his gob firmly shut on this matter considering his perception of commitment and loyalty.........
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 9:17am
Originally posted by John Wick John Wick wrote:

Im officially confused....does Kelly want to play for Ireland?
And why is MON trying to act so ridiculous...same with Rice situation...playing tonight and he still maintains he could well declare for England
At least you have come out, you have been unofficially confused for some time.
It really is quite a simple and easy solution that Kelly might want to play for both and that MON is showing empathy for boys who have to make what might be a difficult choice for them. It may even be personal in MON's case.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 9:30am

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Im officially confused....does Kelly want to play for Ireland?
And why is MON trying to act so ridiculous...same with Rice situation...playing tonight and he still maintains he could well declare for England

At least you have come out, you have been unofficially confused for some time.
It really is quite a simple and easy solution that Kelly might want to play for both and that MON is showing empathy for boys who have to make what might be a difficult choice for them. It may even be personal in MON's case.

So you're non the wiser either
Nothing wrong with being confused in life
No, none of us are. It is just some of us aren't confused!
arthur40 View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arthur40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 9:33am
..iv been saying this for so long now..i'll say it again..football and the players have changed..money rules like in everything else.. ..we have to get real and get these players tied down early..this rubbish about players who are  not committed..we dont want playing for us..its not that they dont want to play for us necessarily..they are young guys who's heads are being turned by money and the glory..we have to step up to whats happening quickly before we carry on hemorrhaging players
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 9:35am
Is your name a reference to the number of pints drunk before posting?
arthur40 View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arthur40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 10:05am
..make yr point..if you can?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 10:11am
Originally posted by arthur40 arthur40 wrote:

..make yr point..if you can?
And that's irony!
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 10:22am

MON is really making a balls of things....his handling of Kelly situation is strange...IF reports are correct...Rice situation regarding still not sure about allegencies are strange...also saying Maguire still has along way to go is very condescending

Or else could serve as more motivation for Maguire to keep performing well and scoring. He is in the first 6 months of his career back in England, should he just sit back and relax now?
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 10:30am
I would think the exact opposite. He has shown both lads that he is understanding of their situation, which, if true, makes Kelly's decision not to talk to him directly more bizarre.
Maguire has reached nowhere near his potential either.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 10:53am
You can say that again.
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 11:02am
Martin O'Neill: “I think wants to keep his options open at this minute. Obviously, he’s born in England and wants to keep those options open and that’s fine. I did actually leave a message or two and he got back to me by text."

As I understand it, England was never mentioned in any communication and that doesn't reflect well on O'Neill.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 11:14am
Originally posted by The GerK The GerK wrote:

Martin O'Neill: “I think wants to keep his options open at this minute. Obviously, he’s born in England and wants to keep those options open and that’s fine. I did actually leave a message or two and he got back to me by text."

As I understand it, England was never mentioned in any communication and that doesn't reflect well on O'Neill.

Has MON had communication from him or from his agent? I would imagine the agent holds a different view from the player and the communication seems to have been largely through the agent.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 42>
  Share Topic