You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lee O'Connor

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2021 at 2:36pm
Scully has had a great season for Lincoln playing a division above O'Connor - 25 goalscoring contributions (16 goals and 9 assists).

Not judging O'Connor on goalscoring contributions as a defender obviously but he hasn't looked up to the standard of League 2 in general for the most part. Occasional glimpses that there's a player there, and he's certainly technically capable as he has shown at underage. But he has followed up a poor loan spell at Partick with an unconvincing one at Tranmere.

It's night and day between the two of them.

Hard to know where O'Connor goes from here at club level. Unlikely to be within a mile of the Celtic first team. Falls into that category of not good enough for the better divisions and not physical enough for the lower divisions. Also just doesn't look a good enough right back. Would be better focusing on playing as a defensive central midfielder I think. His better performances seem to have been in that position.

Sponsored Links

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2022 at 5:25pm
Awarded Man of the Match last night. Seems to be going great guns in central midfield ATM.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2022 at 5:33pm
Yep have thought for a while that, if he is going to come good, it will be in central midfield, not right back. He just doesn't get up and down the pitch enough for a modern day full back whereas his tidy use of possession and defensive abilities suit the role of a holding midfield player. There might be hope for him yet if he focuses on that position from now on.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2022 at 6:18pm
I was going to say he's not related to a modern day full back and I'm saying that only having seen him place once at RB for Tranmere. Know him from his time at Man Utd as a Utd fan I always had him down as a Daley Blind type ball playing sitting CM/CB. Hasn't the pace for the modern RB

Nice to see him get such positive reviews if he keeps it up hopefully he might manufacture a League 1 move back at Tranmere or another club next season. He has a bit of potential in that CM position.
greenshoots View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2022 at 6:18pm
yeah a couple of people pointed out that holding CM could be a role for him. Long way to go in that regard but if he can keep his spot with Tranmere for the rest of the season, at least it gives him a way out of Celtic if they dont fancy him in the summer.
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 11:28am
Signs a permanent deal with Tranmere. Glad to see him get out of Celtic.

Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 11:32am
Originally posted by greenshoots greenshoots wrote:

Good news.
Wonder if he'll still be deployed as a FB in our 21's for the rest of this campaign (his last at this level) or if he'll be competition for Kilkenny or Coventry in one of those midfield berths?

Edited by Fozz - 25 Jan 2022 at 11:32am
SC92 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 11:51am
Good move for him, he's still young and if he impresses he can move up the levels.

Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Good news.
Wonder if he'll still be deployed as a FB in our 21's for the rest of this campaign (his last at this level) or if he'll be competition for Kilkenny or Coventry in one of those midfield berths?

I hope he isn't first choice RB would much rather be watching Ebosele get minutes. Think we have much better CMs too... he could he there as a utility player as he is experiencd though.
Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by SC92 SC92 wrote:

Good move for him, he's still young and if he impresses he can move up the levels.

Good news.

I hope he isn't first choice RB would much rather be watching Ebosele get minutes. Think we have much better CMs too... he could he there as a utility player as he is experiencd though.
Festy is playing 2 levels higher than O Connor and could be a huge player for us. its a complete no brainer to give him the nod going forward. 
ChesterCopperpot View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChesterCopperpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 12:18pm
Good to see he got out of Celtic after seemingly not being given much opportunity, but a move to League 2 for one of Ireland's highly rated U21's doesn't instill confidence. Hopefully it works out for him
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 12:26pm
The Tranmere manager referred to himself as a midfielder/right back so presumably he sees his first as a midfielder.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by ChesterCopperpot ChesterCopperpot wrote:

Good to see he got out of Celtic after seemingly not being given much opportunity, but a move to League 2 for one of Ireland's highly rated U21's doesn't instill confidence. Hopefully it works out for him

True enough but it has to be a positive now he is with a team where he plays weekly.
They are also loooking good for a promotion push so a decent chance he'll be in L1 next season where he can test himself further.
Slow and steady progress if it happens and has to be a positive considing his career had tanked in Glasgow.

J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 12:50pm

Good news.

Festy can also play higher up the pitch on the wing too. Would rather see him at RW over the other wingers we've got or sticking a midfielder out there like Crawford has often done.

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 8:46pm
Good to see them back him with a permanent signing. The move to centre mid could be the making of him, he's just not a good enough right back unfortunately. But his career looks to be in a much better place now than it was 6 or 12 months ago.

Lee went a very traditional route in terms of the clubs he joined as a young player - Man United and Celtic. Would probably have been the way to go for a developing Irish player in the 80s but these days the better moves tend to be to the likes of Stoke, Derby etc - "big clubs" but ones where first team chances are more gettable for younger players.
SC92 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Good news.

Festy can also play higher up the pitch on the wing too. Would rather see him at RW over the other wingers we've got or sticking a midfielder out there like Crawford has often done.

I would like to see the 21s play with wingbacks in a similar formation to the senior team. So Festy as RWB for me and we have a few decent LWB prospects, also have decent options at midfield and striker ... our wingers prospects aren't really great so 352/3412 for me.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2022 at 8:08pm
Some great midfield play in the lead up to Tranmere's goal vs Newcastle there.
We're decent enough..
Loc View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2022 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Some great midfield play in the lead up to Tranmere's goal vs Newcastle there.

I was just coming here to say the same thing. Great ball.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2022 at 8:13pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic