Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Latest YBIG Blog
    Posted: 28 Oct 2008 at 6:23pm
http://www.ybig.ie/news_detail.asp?id=542&sectionId=3

CLAP-TRAP(ATTONI)

by BRIAN P FARRELL

With an almost impeccable sense of mis-timing, Our Beloved Leader, Signor Trapattoni, announced on October 16th, (the day after Croke Park had hosted another episode of ‘The Great Escape‘) that there was no place now, nor even in the foreseeable future, for Sunderland’s Andy Reid, as one of his midfield options. That same day, it was revealed that Blackburn’s Steven Reid is out for the rest of the season.

The statement from the great man, as reported in the media, is enough to make the hairs stand out on the back of my neck.

Andy Reid’s future role with Ireland is, apparently, to be confined to skirmishes with ‘lesser’ opposition…..which, translated into meaningful English, says Andy can look forward to a very long rest, collecting splinters and warming his arse on the bench for the duration of this World Cup campaign.

If we ever have the good fortune to cross swords with The Aleutian Islands, Mongolia or The Outer Hebrides, however, his name will be the first one on the team-sheet!

Unlike you doubting Thomases, I can well understand Trapattoni’s stance: the man is convinced we are positively choking on a plethora of top-class midfielders: Glenn Whelan (‘I will make him my Gattuso’)  was spotted sporadically running around willingly, but to no positive effect;  Darron Gibson (still serving his apprenticeship at Old Trafford)  got the sharp end of the stick by being hurled (a veritable tyro) into a match we had to win; Stephen Hunt and Liam Miller were left sitting twiddling their thumbs while our midfield was being obliterated in the second half .

It is patently unfair to ask two wide players (Duff and McGeady) to multi-task and carry midfield, when the two players picked for the job are not cutting the mustard.

Meanwhile, poacher-turned-gamekeeper (Brady) sat stoically watching this tableau unfold, but if he had any misgivings about our tactics, he kept them to himself. Trapattoni’s final stroke of genius was to put on Caleb Folan (in the 90th minute) to replace the gallant but exhausted Kevin Doyle, who had run himself to a standstill. The boss doesn’t like using subs.

It says a lot about the current state of our game when we have trouble at home putting away a team (Cyprus) ranked 80th by FIFA, and couldn’t beat a team ranked 117th (Montenegro).
Not so long ago on these pages, I voiced serious doubts over the manager’s whole approach to how a team should play. I made the point that creativity and adventurous attacking  play were likely to be sacrificed on the altar of pragmatism, and so it has come to pass.

Trapattoni can waffle on all he likes about ‘wardrobes‘ (Richard Dunne), and placing an imposing physical presence in midfield, but if he continues to eschew skilful creativity, it is not going to be pretty to watch, and, somewhere down the line, we will be found out.

Bulgaria and Italy are not likely to be half as profligate as the Cypriots were, in front of goal.

The Irish manager’s stated philosophy of Play the Odds, depend on free-kicks, set-pieces and corners, snatch a goal and defend like demons is, to me, a reincarnation of the worst excesses of catenaccio,  a system of playing in the 50s and 60s which endeared the Italian clubs, and the Azzuri, to no-one.

It is negativity taken to the limit, (football nihilism, if you like) and is an insult to those of us who like to watch and appreciate the game as it should be played.

We are rapidly approaching  a scenario which will not make for pleasant viewing: Stephen Ireland (playing consistently well, week in, week out, for Manchester City) prefers to remain in  self-imposed exile; there is the very likely prospect of Andy Reid’s patience wearing thin (with the same outcome) and Steven Reid, the bedrock of Trapattoni’s master-plan, is out for the next six months.

Damien Duff and Aiden McGeady, two of the genuinely creative players we possess, will need the stamina of marathon runners, flogging themselves ragged out wide, to camouflage the lack of imagination in central midfield.

Keep saying the prayers that the mainstays of the team, Given, Dunne, Doyle, Keane, Duff and McGeady stay injury-free between now and next February.  Steve Finnan should be welcomed back with open arms.

Sponsored Links

brianie View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2008 at 6:25pm
Only 2 Words There LEE CARSLEYThumbs%20Up
ITS KEANE YES

YBIG You Can Please some of the People Some of the Time But Not All of The People All of The Time
Christonabike View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2008 at 1:51pm
Quote With an almost impeccable sense of mis-timing, Our Beloved Leader, Signor Trapattoni, announced on October 16th (...) that there was no place now, nor even in the foreseeable future, for Sunderland’s Andy Reid, as one of his midfield options.

Come on lads. I know that this blog feature is voluntary, but you have to have some standards about what can and cannot go on the homepage or people wont take this site seriously.

I can't find a single source (electronic, print or television)  that confirms the above opening statement as the verbatim truth, so what you're left with is unsubstantiated opinion offered as fact in the first line, and then a negative mood in general through the next few paragraphs.

It then degenerates into less of a formulated blog and more a series of half thought-out tired soundbites and obvious statements, which are seemingly completely unrelated to the opening paragraph.

Not great. Must try harder, YBIG.... As far as this blog is concerned, If there's nothing worth printing, don't print anything.
packiesglove View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2008 at 2:35pm
look lads (and ladies!), getting sick to the teeth of calls of average/good players that trapp is not picking. lets start at the beginning, these are the players if fit are certs in our XI.....GIVEN, DUNNE, DUFF AND KEANE (manchester not available)......4 bits of real quality playing at the top level. after that, the rest are average to above average, and yes that includes andy reid.........he's playing at sunderland, not real madrid, and aint a certain starter for them....trapp's picking eleven players to get results, end of, so come on and get behind Gio Thumbs%20Up
When you're chewing on life's gristle, don't worry give a whistle....
The Count View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2008 at 4:27pm
its a fans points of view and creates a discussion so....
Christonabike View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2008 at 4:52pm
With respect, Count, the only discussion it's creating is about the facts contained in it not being researched researched enough for the usual blog standard - There are 'facts' in there that are completely unverifiable externally, and the point regarding Montenegro's ranking is ill-informed consdidering their short existence, just to give you 2 examples.

I respect the fact that you allow member contributions, and that you allow anyone to can nail whatever colours they like to the mast, you just have to make sure that they're nailed in straight, cos if they arent it reflects badly on the site.

I often read the contributions before I joined the forum, but if that one was to be my first one to read , I don't think I'd have bothered coming back. Most of the blustery opinion is culled from the gutter press, it's too negative (which is not necessarily a bad thing for a user blog on its own) , and contains too much wrong or uncertain info (Which unfortunately is).

Just my opinion. Big%20smile
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2008 at 5:38pm
Haven't read all the points here right through yet
But I think Trap did day that there is no place for Reid in his plans, I will dig out the quotes
Donal Cullen View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2008 at 11:20am
Its another point of view which is what this site is all about. I don't agree with it necessarially but an interesting read. (pun intended!)
There are friendlier places to drink.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic