Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kilkenny resign from league
    Posted: 18 Jan 2008 at 8:29am

Kilkenny resign from league

Paul O'Hehir
Friday, January 18, 2008

from the irish times

Sporting Fingal are likely to accept an FAI invitation to replace Kilkenny City in the League of Ireland after the club quit senior football today.

First Division outfit Kilkenny withdrew their league membership due to "a lack of finance and inadequate support".  The club cited the lack of appetite for senior soccer in the city and county.

Despite his best efforts to keep the club above water, chairman Jim Rhattigan said the time had come for "a reality check".

Club officials stressed today's decision was not easily arrived at but said the best interests of Kilkenny City were being served.

"We thank those who have supported us since our election to the League of Ireland in 1985 and if circumstances change we will consider reapplying for membership of the League in the future," a statement read.

Although Kilkenny struggled to attract local crowds, the club possess one of the finer league grounds in Buckley Park.

Irish youth international matches are regularly played at the venue and Kilkenny officials will now turn their attention to preparing the ground for next month's under-17 game against Finland.

"Kilkenny City's decision to resign is based on practicalities," League of Ireland director Fran Gavin said today.

"They do not have sufficient people on board to meet the demands now being placed on clubs in an effort to raise standards throughout the league.

"When the FAI took over the running of the League we said that there would be a realignment as the demands on clubs to adhere to higher standards increased and this is an example of this.

"Kilkenny City were a well run club. They had very good facilities at Buckley Park and managed their finances prudently but they had reached a crossroads.

"After a period of reflection they decided that they didn't want to push on to the next level and I fully understand that and compliment them for their honesty."

Sporting Fingal are now invited to replace Kilkenny on the basis they were the highest ranking team in the recent IAG process for the A Championship.

The club is backed by Fingal County Council and will be managed by former Shamrock Rovers boss Liam Buckley. 

They became one of four new clubs - Tullamore Town, Mervue Utd and Salthill Devon being the others - accepted into the A Division which is effectively a third tier to the league. 

As Kilkenny take a fatal blow to the pocket, Fingal are on the up.  The club is believed to have agreed at sponsorship deal with fruit distributor Keelings for a substantial €250,000 a year.

Fingal County Council intend building a €10million academy near Swords and the team will play their league games from Santry's Morton Stadium.

Kilkenny's division rivals Limerick 37 are urgently seeking new investment as a result of running into financial difficulties just one year after being established.

© 2008 ireland.com

<>

EmailEmail to a Friend | PrintPrint this Page

Sponsored Links

Honey Monster View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Semi-Pro

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2008 at 9:09am
Sad to see but they were gone to sh1tes.
This Sporting Fingal team will be interesting. Have they already got a team together does anyone know?
The Count View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2008 at 9:11am
Yeah they're going to be called Fingal ferrets and word on the street is that  GerKeano is going to be their mascot!
Justice Shark View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2008 at 9:15am
who the hell are Sporting Fingal ? They don't play in the Senior LSL or the top AUL league do they ?
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Semi-Pro

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2008 at 9:16am
So childish Count.....so childish Big%20smile
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Semi-Pro

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2008 at 9:17am
Originally posted by Justice Shark Justice Shark wrote:

who the hell are Sporting Fingal ? They don't play in the Senior LSL or the top AUL league do they ?

No JS, they are a completely new side. They're starting from scratch...
Percy View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2008 at 12:57pm
sad that KK are gone... Buckley park is just down the road from the wifes folks home...

as for Sporting Fingal?... heard a rumour that Steve Staunton is goin to be the manager. And sportings current manager is being interviewed in the car park of Finglas shopping centre on monday by Don givens.
MERRY CHRISTMAS

@IrishPercy
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2008 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by Honey Monster Honey Monster wrote:

Originally posted by Justice Shark Justice Shark wrote:

No JS, they are a completely new side. They're starting from scratch...

How can they get in without promotion?
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Semi-Pro

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2008 at 1:42pm
They dont need it Bob. You cant get promoted into the LOI from any league. The way a side gets in is if they can persuade the LOI that have the finances and more importantly the facilities that are sufficient for the LOI. Once they get their place, then they can worry about sorting out a squad. That's why I'm wondering does the team have the players as the league starts back soon enough...
kiecarew View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2008 at 2:21pm
im from kk and their demise was inevitable. theres no support. no links to local schools or clubs to drum up support. new manager who has to build a new squad every year. and the squads are always from dublin so they end up training in dublin. locals then feel no connection to the players as theres no locals playing. i am from jus down the road from the ground and went to watch em when i lived at home. its sad to see em go.
i'm the boss! i'm the gaffer!
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2008 at 7:59pm
Their demise is simple enough ARSEHOLES like myself support English teams.
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2008 at 7:07am
Sad alright, I suppose soccer's always up against it in a hurling stronghold such as that.  My team played Freshford Town a couple of months back, very nice set up, good lads, good players (they stuffed us 4-0) but their Manager is always losing players at critical times to hurling.   It'a a shame to see what's happened now to Kilkenny City
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Semi-Pro

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2008 at 10:01am
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

Well said Bob. I think it's the way the kids are brought up. I was, like the majority of other Irish football fans, brought up to support a foreign team. It's a real shame but I cant see things changing.
I've an interest in LOI but I cant honestly say I support any side as I wasnt brought up to support any team
greenspur View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2008 at 5:12pm
its a scandal that this is allowed happen! Fai take a bow! another f**king disaster on youre watch delaney! just up the road from your "town" john.
 Another provincial team gone from the LOI, and another Dublin one joins! how great . the "them and us" divide is getting bigger.
No local support because for years the club got journeymen like pat scully to manage the team, he then got rid of the local lads, and brought in his dublin butties, and trained in dublin or carlow!! how is that going to keep local grass roots involved?
i had the honour of refereeing many a game of football in buckley park, at U21 and 1 st div level, and its a shame for a man of such character and absolute dedication to his club, like Jimmy Rhatigan is , to have that club pull out of the loi.
Its a disgrace for the whole of the south east, and for Irish football in general.
Well done FAI.

Edited by greenspur - 20 Jan 2008 at 5:13pm
5-1 to the mighty spurs!!

"we scored 5 and the scum scored 1,do dah do dah..."

wem-be-leeee
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2008 at 5:30pm

Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

Well said Bob. I think it's the way the kids are brought up. I was, like the majority of other Irish football fans, brought up to support a foreign team. It's a real shame but I cant see things changing.
I've an interest in LOI but I cant honestly say I support any side as I wasnt brought up to support any team
Never too late HM, especially for a chung fella like yourself
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Semi-Pro

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2008 at 6:17pm
True Gerk, but it just wouldnt feel right for myself to go and suddenly support some side though. However, i do intend to watch a few more games this season instead of just reading match reports...havent been to a rovers game in a couple of years, maybe i'll go with you and your sham mates Tongue
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2008 at 7:17pm

True Gerk, but it just wouldnt feel right for myself to go and suddenly support some side though. However, i do intend to watch a few more games this season instead of just reading match reports...havent been to a rovers game in a couple of years, maybe i'll go with you and your sham mates Tongue

I'm in the same boat, some mates would be Shamrock Rovers fans but that's it..I fully intend to go and watch some games but how can you just suddenly start supporting a club from scratchErmm
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2008 at 3:45am
lads galway united are the team to support , what with all the dublin teams in the league you can go to see them every two weeks in dublin anyway.
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic