You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Kevin Kilbane has retired

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi® Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kevin Kilbane has retired
    Posted: 11 Aug 2010 at 7:39am

HULL City winger Kevin Kilbane says he has no intentions of calling time on his glittering career international career.

No player can better Kilbane's current record of 103 caps for the Republic of Ireland and the Tigers' star will add to his haul when a star-studded Argentina side arrive in Dublin tonight.

The 33-year-old admits he briefly toyed with the idea of international retirement after suffering a controversial World Cup qualification exit with Thierry Henry's infamous handball last November.

But with his love affair with the international game undiminished after 13 years at the top, Kilbane remains hungry to represent for his country.

"I spoke to people who I hold in high regard and I don't see any real need to pack in," said Kilbane.

"If I'm not required and I'm not called into the squad, then so be it but I want to carry on as long as I can. I take a lot of pride from playing for my country. That buzz you get will never leave me."

Kilbane's desire goes against the modern trend of a premature retirement from the international game. This week has already seen Paul Robinson and Wes Brown – both younger than Kilbane – make themselves unavailable for England squads.

But Kilbane remains confident that he can handle the rigours of the international game and still be ready for club duties at Millwall this weekend.

"People make decisions over their future based on their own individual reasons but from my own point of view, I feel like I can carry on so what's the point in retiring?" he added.

"Some people see it as a chance to extend their club career but looking at my own commitments, it's like an extra 10 games a season.

"That's no real hardship for me and most of the big games come when you're on international breaks anyway.

"Time-wise it's not too much of an inconvenience and the pride of playing for my country makes me want to continue."

Kilbane will be joined by City team-mate Paul McShane when the Republic of Ireland play the first game at their new Aviva Stadium home, a 50,000-seater venue built at a cost of £350m.

Argentina stars Lionel Messi, Diego Milito and Carlos Tevez could all face the Tigers pair and provide the Republic with a stern test ahead of 2012 European Championships qualifying.

Russia and Slovakia provide the most obvious competition in Group B but Kilbane believes the Republic of Ireland can end a decade away from a major tournament under the rule of Giovanni Trapattoni.

He added: "I'd love to go to the Euro Championships. I think we've got a great chance.

"If I'm not called into the squad because the manager doesn't think I'm up to it, that's fair enough, I wouldn't hold that against him. But if I can do a good job and play my part, it's something that I'd love to do."

Edited by Propagandhi® - 11 Aug 2010 at 7:39am
Sponsored Links

RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2010 at 7:41am
well thats his right and fair play to him  , its up to trap to phase him out then
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
irelandshirts View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
I love Ireland jerseys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandshirts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2010 at 7:41am
as the song says"and we stuff him,and we mount him and we put him in the window for a show"he will never retire.killer for presidentWink
WWW.IRELANDSOCCERSHIRTS.COM

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2010 at 7:49am
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

well thats his right and fair play to him  , its up to trap to phase him out then

Exactly. Nothing wrong with him wanting to play and being available.

Trap's call.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

packiesglove View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote packiesglove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2010 at 8:56am
Legend
When you're chewing on life's gristle, don't worry give a whistle....
Justice No. 1 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Justice No. 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2010 at 8:56am
He should be part of the squad as he can slot into a few positions but shouldn't start IMO.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2010 at 9:00am
Originally posted by Propagandhi® Propagandhi® wrote:

"I spoke to people who I hold in high regard and I don't see any real need to pack in," said Kilbane.

watch the Bulgaria games again Kevin , home and away, and you'll see the need LOL

great servant but think its coming to the time were Traps gonna have to drop him, still shud probably get his place in the squad tho
wrestler313 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrestler313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2010 at 11:43am
l e g e n d
Propagandhi® View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi® Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2010 at 7:11am
Hull City midfielder Kevin Kilbane has urged his team-mates to find a degree of consistency in their performances for the remainder of the Championship campaign in an attempt to launch a promotion push.
The Tigers were left puzzled after their first two matches in the second tier, having comfortably seen off the threat of Swansea before crashing to a 4-0 blitz at Millwall.

The mauling in the New Den against the ferocious Lions gave Nigel Pearson's squad a timely reminder of the challenges they face in the coming season.

If any of the former Premier League stars were under the illusion that City's attempts to bounce back would be straightforward, then the result in London quickly ensured any such thoughts were promptly dismissed.

That's because Pearson's men were outfought, outplayed and outmanoeuvred by a team who were two divisions below Hull this time last year.

And Kilbane, who has been privy to many of football's challenges across a career spanning 15 years, warned his colleagues – experienced or otherwise – they need to be savvy to the threat of Championship football.
Having played at this level with former clubs West Brom and Sunderland, the 33-year-old knows the nature of the tasks that lie ahead – although he did admit to the Yorkshire Sport he was surprised with the way City's trip to Millwall materialised.

Kilbane explained: "I know it's going to be tough, I'd like to have been more consistent in the first few games. But we've come up against two contrasting styles in the two games. It was very, very tight but I felt comfortable throughout.

"I think the games will be tight like that. At Millwall, we needed to keep things a lot tighter.

"I think if we can keep games tight then we're going to have enough ability to get goals.

"I certainly wasn't expecting that last weekend. If you do lose games you want to try and lose them by the odd goal and maybe a little bit of damage limitation sometimes.

"You don't want to be conceding a lot of goals because you only give yourself an outside chance of chasing games back.

"I think we've just got to try keep an even keel and try and keep ourselves in games. If we're not playing well, just try to stay in the match at 0-0 as long as possible."
The quality of the Championship has been subject to conjecture in the past, but the advent of parachute payments – and players willing to prolong their careers at a lower level – has seen English football's second tier become an extremely competitive division.

And in the week former Champions League participants Craig Bellamy and Edgar Davids linked-up with Cardiff City and Crystal Palace respectively – Kilbane needs no further reminder of the quality he and his colleagues will come up against this season.

"I'm not surprised," said Kilbane when asked about the calibre of football's new hotbed. "I've played at every level of English football at a professional level so I know what it's all about.
"I know that there's players in the lower leagues that can make that step up if given the opportunity so there's a lot of really talented players and a lot of talented teams in this division.
"It's going to be tough for us all.

"Without a doubt, I was really surprised that Craig Bellamy has made the step down and I think he's going to prove an amazing addition to their side.

"I think he'll get goals this year and it's mainly his attitude. Talk about attitude and Craig Bellamy's, on the pitch, is exceptional and his work rate is phenomenal.

"It adds to the division. Everyone's talking about this division possibly being the most exciting in the country so there's not a lot separating the teams."

Not that the Irish star is unduly worried by the bar being raised – he has full confidence in those young Tigers still wet behind the ears, as well as those wily old campaigners.

In fact, he believes the blend of the two can create a winning formula.

And he denies the accusation that City's youngsters will be daunted by the cauldron that greets them in some of the league's more hostile venues, much like the atmosphere at Millwall.

He went on: "If you can get on that little consistent run and be solid and compact and not concede goals – unlike we did last week – then we've got a real, real chance. But we just need to be a little more consistent.

"We've made two or three additions to the team but we've also got the younger players that have been at the club a long time now and have not had the chance to really go on and progress.

"Now this is their chance, their big chance to go on this season and show their worth in the team.

"I don't think they'll be overawed. I think they've got enough about them. They're all really level headed here and they're all players that have got tremendous work rates. I don't think they'll be affected by one defeat. Probably, it'll be the older heads that get affected by results like last week."

With Pearson selectively adding to his squad, and offloading those surplus to requirements, hopes of a real challenge for the top six are mounting.

Robert Koren has injected vigour and flair, while the prospect of former Arsenal academy product Jay Simpson hitting the net has many salivating at the thought of a goal rush in the coming weeks.

But one flaw that still needs to be addressed is the away form, which has procured a barren run without a win on the road stretching back to March 2009.

Indeed, Kilbane knows the coach travel curse must be lifted to mount a serious attempt at regaining Premier League status.

"I was really confident going into the Millwall game. I felt we could have got something from the game but I think if we can go away and pick up points that'll be key to us.

"But really it's going to come down to our home form. If we get a good run of games at home, try to stay unbeaten as long as possible then that's going to be our key to promotion this season.

"We've got to be stronger. We just didn't perform at Millwall, collectively or individually, so that's something we're looking to improve on."

And asked directly his aim for the season, 'Killer' was unremittingly positive: "Promotion. Without a doubt. I feel as though it's definitely within our grasp and it's something we're capable of doing but it's certainly easier said than done.

"We've got enough talent in this team. It's work rate and application that gets you promoted at the end of the day. If we go out with the right attitude in every game then we won't be far off."

Vivakenbarlow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivakenbarlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2010 at 8:37am
At one stage against argentina he pushed the ball past di maria and tried to take him on for pace He wouldnt beat the likes of di maria for pace if he was on a moped!

Edited by Vivakenbarlow - 23 Aug 2010 at 8:38am
It took City 44 years to win the league and 10 months to lose it
kelvin View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelvin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2010 at 8:40am
Originally posted by Vivakenbarlow Vivakenbarlow wrote:

He would beat the likes of di maria for pace if he was on a moped!

I doubt it. He'd probably fall off it half way past. He's as awkward as a hippo on crutches.            
irelandfan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2010 at 5:59pm
kevin  has been a servant to irish football and he is been ever present in irish squads since he made his debut against iceland so many years ago and i applaude him for that. however i feel its time he calls time on his irish career i want kevin to be remembered for the legend that he is and not to be remembered for having an international career that went on far to long. He already has 100 caps now maybe its time to let the younger lads come through.
irelandshirts View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
I love Ireland jerseys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandshirts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 3:09am
i agree that he cant go on for ever but if he is fit,playing regular football at a high level with his club he has to be in the squad.how long he can go on for?who knows.a time will come when the manager says thanks for the memories killer but id say he has great respect in the squad and with a lot of young players you need a few wise heads,not only on the field but off it aswell.cant have players forgetting what it means to play for Ireland and how each cap is worth the sacrifice/travelling/time away from family/prolonging of your club career etc.
WWW.IRELANDSOCCERSHIRTS.COM

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 3:23am
Players should not really retire from international football as long as they are being picked for the squads.  If Trap leaves him out of squads then Kilbane should probably retire but as long as he makes the squad he is right to turn up because he loves representing his country and you are long time retired and a long time dead. 
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 3:25am

I’ll never lose respect for Killer and the shifts he has put in for Ireland. He is about as loyal and committed as they come but feel he is (despite 100+ caps) in danger of losing respect of many. The lad is being played out of position. He is a winger but the legs have gone.

YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Stoked Up View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 5:37am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Players should not really retire from international football as long as they are being picked for the squads.  If Trap leaves him out of squads then Kilbane should probably retire but as long as he makes the squad he is right to turn up because he loves representing his country and you are long time retired and a long time dead. 
Exactly. If Kilbane is still willing to play, when others have shied away from international football as they've gotten older, his legend status grows. It's the manager's call whether he plays or not.
The Count View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Count Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 5:55am
Originally posted by Stoked Up Stoked Up wrote:

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Exactly. If Kilbane is still willing to play, when others have shied away from international football as they've gotten older, his legend status grows. It's the manager's call whether he plays or not.

Clap
NexusDavid View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NexusDavid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 9:20am
what a legend!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
  Share Topic